• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes to National Rail Enquiries website

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What's going on with NRE? There seem to be some changes to the layout and options, but more significantly it's massively broken - dates disappear, ticket types don't show up etc. And the "show calling points" link is mysteriously absent from itineraries :|

Anyone else having problems? I'm using Internet Explorer 9 (not my choice).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
On Firefox the differences are mainly colour blocks, all the information is there.

Sounds like MS failing to comply with standards yet again

D6975

Established Member
It's changed, but everything's still there.
Using IE8 at work (similarly not my choice).
Firefox at home.
They've put the return journey there by default now, rather than having to select it as an 'extra' - good move.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I assume the changes they've made just made it wobble for some people.

I'm on Chrome, seems fine to me.

Ivo

Established Member
Bit of a shock seeing the change, but no problems for me (IE8). Other than the usual NRE hopelessness anyway.

SS4

Established Member
Works in Rekonq (and I suspect all webkit browsers by extension) even better than in firefox. One change I do not like is that the default is now TheTrainLine instead of the TOC involved ([stn]BHM[/stn]-[stn]FOK[/stn] should have LM written all over it)

All Line Rover

Established Member
The core NRE website hasn't changed - just the front end has been improved, although a few new extra features have been added.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Works in Rekonq (and I suspect all webkit browsers by extension) even better than in firefox. One change I do not like is that the default is now TheTrainLine instead of the TOC involved ([stn]BHM[/stn]-[stn]FOK[/stn] should have LM written all over it)

Strange... Checked RDG-PAD and it correctly suggested FGW.

Checked BHM-FOK, first suggested London Overground, which gave an error on selecting "Buy Now", then refreshed with ATW selected, same again, GC, then SWT, LO, XC, SR...

All Line Rover

Established Member

That's a good spot. Although NRE still, on the whole, directs you to the website of the TOC involve, where it cannot recognise that TOC (there seems to be a fault with the above journey), it automatically directs you to Thetrainline instead of asking you to select a retailer from the list. A bit naughty that, although at least they haven't made Thetrainline the default option for all journeys!

Ivo

Established Member
A few tests...

(1) Shoeburyness to Thorpe Bay; c2c :)
(2) Birmingham New Street to Four Oaks; SR <(
(3) Weymouth to Yeovil Pen Mill; FGW :)
(4) Scarborough to York; TPE :)
(5) Edinburgh to Falkirk High; SR :)
(6) Brighton to Southampton Central; SN :)
(7) Chester to Holyhead; ATW :)
(8) Lincoln to Newark North Gate :)

It just seems to be that one flow. How odd.

SS4

Established Member
Strange... Checked RDG-PAD and it correctly suggested FGW.

Checked BHM-FOK, first suggested London Overground, which gave an error on selecting "Buy Now", then refreshed with ATW selected, same again, GC, then SWT, LO, XC, SR...

So it does :shock:
BHM-FOK seems to change with each press of the refresh button as does FOK-BRV [Bournville]. Must be a regional thing?

Is anyone else having any problems with a date for the return journey not being recognised first time? I'm trying it with today.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well, if by "improved" you mean "rendered almost unusable"...

Glad to hear that it's working OK in proper browsers though.

NRE (run by ATOC) seem almost as bad as ATOS! :lol: It's as if they do no cross-compatibility checks whatsoever. Just update the website now and then, and then take months to fix all those little problems they've just created. :roll:

SS4

Established Member
LTV - FOK works as LM :)
CRD-FOK comes up FTPE <(

Perhaps it's the direction that matters? Or perhaps Four Oaks is too posh to associate with LM :lol:

district

Three Oaks - Four Oaks suggested Virgin Trains.

And yes, I'm having to manually enter a date in :(

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
No calling points link shown for me, no edit journey or passenger option is working and routeing information doesn't show. Ticket information midway down doesn't show either. I'm using Chrome.

Ivo

Established Member
The Multiple Via Points feature still doesn't seem to want to work, having not worked previously (:roll:), but otherwise everything is fine for me (except this return date thing everyone is complaining about :roll:).

Last edited:

phil35

It's broken for me in IE9 too. For example, clicking the "more options, railcards & passengers" dropdown just doesn't do anything. Neither does clicking the NRE username link at the top to bring down account settings.

It seems to work better in Chrome, but there are still things like the "show all calling points link" missing.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I have IE9 and its working fine for me, I had just come from broken London Midland page too (throwing up errors when trying to include Metro destinations)

calc7

Established Member
Birmingham to Four Oaks is priced by West Midlands PTE, not LM, so this is probably the source of the website's issue here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Three Oaks - Four Oaks suggested Virgin Trains.

The Any Permitted flow is priced by Virgin. :)

Schnellzug

Established Member
Oh yes, that seems to be an improvement, unusually. It does seem easier to use, live Departure boards seem to be more convenient, and having the option for return Journeys seems a lot more convenient to use. On the whole I think I would give a Thumbs up.

(i'm using inter Net Explorer, incidentally.)

4SRKT

Established Member
If you select a return journey and click on 'tomorrow' for the return date it returns a message (covered in red all over the screen) inviting you to enter a valid date for the return.

Also as pointed out the TOC logo showing who the provider is appears to be completely random.

phil35

It's broken for me in IE9 too. For example, clicking the "more options, railcards & passengers" dropdown just doesn't do anything. Neither does clicking the NRE username link at the top to bring down account settings.

It seems to work better in Chrome, but there are still things like the "show all calling points link" missing.

Well all these issues seem to be fixed now, including the "show all calling points" link being visible again.

Reckon they saw this thread? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.