• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car Freight Train on Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6312439.stm

laun.jpg

Rail journeys will continue to be affected until Wednesday following a blaze on a train on the main railway line between Scotland and England. Network Rail said it was "very hopeful" the line would reopen within 24 hours of Tuesday's fire in East Lothian.

The train was carrying 36 new cars, which were destroyed.

Buses have replaced trains between North Berwick and Prestonpans, with rail services starting and terminating at Berwick upon Tweed.

The train was being removed at 1300 GMT on Tuesday to make way for engineers to begin fixing overhead cables with "extensive damage".

It is understood the track and signalling cables were not damaged during the fire.

Lothian and Borders Police said the final three carriages of the train had caught fire and the 36 vehicles on board had been destroyed.

Eyewitness Steve Dalgleish told the BBC Scotland news website: "I passed this train at 0730 GMT and it was well alight.

"Fifteen foot flames were visible from Drem and there were multiple fire engines and emergency vehicles on scene."

Householders near the railway line were advised by police to close their doors and windows because of smoke although a south-westerly wind was blowing fumes away from the residential area.

Cooling down

By 1000 GMT on Tuesday, firefighters were cooling down the carriages by spraying cold water on them from two hoses.

Network Rail said there were no trains running south of Edinburgh on the line and trains travelling north were terminating at either Newcastle or Berwick as a result of the fire.

The 10-wagon train, operated by freight carrier EWS, left Washwood Heath, Birmingham, at 2153 GMT on Monday and had been due into Bathgate, West Lothian, at 0832 GMT on Tuesday.

EWS, which operates about 800 freight trains a day across the country, refused to say what type of vehicles were being transported.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Why would terrorists set a freight train on fire...? :neutral:

Nick W

Established Member
Glad the car (if it was the cause) set on fire when it was on the train and not later when it's in the hands of a customer.

class 313

Established Member
I quote from that link

Chorus:
Freight train freight train goin' so fast
Freight train freight train goin' so fast
Please don't tell what train I'm due
I think all the burning flames are a clue.
Freight train, freight train, comin' round the track
Freight train, freight train, like a smokestack
Flames are a-licking all around
Heading into into Lothian towns.
(Chorus)
One more thing I'd like to see
Lots of firefighters waiting for me
Hoses raised like a watery salute
And water pouring like out of a chute.
(Chorus)
I don't know why my train's all aflame
As I'm going towards old Drem
The fire's destroying lots of motors
Hope there's a journo taking photers!!.

I found that quite funny :)

tubenutter

"between Scotland and England" -- is there some strange country that I don't know about there?

Hentis

Nice to see that the media are well informed over railway terminology.

Since when has a Wagon been called a carriage?

Also the cars and vans were Citroens.

Haha at least they wont be going to turn into a ice skating 6 meter high robot!!!

Hentis

Status
Not open for further replies.