• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chemical Weapons & Railway Tunnels - Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff Plunkett

I draw the readers attention to an article I recently wrote for Australian Railway History, Chemical Warfare & Railway Tunnels. Surely one of the strangest uses for a railway tunnel was for the storage of chemical weapons. This occured west and south of Sydney, Australia during World War II and hundreds of thousands of weapons went through the four tunnels. The article is available in PDF format here;

Chemical Weapons & Railway Tunnels

See also Railway Historians Join Chemical Warfare Issue

and Chemical Warfare in Australia

Best
Geoff
[email protected]

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Geoff

That was a great article and I'm still amazed by the number of things that took place during the War that are only coming to light today!

Metroland

Established Member
All sorts of things were done in the UK during the war too. Decoy yards were common, one existed near March, Cambridgeshire at Benwick for Whitemoor. They locals didn't know about it until well after the war!

In cold war days there was also 'The strategic reserves', a bunch of steam locos kept for a post nuclear attack - nuclear weapons destroy electronics in cars, planes, modern trains etc

Bill EWS

Another ploy was when the military took over a number of large country houses and gave them names like HMS something or other and entered the names into the list of battleships. This was a ploy to fool the enemy into wasting time searching for a battleship that didn't exist. There is a couple in Berkshire and Wiltshire but they were probably all over the place. You can see one just south of Southcote Jct. on the Basingstoke branch.

Geoff Plunkett

For those interested two of the chemical warfare armourers, Geoff Burn and Arthur Lewis will feature on an upcoming episode of 'Cities of the Underworld' on the History Channel called Alcatraz Down Under. Their sequence was entirely shot in Glenbrook tunnel in the Blue Mountains of Australia. It will appear on Australia TV on Monday March 9th at 8.30pm (with an encore screening on Saturday 15th of March at 6.30pm). For US times see;

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=406276&action=detail

peterinsurrey

very interesting about the glenbrook tunnel. I visited the tunnel as a kid a number of times. The only thing there was the mushroom farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.