• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

chester to porthmadog or pwllheli

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert2000

a ticket via the ffestiniog railway was available from the ticket machines a few years ago, but when i checked on the ticket machines this year, route "ffestiniog railway" never came up. even on days it was running, i even tried it with a single.

is this ticket still available as i do not really want to go via shrewsbury/machynlleth as it does not give me much time in my destination.

plus i dont want the round robin ticket as i want two journeys on the ffestiniog because i want to go home the same day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't find anything in NFM04 for Chester to Porthmadog or Pwllheli other than "Any Permitted" expensive tickets (or AP tickets routed Shrewsbury).

I cannot find a ticket routed Ffestiniog railway in NFM03, NFM01 or NFM95 (which dates back to early 2007).

robert2000

Yes, it was April 2007. I wish I had kept the ticket.

I needed to go to Porthmadog, when I saw the queue for tickets i went to the machine instead, it offered me 2 routes, "Ffestiniog Railway" and "Shrewsbury".

I remember some one bought a ticket from Porthmadog Harbour to Betws-y-Coed, so obviously some kind of through ticket can be used.

I don't mean to sound a pain but is there anyone I could contact or you could contact about this ticket....

...unless the round robin took over from it?

Mind you, route "Shrewsbury" is only £22 day return from Chester to Porthmadog

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NFM95 covers that period, so I'd have thought it would come up.

ATW are the people to contact, but it may be worth also contacting the Ffestiniog Railway too.

The Round Robin can't have directly replaced it as that appears to only permit 1 single journey on the Ffestiniog Railway.

robert2000

ive just noticed its £22 return to stations around porthmadog pwllheli area on the cambrian coast.

but, its £33.50 to penychain, why?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
its ok, i found 1 of the tickets on nationalrail

chester to minffordd ffestiniog railway return. £54.20, in the details it routes llandudno junction.

that price must be wrong because my ticket to porthmadog via llandudno junction/ffestiniog railway was only £20 and tht was 2 years ago.

id stick to the other route of £22 and for the extra hour journey aswell, lol id get my moneys worth there.

ashworth

Established Member
I did the journey from Chester to Porthmadog in July and used a North wales Day Rover Ticket @ £22.
This does not allow travel on the Ffestiniog Railway but it does allow bus travel from Bangor to Porthmadog

button_boxer

Established Member
Mind you, route "Shrewsbury" is only £22 day return from Chester to Porthmadog

I know this is probably heresy for a rail forum, but you might be better off getting a £22 all-zones North Wales Rover, which would cover the train from Chester to Bangor and the X32 TrawsCambria bus from Bangor to Porthmadog. I haven't checked the times but that may be faster than going via Shrewsbury.

The old all-zones Tocyn Taith ticket used to cover the Ffestiniog Railway, but it's now been replaced by the NW Rover which doesn't :(

robert2000

thanks for the advice, but im not a huge bus fan.

i did the x94 from chester to barmouth, lol never again.

First class

Established Member
Buy Chester-MINFF/PTHMDG FR (via Blaenau Ffest FR)

Saver Return @ £26.10 - no restrictions

Porthmadog-Pwlhelli £4.00 return

Total £30.10 return via Blaenau Ffest.

robert2000

i cant find the £26.10 fare you are talking about, which site is it on.

sorry to be a pain, and is this a ticket that you cannot purchase at a machine?

ashworth

Established Member
thanks for the advice, but im not a huge bus fan.

i did the x94 from chester to barmouth, lol never again.

The relatively short journey from Bangor to Porthmadog is not really like long journey from Chester to Barmouth. That probably would be a dreadful journey to make.
For a return fare of only £22 surely it is worth putting up with a bus ride.

First class

Established Member
i cant find the £26.10 fare you are talking about, which site is it on.

sorry to be a pain, and is this a ticket that you cannot purchase at a machine?

You would have to go to a ticket office- a machine probably won't sell you this. I get the price from a Ticket Issuing System (TIS) that you would not have access to. It does, I believe, appear in NFM04 which I will shortly try for you.
SVR - OFF-PEAK R ATW
00961 - BLAENAU FFEST FR

1 Adult @£ 26.10 = £ 26.10

Standard Class Return

FROM CHESTER (2412) TO MINFF/PTHMDG FR (H074)

When you go the booking office, tell them your destination code is H074 and they will be able to find your ticket instantly.

Also, if you travel after 9am, you can get a Cheap Day Return for £25.50.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
It does, I believe, appear in NFM04 which I will shortly try for you.
SVR - OFF-PEAK R ATW
00961 - BLAENAU FFEST FR

1 Adult @£ 26.10 = £ 26.10

Standard Class Return

FROM CHESTER (2412) TO MINFF/PTHMDG FR (H074)

When you go the booking office, tell them your destination code is H074 and they will be able to find your ticket instantly.

Also, if you travel after 9am, you can get a Cheap Day Return for £25.50.
The fare is the same £25.50 CDR or £26.10 SVR in National Fares Manual NFM 05, which will operate from Januray to May 2010. The ticket issued to you will state:
From CHESTER
To MINFF/PTHMDG FR
Route BLAENAU FFEST FR

robert2000

Also there is 1 other thing, i think i mentioned it b4, does any1 know why certain stations on the cambriam coast are more expensive to travel to than others, again the ticket is from chester via shrewsbury.

to pwllheli its £22 day return
to penychanin £33.40 and its nearer than pwllheli

theres 1 or 2 other stations on that coast line that are priced higher, is it because they are popular holiday destinations/days out.

CCF23

You could use the Ffestiniog Round Robin

Here's the link http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr9ef8ea0d8240bfae38accb393ae920/details.html

At £25 it may be £3 dearer but is a quicker and more exciting journey than via Shrewsbury,plus it can be used as a daily rover for further travel (£12.50 for a child)

[/QUOTE] theres 1 or 2 other stations on that coast line that are priced higher, is it because they are popular holiday destinations/days out.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have thought so because Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Barmouth, Harlech etc all probably have higher passenger usage than Penychain.

paul1609

Established Member
Interestingly Southern Webtis has a destination of Porthmadog FR but cant find any fares for journeys to it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also there is 1 other thing, i think i mentioned it b4, does any1 know why certain stations on the cambriam coast are more expensive to travel to than others, again the ticket is from chester via shrewsbury.

to pwllheli its £22 day return
to penychanin £33.40 and its nearer than pwllheli

theres 1 or 2 other stations on that coast line that are priced higher, is it because they are popular holiday destinations/days out.
It's probably because there is no logic to it. It's perfectly valid to buy a ticket to Pwllheli and cut your journey "short" though. Some say it's morally wrong but that's nonsense and that assertion assumes the TOCs are morally right, which is extremely dubious at best!

There are many more examples, I would name them but we've had several topics on that theme already recently ;) Example 1 Example 2

ivanhoe

Pen Y Chain was the station for Butlins.The higher fare is probably historic as Butlins is no longer there.

Most people would have got the Crosville there but I feel that I maybe showing my age!

Status
Not open for further replies.