• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

can any other private companies bring a prosecution that could result in criminal con

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Do any other private companies (apart from TOCs and TfL) routinely bring magistrates court proceedings for matters?

Indeed, is a list available of all bodies other than police/CPS who can prosecute?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Insurance companies are increasingly taking fraudulent claimants to court for falsifying details to maximise compo claims.

Ediswan

Established Member
Not exactly companies, but I have noticed that the Civil Aviation Authority and the RSPCA have some powers to prosecute.

transmanche

Established Member
Ah, but do any other private industries have their own set of byelaws? That's the crux of it.
These private organisations all have byelaws - and can prosecute offenders in a magistrates court:
  • BAA plc and other airport operators
  • National Trust and National Trust for Scotland
  • Canal & River Trust (formerly British Waterways)
  • Water companies

richw

Veteran Member
Some retailers have been known to launch court cases against shoplifters to recover their costs, where the police have been less than adequate. A local businessman to myself about 18 months ago released a press article stating he had far greater success at recovering full costs from shoplifters when he's brought the case privately to court, than going through the police to get a suspect to court.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

transmanche

Established Member
Some retailers have been known to launch court cases against shoplifters to recover their costs, where the police have been less than adequate. A local businessman to myself about 18 months ago released a press article stating he had far greater success at recovering full costs from shoplifters when he's brought the case privately to court, than going through the police to get a suspect to court.
Aren't they civil cases (suing for losses/damages) rather than criminal prosecutions?

richw

Veteran Member
Aren't they civil cases (suing for losses/damages) rather than criminal prosecutions?

I don't honestly know, I just recall the businessman stating privately going to court was more successful than police involvement

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

transmanche

Established Member
I don't honestly know, I just recall the businessman stating privately going to court was more successful than police involvement
You often see notices in shops saying that they participate in a 'Civil Recovery Scheme', so definitely civil and not criminal.

34D

Established Member
Insurance companies are increasingly taking fraudulent claimants to court for falsifying details to maximise compo claims.

But surely this would be a civil claim, or else they would be reporting to police for fraud?

Thanks all for responses so far

AntoniC

Customs & Excise merged with Inland Revenue in 2005 to become HMRC.

At that point all the Border Guards were hived off to form the UK Border Agency.

HMRC dont prosecute anyone anymore after allegations of corruption and rank bad practice by C&E, all prosecutions are now authorised by Revenue & Customs Prosecutions Office (RCPO) AFTER cases are submitted to them.

Can the Border Agency/Customs & Excise bring their own prosecutions? As far as I'm aware they both have their own powers of arrest at least.

Realfish

The BBC / Capita for failing or refusing to pay your share of the £4bn television tax.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Do any other private companies (apart from TOCs and TfL) routinely bring magistrates court proceedings for matters?
Yes. Individuals, Companies, Partnerships, Cooperatives and any other legal identity may Prosecute Offences (including many Offences that may normally be Prosecuted by the CPS or a Council).

Consider, for example, Section 82 of the 1990 Environmental Protection Act (which creates offences from Nuisance, Contamination etc). "A magistrates’ court may act under this section on a complaint made by any person on the ground that he is aggrieved by the existence of a statutory nuisance"

Indeed, is a list available of all bodies other than police/CPS who can prosecute?
Such a list of all those I have referred to above would be so large as to be unweildy and would be of little value as many of them may not, in effect, be active.

Sidious

Anyone may 'lay an information' to a magistrate to have an alleged criminal offence heard in court.

Flamingo

Established Member
So it looks like the railways are not uniquely empowered after all. How disappointing <D

transmanche

Established Member
Yes. Individuals, Companies, Partnerships, Cooperatives and any other legal identity may Prosecute Offences (including many Offences that may normally be Prosecuted by the CPS or a Council).
Indeed, but very few companies have a specific set of laws designed especially for them and only applicable on their premises.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Anyone may 'lay an information' to a magistrate to have an alleged criminal offence heard in court.
Yes, they may (subject to some minor constraints), but while the matter may be laid before the Court (and a Fee might be taken by the Court), the Magistrates Court will not have the jurisdiction to determine a Decision in all matters!

Indeed, but very few companies have a specific set of laws designed especially for them and only applicable on their premises.
Maybe not a great many, but there are plenty. And certainly not 'very few'.
At the risk of veering off-topic, legislation comes to mind affecting specifically those Companies operating in forests, ports, power stations, hospitals, postal services, broadcasters, publishers, builders, accountants, public security, foreign embasies, road traffic management on the highways, in schools, banks, farms, prisons, sex establishments, military stores, telecoms transmitters, waste processing plants, pubs, cemetaries, entertainment venues, animal residences, factories and many others (not all of that legislations is exclusively applicable 'on their premises' as you put it, but all very specific to Companies operating in those areas).

But you might be right in that some Companies do not have laws specifically designed for them that are only applicable on their premises. I can think of arms dealers and hairdressers.

I'm, puzzled to understand what distinction you wanted to draw out by your comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.