• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticketmonkey

Quite a few already through - well done everyone - and quite a few to follow as I was offered testing on 2nd, 4th, 8th and 10th of May.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RUUDBOY

Got my confirmation email also. I had already passed assessments with London Midland last year. So gone straight to interview this time. 8th May.
Good luck everyone!!

mumrar

Established Member
Just to update, I got my email invitation on Wednesday evening for May 8th. Now to start the revision, practise and breathing techniques!

Foxtrot99

Hi all.

Those that have sat Stage 2 with Chiltern already, can you tell me exactly which tests you did?

I have been invited to do Stage 2 but I have passed several of the tests already with another company; are Chiltern going to make me re-sit tests I have already passed or just the ones that I haven't done?

Much appreciated.

Great forum btw!

Last edited:

Ihopeipass

Evening all

Got my second stage assessments on the 05th May including MMI. Just a query to those who have already done the second stage. During this stage are there any representatives from Chiltern present as I am wondering do I need to gen up on Chiltern railways in case I get asked questions in the interview about them.

Many thanks

dwizzle123

Evening all

Got my second stage assessments on the 05th May including MMI. Just a query to those who have already done the second stage. During this stage are there any representatives from Chiltern present as I am wondering do I need to gen up on Chiltern railways in case I get asked questions in the interview about them.

Many thanks

The MMI is a competency based interview conducted by an external agency who will assess your personality and experience with that required for the role of a train driver. They won't be asking you questions on Chiltern. If you look in the forum there is a whole section on the MMI.

dwizzle123

Hi all.

Those that have sat Stage 2 with Chiltern already, can you tell me exactly which tests you did?

I have been invited to do Stage 2 but I have passed several of the tests already with another company; are Chiltern going to make me re-sit tests I have already passed or just the ones that I haven't done?

Much appreciated.

Great forum btw!

One guy I know failed the hand eye coordination test with another company but passed everything else. He was invited to stage 2 with Chiltern but they made him take ALL the tests again requiring an enhanced pass. He passed the hand-eye coordination test this time round, but failed the vigilance test (although he'd previously passed it with another company). Stage two failed...2 attempts at stage 2 = can't apply again.

One guy I know failed the hand eye coordination test with another company but passed everything else. He was invited to stage 2 with Chiltern but they made him take ALL the tests again requiring an enhanced pass. He passed the hand-eye coordination test this time round, but failed the vigilance test (although he'd previously passed it with another company). Stage two failed...2 attempts at stage 2 = can't apply again.

That's really unfortunate!

choochoochoo

Established Member
So a failed assessment supercedes a current pass ? Seems a tad unfair.

Can understand inviting candidates in to try for an enhanced pass, but for it to nullify a standard pass if you fail ?

Foxtrot99

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, I've sat all and passed all the tests except the SI & the MMI.

Are Chiltern going to make take all of them again (Stage 2 (even though I passed them already a few months back) or will they just make me take the MMI & SI?

I don't see why I should retake (and risk a fail) on tests that I have already passed, it would jeopardise my other application; it would be a risk with no discernible benefit to me...

mumrar

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, I've sat all and passed all the tests except the SI & the MMI.

Are Chiltern going to make take all of them again (Stage 2 (even though I passed them already a few months back) or will they just make me take the MMI & SI?

I don't see why I should retake (and risk a fail) on tests that I have already passed, it would jeopardise my other application; it would be a risk with no discernible benefit to me...
The tests themselves aren't seen in their constituent parts I think, so if you fail ANY part of Stage 1 that means you need to re-sit ALL Stage 1 tests, and the same for Stage 2 - I guess this is to make the administration of results easier, as you have 2 pass or fail marks, rather than 8 or 9 to keep track of and have people walking out or only partaking in certain sections of Stage 1 or 2.

Hope this helps.

Foxtrot99

Thanks for the reply although I'm not sure if it's correct. If it was, why would a TOC make someone do only half of the Stage 2 tests and not the other half?

Plus, I've been told by another (different) TOC that I haven't done the DFFT which is a requirement for them, and when they are staging tests again they will bring me in to do the DFFT only....

The testing process isn't very clear.

Last edited:

JonnyH

Thanks for the reply although I'm not sure if it's correct. If it was, why would a TOC make someone do only half of the Stage 2 tests and not the other half?

Plus, I've been told by another (different) TOC that I haven't done the DFFT which is a requirement for them, and when they are staging tests again they will bring me in to do the DFFT only....

The testing process isn't very clear.
I was told it was for consistency of dates. So if you pass, all of your pass is valid for the same amount of time up until the same date

donpoku

Pre-interview nerves/excitement are already kicking in!
You'll be fine, remember take as much time to pause, think and ask for clarification if unsure what they are asking-believe me driver managers love that and it's part of the interview criteria check box.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

dwizzle123

Pre-interview nerves/excitement are already kicking in!

How do you think you got on? I found it a very comfortable and relaxed setting which allowed for me to put my personality across somewhat. Just hoping the competencies were hit with my answers.

Sim

I've had my dmi too.
was totally different to my last dmi with chiltern. Almost felt like I had an internal interview as was asked no questions on the company at all, or why I want the job. Very strange. All those I had practised!
Info they told me was 6-10 jobs starting oct, based at either Aylesbury or more likely london as that's where drivers are needed.
Good luck for those still waiting.

Game146

I've had my dmi too.
was totally different to my last dmi with chiltern. Almost felt like I had an internal interview as was asked no questions on the company at all, or why I want the job. Very strange. All those I had practised!
Info they told me was 6-10 jobs starting oct, based at either Aylesbury or more likely london as that's where drivers are needed.

Could I be a pain and ask what you were tested on, assuming the blinking grey box first, then Pictures, then the 2 hand. What was after the practical stuff, apologises for the dumb question lol

12guard4

Could I be a pain and ask what you were tested on, assuming the blinking grey box first, then Pictures, then the 2 hand. What was after the practical stuff, apologises for the dumb question lol

The tests are not part of the DMI. All the tests are the same across the network with the exception of a few additional tests some TOCs do. The interview you have when you do those tests you mention is the MMI.

bILLOO

I've had my dmi too.

Was you asked various MMI-type questions instead?

Sim

Was you asked various MMI-type questions instead?

Yes all my questions were mmi style. Felt really unprepared as the research I've done and what I've seen on these forums didn't give that impression.
Every toc is different I suppose, and maybe not everyone gets the same questions?

They're interviewing10-12 candidates a day this week which is the 28 people who had already passed the assessments prior to application and those who passed through the first assessment round. More assessments next week however so more candidates in the pool; they're certainly giving themselves a big selection from which to chose 6 trainees.

Sim

Thanks billoo!

Spankthemonkey I thought exactly that too, especially as there was no talk of holding pool for next year. Not sure what other candidates were informed.

JonnyH

There are an awful lot of people having interviews for not many jobs! Has anybody else on here been for theirs this week?

There are an awful lot of people having interviews for not many jobs! Has anybody else on here been for theirs this week?

I'm sure you mentioned it before, it's a huge amount of interviews for just a handful of jobs.

bILLOO

Chiltern want the best, so having a large array of candidates to pick from seems reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.