• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car on tracks at Norwich Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubs

An investigation has been launched into how a car ended up on part of the train tracks at Norwich station.

The incident happened this morning when the silver car came off the platform and onto some unused tracks.

A Greater Anglia spokesperson said: “We are currently investigating how the car came to be on the tracks at Norwich.

“It happened on a section of track which is not used for in-service passenger trains, and services will not be affected by this incident.”

The incident was not related to Storm Doris.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...nto_tracks_at_norwich_train_station_1_4904121

Oops!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
If the track isn't needed, rather than spend too much time investigating, mught make sense to wait until the owner comes back, or just check the ANPR database. Most likely cause is a lack of use of the handbrake combined with a slope (unlikely on a platform) or a puff of wind.

chubs

If the track isn't needed, rather than spend too much time investigating, mught make sense to wait until the owner comes back, or just check the ANPR database. Most likely cause is a lack of use of the handbrake combined with a slope (unlikely on a platform) or a puff of wind.

It's a siding off to the side of the station which often has cars parked on it (not sure why). I think it used to be the royal mail siding. There's often locos and other miscellaneous things parked in the sidings themselves, although I'm not sure if the particular one the car is 'parked' in is ever used.

All very visible from platform 1 so probably a few pics around!

TheEdge

Established Member
It's a siding off to the side of the station which often has cars parked on it (not sure why). I think it used to be the royal mail siding. There's often locos and other miscellaneous things parked in the sidings themselves, although I'm not sure if the particular one the car is 'parked' in is ever used.

All very visible from platform 1 so probably a few pics around!

Its the Royal Dock, it used to be the platform used by mail and parcels services. DRS tend to dump locos in sidings at the London end of the platform and at night there is often stock stabled in there. The car has fallen onto the Royal Dock which is used but very rarely during the day.

There are cars parked on there as it acts as a staff/contractor/DRS/NR car park.

chubs

Its the Royal Dock, it used to be the platform used by mail and parcels services. DRS tend to dump locos in sidings at the London end of the platform and at night there is often stock stabled in there. The car has fallen onto the Royal Dock which is used but very rarely during the day.

There are cars parked on there as it acts as a staff/contractor/DRS/NR car park.

Any idea how it happened? Assume the owner is very red faced :oops:

LAX54

Established Member
Used to park there back in the 80's when I travelled up to work by train, always scared me when backing out how close to the edge I got sometimes !

dk1

Veteran Member
It's used by lots of Traincrew after the early evening cut-off for staff using the Riveside multi-storey & much more during the dreaded school holidays when traffic queues for lengthy periods to enter it. No need for ott fencing as I can only remember this happening twice in 32yrs. Just a shame there wasn't an IC set or another train stabled there which would have stopped it going over.

Class 170101

Established Member
One would like to think the IC train was in use somewhere and not parked in sidings to 'cover' for human errors.

GB

Established Member
Do you know it was human error rather than mechanical malfunction? I don't think an IC set will quite fit there in any case!

dk1

Veteran Member
Do you know it was human error rather than mechanical malfunction? I don't think an IC set will quite fit there in any case!

An IC set sits there every night & quite often if there has been a cancellation during the day. Both the Royal Dock & the siding beside it where electrified for this purpose a few years ago.

GB

Established Member
An IC set sits there every night & quite often if there has been a cancellation during the day. Both the Royal Dock & the siding beside it where electrified for this purpose a few years ago.

Yes you are right. When the first picture came out I was looking at it from a different orientation so thought it was a different location to what it actually is.

CosherB

Established Member
You wouldn't believe how often cars are driven down tram tracks in Manchester! :cry:

robbeech

Established Member
Well it had been moved by Friday lunch, the 59 was still there sitting comfortably.

dk1

Veteran Member
I was going to say, we don't often see a 59 this end of the GEML :lol:

The loco in question would have been in the Long or Short Dock rather than the Royal Dock.

Class 170101

Established Member

Thats not the point. The IC set has a job to do carrying passengers. Its job isn't to prevent cars ending up in the situation described, however it got there :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.