• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Children and the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking my children ( over 11 years old) to London for a few days later this month. We will be arriving at Euston. We have visitor oyster cards that they can use. Is there a ticket office at Euston where we can get the Oysters changed to children's ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I am taking my children ( over 11 years old) to London for a few days later this month. We will be arriving at Euston. We have visitor oyster cards that they can use. Is there a ticket office at Euston where we can get the Oysters changed to children's ones.
Yes, there is a TfL ticket office at Euston.

deltic

Established Member

I think the answer is no - you cant get a children's oyster card via ticket offices - they have to be applied for either on-line or at a post office and can take 4 weeks to be issued.

dzug2

I think the answer is no - you cant get a children's oyster card via ticket offices - they have to be applied for either on-line or at a post office and can take 4 weeks to be issued.

There's two different products:

A child oystercard which has to be applied for in advance and does take a while - also costs £10 (going up to £20??). Lasts until the user's too old for it

A child endorsement on an adult Oyster card - free, on the spot - but only lasts 14 days

Just another quick question, can you get "Young Visitor discount" applied to a Visitor Oyster card. The reason I ask is it says to get "Young Visitor discount" applied to a card that it must be registered to you but you are not able to register visitor Oyster cards

Meadows

I visit London a few times a year and always get a young visitor discount applied to an oyster for my 14yo. I was wondering how that would work with the ticket offices being closed but I just approached a staff member in kings cross and she did it on the machine for me - can't see that being in any way practical when the station is bush though as the staff member had been at the ticket barrier and I had to go and ask her to come up and help

benk1342

I visit London a few times a year and always get a young visitor discount applied to an oyster for my 14yo. I was wondering how that would work with the ticket offices being closed but I just approached a staff member in kings cross and she did it on the machine for me - can't see that being in any way practical when the station is bush though as the staff member had been at the ticket barrier and I had to go and ask her to come up and help

When the station is "bush" there will be dedicated staff at the ticket machines. The idea is that everything that could previously be done at the ticket window can now be done by staff on the ticket hall floor via the ticket machines or mobile devices.

Meadows

When the station is "bush" there will be dedicated staff at the ticket machines. The idea is that everything that could previously be done at the ticket window can now be done by staff on the ticket hall floor via the ticket machines or mobile devices.

Didn't notice the typo

tony_mac

Established Member
If you would reach the price cap, and travel only after 9.30, then it would be marginally cheaper to buy paper travelcards (using f&f railcard).
The difference is more substantial if travelling beyond zone 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.