• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Mainline LHCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookiee

Are some of the Chiltern Mainlines still Class 67 hauled? If so, does anyone know which services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
The Chiltern PDF timetable on their website indicates which trains are operated by which train type.

168lover

you get a mixture of 68s, 168s(all kinds even new /3s), 172s and very occasionally 165s on London to Birmingham's. You can also get trains formed of 168s and 172s which Chiltern call 'Mainline Hybrids'

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Be warned 168s do stand in on occasion for 68s, happened to me on Monday much to my disgust. So much it annoyed me that I am now not going near Chiltern for the foreseeable!

causton

Established Member
Be warned 168s do stand in on occasion for 68s, happened to me on Monday much to my disgust. So much it annoyed me that I am now not going near Chiltern for the foreseeable!

If you are that put out by it then good riddance, maybe? :lol:

Chiltern are one of the better operators as they put out a Tyrell/JourneyCheck message saying what trains are units vice LHCS (mainly for peak trains) and they put out a summary every day so you know what is going on, if you ask the right person to check for you!

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Overreacting much? Would you rather they cancelled all of the services on that diagram (with the ensuing financial penalties and overcrowding on subsequent services) just because a set was out of traffic?

168lover

Reason a 168 stood in for a 68 was because there was severe wheelflats on the DVT of its set which required it to spend a weekend in Aylesbury Depot for tire turning, its really rare for a 68 set not too run.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Reason a 168 stood in for a 68 was because there was severe wheelflats on the DVT of its set which required it to spend a weekend in Aylesbury Depot for tire turning, its really rare for a 68 set not too run.

Serious question. Could they run without a DVT, just running around at each end, or is the DVT required for braking?

NSEFAN

Established Member
There's no run-round facilities, so they'd need spare locos. Not so difficult at the London end given Chiltern's Wembley depot is nearby, but more tricky in Birmingham. DVT just makes the sets more convenient to run.

IKB

Out of interest, is the "Business Zone" on all loco hauled sets? I gather this is the Chiltern equivalent of a first class offering.....is there a catering trolley?

Can you sit in the BZ and upgrade when the guard comes around? Is this possible on a Standard class Priv rate ticket?

MarlowDonkey

Can you sit in the BZ and upgrade when the guard comes around?

That's what it says on their website.
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/what-business-zone

You can upgrade to the Business Zone and get large tables for working, the widest seats with more legroom than you’ll find on any train service between Birmingham and London. Other features of our Business Zone include:

- A dedicated host serving complimentary tea and coffee (subject to availability)
- Complimentary wi-fi (subject to availability)
- At-seat power points (subject to availability)
- Modern carriages
- Larger windows

To use the Business Zone you need to pay a peak or off peak supplement. A £25 supplement is required per journey to travel in the Business Zone. Business Zone is not first class, and any standard class ticket is valid with a Business Zone supplement, which can be purchased with your ticket (if booking at a station) or simply upgraded onboard. On off-peak services, the Business Zone supplement is just £10.

The coaches were Mk3 Buffets in a previous life, so "Modern" can only refer to the interior.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Out of interest, is the "Business Zone" on all loco hauled sets?
There is a Business Zone on all the 'Silver Trains', but not on the Banbury short commuter workings.
I gather this is the Chiltern equivalent of a first class offering.....is there a catering trolley?

Can you sit in the BZ and upgrade when the guard comes around? Is this possible on a Standard class Priv rate ticket?
Chiltern's website answers your questions:
https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/what-business-zone

You can upgrade to the Business Zone and get large tables for working, the widest seats with more legroom than you’ll find on any train service between Birmingham and London. Other features of our Business Zone include:

- A dedicated host serving complimentary tea and coffee (subject to availability)
- Complimentary wi-fi (subject to availability)
- At-seat power points (subject to availability)
- Modern carriages
- Larger windows

To use the Business Zone you need to pay a peak or off peak supplement. A £25 supplement is required per journey to travel in the Business Zone. Business Zone is not first class, and any standard class ticket is valid with a Business Zone supplement, which can be purchased with your ticket (if booking at a station) or simply upgraded onboard. On off-peak services, the Business Zone supplement is just £10.
• You will need to pay a peak supplement to use the Business Zone on silver trains which arrive into London before 1000. In addition, you will need to pay a peak supplement for the 1615, 1715 and 1815 Marylebone to Birmingham service.
• Off peak supplements are needed for all other journeys in the Business Zone.
As for Priv tickets, ATOC say that the same £10/£25 upgrade applies.
Please note that the Business Zone on Chiltern Railways Mainline Silver Trains services is not First Class accommodation, but an additional facility available to all staff travel facilities holders upon payment of the full public supplement.

Last edited:

IKB

Thanks for the info :) Something I might make use of soon! I'll have to have a read of those ATOC documents.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Is the upgrade to business zone free on 1st class tickets or do you still need to pay the upgrade?

Cheers.

t_star2001uk

The DVT is also needed to complete the traction interlock circuit, as well as a guards compartment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
£10 for an off peak upgrade? That is not a bad deal.

Should have pointed out I'm not totally crazy, I just don't book Advances on Chiltern now. I'll go Virgin or LM over Chiltern though as cheap tickets from my station are actually available, no such thing as an LM+CR Advance for Hereford to London it seems, or any walk up tickets for that matter. Quite happy to give my money to the competition as a result!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
No such thing as an LM+CR Advance for Hereford to London it seems, or any walk up tickets for that matter. Quite happy to give my money to the competition as a result!

To be able to offer such a ticket, Chiltern would need permission from all of the affected TOCs (in the case of Hereford, that's ATW, Great Western, London Midland, SWT and Virgin West Coast), which takes time and needs commercial justification...

It's only relatively recently that they've been able to introduce "via High Wycombe and Birmingham" fares between London and places like Droitwich and Worcester, for example.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be able to offer such a ticket, Chiltern would need permission from all of the affected TOCs (in the case of Hereford, that's ATW, Great Western, London Midland, SWT and Virgin West Coast), which takes time and needs commercial justification...

Why? I thought Advances were a totally commercial matter and could be offered by any TOC (or not offered) as they wished and at any price they wished? Or is it because of the "collusion" that a cross-TOC one sort-of is?

I wouldn't worry if I were you. The last few times I've been on the loco hauled sets, the seats have beven worn out. Travelling with a spring sticking up your jacksie takes the shine off the experience; the carriages either need a refurb or scrapping. 168s are more comfortable.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

It's only relatively recently that they've been able to introduce "via High Wycombe and Birmingham" fares between London and places like Droitwich and Worcester, for example.

Interesting that Worcester to Marylebone is now available. I don't personally see why SWT needs to be involved whatsoever! Yes there's a 'Via Warminster/Salisbury' fare but it's too expensive to be considered worth buying!

Status
Not open for further replies.