• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chichester to Edinburgh 27th Dec to 30th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtrainz

I am looking for some advice again following the release of EC's advance tickets.

We are looking to travel (2 adults and 2 children) from Chichester to Edinburgh on the above dates. We do not have any railcards, and would ideally like to travel outwards in the morning of the 27th December, and would like to return in the afternoon of the 30th December. First class, as long as the price is not too extortionate!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adtrainz

Apologies,it's in December (Dates changed due to different circumstances)

Would somebody mind changing the title for me?

sonic2009

Established Member
I suggest you get yourself a Family + Friends Railcard, as this will save 1/3 on Adult Fares and 60% for the Children and effectly pays for itself : Family Railcard Website

This can be bought online or at your local station.

There seems to be no advance fares for Chichester - Edinburgh Currently this may be something to do with Southern's Booking Horizons, someone else may be able to explain this but looking on East Coast i cannot seem to find any.

paul1609

Established Member
I am looking for some advice again following the release of EC's advance tickets.

We are looking to travel (2 adults and 2 children) from Chichester to Edinburgh on the above dates. We do not have any railcards, and would ideally like to travel outwards in the morning of the 27th December, and would like to return in the afternoon of the 30th December. First class, as long as the price is not too extortionate!

Chichester to Gatwick, BA to Edinburgh, Taxi to destination. It will be cheaper tons more pleasant and more reliable and about half the time.
South Coast to Scotland by rail is for hard core enthusiasts only!

John @ home

Established Member

First Class with children aged 5 - 15 does tend to be extortionate because Family & Friends Railcards offer no discount on First Class fares.

The first recommendation is to buy a Family & Friends Railcard. You're likely to save more than the Railcard costs on this journey alone.

It appears that FCC Thameslink trains will be running through central London on Friday 30 December but not on Tuesday 27 December. When these trains are running, then by far the easiest way across London on this journey uses a cross-platform or same-platform change at East Croydon and a short walk between St Pancras and Kings Cross.

I would recommend watching the Southern site daily and booking Advance tickets from Chichester to Victoria, and from East Croydon to Chichester for the appropriate dates as soon as they become available. Until 31 October, there is a 34% discount on Southern's Advance tickets if bought on that site. It's not worth paying for First Class accommodation on Southern's Class 377 trains. First Class and Standard accommodation is almost identical.

Similarly, watch the East Coast site daily and book Advance tickets London - Edinburgh and return for the appropriate dates as soon as they become available. There is a 11% discount on East Coast's Advance tickets if bought on that site, and you can use the Choose your Seat facility to ensure that you are all placed around a table of four. If you do decide you wish to upgrade to First Class, Weekend First is likely to be available on weekdays between Christmas and New Year. It costs £25 per person for a single London - Edinburgh journey and must be paid on the train. It cannot be reserved in advance. There is no Child discount, so this would cost £100 each way for your party of 2 Adults and 2 Children. The weekend service of complimentary items applies on days when Weekend First is available.

Children aged 5-10 travelling with an Adult get free London Underground travel. The cheapest way to pay for cross-London Underground travel and for St Pancras - East Croydon is using Oyster cards. For all you ever wanted to know about Oyster, see MikeWh's excellent site at oyster-rail.org.uk. But Oyster does have the disadvantage of having to go up the ramp at East Croydon to touch in or out. Alternatively, buy single tickets on the day of travel. For St Pancras - East Croydon, use your Family & Friends Railcard.

Finally, I disagree with paul1609. Chichester - Edinburgh by rail is a very pleasant journey indeed and you are likely to be treated much better on that journey than at any airport these days.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Chichester to Gatwick, BA to Edinburgh, Taxi to destination. It will be cheaper tons more pleasant and more reliable and about half the time.
South Coast to Scotland by rail is for hard core enthusiasts only!

Is it really cheaper? BA LGW-EDI for the dates the OP want is currently selling for ~£53 outbound and ~£39 inbound per person. There is no discount for children on these lowest tier fares, so the total is a whopping £363.28 for the whole party for a return flight. You then have to add on all the extra bits such as travel to and from the airport, optional extras, etc, not to mention the hassle going through a major airport such as Gatwick.

What about easyjet? I hear you say. Well, that'll set you back £254.92, plus £20 for each bag checked in. Considering that there are kids, the OP is likely to have at least two bags. That brings the total to £294.92.

Cheaper it definitely isn't going to be.

adtrainz

Thanks for all of your advice!

Now just weighing up the options and waiting for Southern's booking horizons!

Status
Not open for further replies.