• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s often necessary to shop around to obtain an excess. Remember that a change of route excess can be purchased onboard with no extra charge or penalty.

Though given how "competent" TOC prosecutions departments often are (even worse if it's TIL) it might not be advisable to do this if you're able to get it beforehand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Though given how "competent" TOC prosecutions departments often are (even worse if it's TIL) it might not be advisable to do this if you're able to get it beforehand.

We hear lots of reports of TOC Prosecution Departments getting things wrong but even TIL at their worst would struggle with this. The NRCoT is quite clear on this (my emphasis):

9.5 Where you:
9.5.1 are using a time-restricted Ticket (such as an “off-peak” or “super-off-peak” Ticket) that is correctly dated but invalid for the service on which you are travelling; or
9.5.2 are using a route for which your Ticket is not valid; or
9.5.3 break your journey when you are not permitted to do so; you will be charged the difference between the fare that you have paid and the lowest price Ticket that is valid for the train you are using.

Halsebee

Thank you, I will buy the tickets at the station , armed with this information.
Can I ask another qusetion?
I plan to travel on the 0719 from Taunton, change Westbury. Surprisingly the off peak £62.40 Taunton Worthing ticket appears to be valid on this early service according to the booking engines (and Taunton does not appear in the list of time restricted station with the restriction code). However, the suggested journey involves a wait for 65 mins at Westbury. There is a very tight connection ( 4 minutes) at Westbury to catch the 0803 train to Southampton, which clearly isn't within the minimum change time, but it might be possible to shave an hour off the journey by being lucky ( and quick) at Westbury. But I'm not sure the off peak ticket is valid on the 0803 from Westbury. there seems to be a time restriction before 0850 from Westbury? As the ticket is valid from Taunton would I be allowed to use the 0803 if I managed to get on it?

Who are TIL?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TIL are a company that handles train company prosecution cases.

Transport Investigations Ltd, apologies.

An utterly objectionable organisation if ever there was one. Not because I have an issue with fare-dodgers getting their comeuppance, but because their competence is, shall we say, limited.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you, I will buy the tickets at the station , armed with this information.
Can I ask another qusetion?
I plan to travel on the 0719 from Taunton, change Westbury. Surprisingly the off peak £62.40 Taunton Worthing ticket appears to be valid on this early service according to the booking engines (and Taunton does not appear in the list of time restricted station with the restriction code). However, the suggested journey involves a wait for 65 mins at Westbury. There is a very tight connection ( 4 minutes) at Westbury to catch the 0803 train to Southampton, which clearly isn't within the minimum change time, but it might be possible to shave an hour off the journey by being lucky ( and quick) at Westbury. But I'm not sure the off peak ticket is valid on the 0803 from Westbury. there seems to be a time restriction before 0850 from Westbury? As the ticket is valid from Taunton would I be allowed to use the 0803 if I managed to get on it?

Who are TIL?
The restriction code is Q8, which lists the earliest times you can depart listed stations and then helpfully adds:
Notes
Off-Peak tickets from stations not listed are valid for connections into trains departing as shown above
So as the restriction is 08:50 from Westbury, you can take any train from Taunton to connect into that. But you wouldn't be valid to take the 08:03 to Southampton if you managed to catch it.

If you did want to take the 08:03 to Southampton you'd want the Anytime Return, which is thankfully not very much more expensive - £75.50 vs £62.40.

jfollows

Established Member
I didn't buy the ticket, pending asking for advice here
I think Hadders gave you a better response than mine, probably hitting upon the reason for the duff information you were given ..... if you shop around and make it clear that the excess is for the return portion (I'm sure you did) you will hopefully be lucky and get what you need. It's a shame that it will take this, but I guess a change of route excess isn't a common experience for most people selling tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.