• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

chiltern Mk3 DVT generator vans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_star2001uk

The first of the DVT generator conversions is on site at Wembley. 82304 was worked from Loughborogh yesterday. I will try and get some pictures both interior and exterior tomorrow ....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I suppose this substantially reduces the space inside the DVT for storage of baggage and so on? Not that this is used very often anyway (last time I saw a DVT being used for that was at Edinburgh on a London train)

Schnellzug

Established Member
gnerator vans? Oh, I see, looking at the picture, it's kind of like an APU on a plane.

Incidentally, I seem to remember that Modern Railways once speculated, when the WCML upgrade* was first mooted**, whether it might be feasible to turn the DVTs into power cars by putting in a diesel generator and putting on new bogies with traction motors. I wonder if it would in fact be possible? Could it take the weight of say an MTU 4000 engine?

* still ongoing
** word of the day

jonhewes

Interesting news. Do you know whether the generators will run all the time to replace HEP from the locomotives, or just during station layovers?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Interesting news. Do you know whether the generators will run all the time to replace HEP from the locomotives, or just during station layovers?

It appears, from the description with the photo that's linked to above, that they intend to use them to power the train supply during layovers while the train engine is shut down, like an APU on a plane while it's on the ground.

TDK

Established Member

Station layovers and stabling only, the class 67 will still have the ETH on whilst moving with passengers on board.

RPM

Established Member
Its also been fitted with train door controls for use with the power door fitted MkIIIs.

t_star2001uk

I took some pictures of 82304 today, both exterior and interior. I will be posting them later when. I get home...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok here we go for some pictures of 82304...

Exterior view of the air intake grills

Airintakes.jpg

Exterior fire extinguisher control

Exteriorfirepanel.jpg

Cab NRN/ TPWS/ Door control panel Left Side

NewTPWSNRNpod.jpg

Cab GSM-R/ Door Control ETS control panel Right side

NewcabETScontrolpanel.jpg

Generator Pod from the conductors office end

Luggagecompartmentgeneratorendpanels.jpg

Fuel Tank

Fueltank.jpg

Generator pod from the cab end

Generatorendfromcab.jpg

Interior walkway from the cab to conductors office

Interiorwalkwaydriverssidetowardscab.jpg

As you can see there are quite a few modificattions that have been made. The brake distributor has now been moved from the underframe to just behind the TDM cabinet. There is also a roof mounted exhaust positioned just behind the air intake grills.

Hydro

Established Member
Tidy job, I've heard Network Rail were watching this project with interest for their fleet. DVT's are rumoured to be on their way to the test fleet and will need generators fitting.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
That looks like quite a good job although I think it would be nicer if the gaps in the intake slats were a bit smaller rather than appearing as gaping holes in the sides.

Do we have anything on the DVT's ETS index?

MCR247

Established Member
Chiltern are fitting their sets with it, with 1 or 2 sets at Doncaster having it done now

jonhewes

Good pictures in an interesting thread!

Will the 67s working the power door sets need retrofitting with door controls? If so, will this preclude other 67s (eg 67018) working for Chiltern?

Schnellzug

Established Member
They seem to have made quite a neat job. Who knows, perhaps this could be extended to other types of stock to obviate* the need for ETS locos, or as a kind of emergency backup for when trains have to diverted away from the wires.

*word of the day

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
They seem to have made quite a neat job. Who knows, perhaps this could be extended to other types of stock to obviate* the need for ETS locos, or as a kind of emergency backup for when trains have to diverted away from the wires.

*word of the day

Thats an interesting possibility. I wonder what the ETS index is, and whether such a DVT would be able to deal with a East Coast or East Anglia rake, being significantly longer than a Chiltern rake.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Earlier this year when I took a bike on EC, the space in their DVT's seemed to be pretty well used between luggage stowage, bikes and supplies.

t_star2001uk

That looks like quite a good job although I think it would be nicer if the gaps in the intake slats were a bit smaller rather than appearing as gaping holes in the sides.

The intakes on the side are that size for a reason. Just think you have a large V6 marine diesel sitting in an enclosed space with no air flow, but just to make matters worse it's then enclosed in an acoustic casing. So unfortunatly the intakes do have to be that big...

Drimnagh Road

Could have had the engines out of our mk3 generator vans, they were all fitted with brand new Cummins LTA 10G3t engines back in 2005, output 202kw at 1500rpm. They made a lovely sound.

Might be a little overpowered for what Chiltern need them for though.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Could have had the engines out of our mk3 generator vans, they were all fitted with brand new Cummins LTA 10G3t engines back in 2005, output 202kw at 1500rpm. They made a lovely sound.

Might be a little overpowered for what Chiltern need them for though.

That would be an ETS index of around 40 right?

Well based on the fact that Cl89s had an ETS index around ninety and can apparently handle a 9 coach rake, it might not be that excessive, especially with all the extra electronics we have in trains these days, and the power sockets.

t_star2001uk

The generator is powered by a 6 cylinder in line Volvo Penta engine which has an output of 442hp at 1500 rpm. This is coupled to a 3 phase alternator and a mechanically driven compressor.

t_star2001uk

That's the one. Set AL04 was the first silver set to be sent to Doncaster for the power doors to be fitted. Set AL01 is also at Doncaster. 82304 is still under test at Wembley and should be ready to go with a loco to pick up set AL04.

Status
Not open for further replies.