• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyH

Nothing yet for me either. Interesting to know if any internal applicants are reading this thread? Or if anyone who works for Chiltern is any capacity might have an idea of the situation? Has anyone heard any positive news at all yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nothing yet for me either. Interesting to know if any internal applicants are reading this thread? Or if anyone who works for Chiltern is any capacity might have an idea of the situation? Has anyone heard any positive news at all yet?

The info I have is that originally the 10 vacancies were due to be split between Aylesbury and Marylebone. However, there are over 10 chaps retiring or leaving from Moor Street and Stourbridge over the next year so things are being assessed. Normally Moor Street is filled by promoted TM's but apparently on this occasion there were no applicants from the Guard pool that were successful. As has previously been mentioned, there are redundant freight drivers knocking around though so who knows?!

OneTrackMind

...Normally Moor Street is filled by promoted TM's but apparently on this occasion there were no applicants from the Guard pool that were successful...

That's very surprising :shock:

I was told that for the last handful of Trainee Train Managers positions they had 280 applicants, obviously not picking the right ones that could progress to Mainline then ... what about the catering staff I wonder?

That's very surprising :shock:

I was told that for the last handful of Trainee Train Managers positions they had 280 applicants, obviously not picking the right ones that could progress to Mainline then ... what about the catering staff I wonder?

TM's would surely he appointed if their skill set matched that required by a TM not necesarily with a view to later promotion to driver? However, i have been told chiltern do believe strongly in "lines of promotion". There are apparently a good handful of drivers at Moor Street who were recent trainees from TM.

Twelvetrees

No one at Chiltern has heard anything, apart from the guys who have had rejection emails. Lots of guards who have applied have heard nothing so not sure where Spank The Monkey is getting his information from but it's wrong.

rafchris89

Hello all

I got the thanks but no thanks email at the weekend. To be fair at least they let you know either way and they did say that "on this occasion there where other people who better fit the role".

I have asked for some feedback as to how I didnt fit the role for future reference. I stupidly thought that living 10 mins from the depot, having passed all the tests with no failures at GWR, having a good working knowledge of railways and chiltern as well as having experience in customer focused and safety critical roles would have been a good match......

Maybe its because I need to give a months notice before I could start?

Max287

Hello all

I got the thanks but no thanks email at the weekend. To be fair at least they let you know either way and they did say that "on this occasion there where other people who better fit the role".

I have asked for some feedback as to how I didnt fit the role for future reference. I stupidly thought that living 10 mins from the depot, having passed all the tests with no failures at GWR, having a good working knowledge of railways and chiltern as well as having experience in customer focused and safety critical roles would have been a good match......

Maybe its because I need to give a months notice before I could start?
Hi Chris.

Its tough to take when you know that you completely fit the criteria and you believe that you have plenty of relevant experience! Been there myself before.

The problem is that whilst many of the applicants won't be suitable, there will be many others who are well suited and a good number of those will slip through the net at the application stage. Its hard but if you believe that you are right for the job and you really want it, you will get there eventually.

Never giver up mate!

Testicles

Just heard the current 'Banbury depot drivers' are going to be offered 4 of the places meaning only six available. Course to start in august.

Sean1878

Hi guys. Long time lurker but first time poster!!

I've had an email through this afternoon informing me that I've passed the paper sift and have been invited to an assessment day next Wednesday in Aylesbury. I'm obviously really pleased but know there's a lot of hard work to be done to get where I want to be. Good luck to everybody else still waiting to hear from Chiltern!

nick40uk

Just got the e-mail about the assessments next week as well. Surprised I made it through the paper sift but I'll take any opportunity that comes along.

Sean1878

Where are you both based out of interest to the rest of us?

I live in Banbury. The job desription attached to the email this afternoon still states that training will take place in Aylesbury and the posts will be allocated dependant on business demand.

Trio

The emails are starting to filter through, just got mine inviting me to assessments on 16 March. I'm from Banbury btw.

LittleMi

Got email inviting me to the assessment on the 15th March!
I've recently passed the assessment with another TOC and I hope I don't need to do it again.

atochopefull

Of those who have been invited for assessments, have you previously passed any tests with other TOCs or is this first time testing? I'm curious to try and work out if there is any logic to them contacting people?

Knowledgeboy

I've received an invite today also. This will be my first ever assessment for train driver. I'm down for Marylebone as I live NE London!
Cacking it already!

cfields

I got my assessment invite today too! This is my very first one. Good luck to everyone! I currently don't live near to any of the depots, so I'm not sure where they would post me.

Ihopeipass

I have also been invited for assessments on the 15th of March. Like some already here I have also passed the assessments with another T.O.C but it was a couple of years ago so I am now wondering if there still valid, although have been informed by the T.O.C I passed with that they still are. I contacted Chiltern Recruitment about it and they said that they would have checked the database prior to the invite e-mails going out.

Ned 079

I got my email last night advising me of the assessment day next week. I'm from
Redditch if that's of any use to anyone.
I'm looking forward to meeting others who are in the same boat, see you there next Wednesday!

Sean1878

Can I just ask what people usually wear to the day 1 assessments? Would people recommend a suit or just smart dress? I obviously don't want to set a bad example by turning up under/over dressed for the occasion.

I am also right in thinking that we won't be interviewed at any point next Wednesday aren't I? I'm going to be prepping for the assessments but want to ensure that I shouldn't also be prepping for any sort of interview.

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions but this is my first assessment and I want to give it my best shot!!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
When I sat an assessment with Chiltern a couple of years ago, Day 1 comprised the "paper-based" assessments, namely:
  • Safe Concentration and Attention Test
  • Trainability for Rules and Procedures
  • Driver Fault Finding Test
There may have been Group Bordon as well, I can't recall.

The computer-based tests, Situational Judgement Exercise and Multi-Modal Interview are held at a later date, usually at the OPC offices in Watford, and depending on how many people pass the computer-based tests it can be quite a long wait for the MMI as they generally only have two interviewers and each interview lasts an hour or more.

I have also been invited for assessments on the 15th of March. Like some already here I have also passed the assessments with another T.O.C but it was a couple of years ago so I am now wondering if there still valid, although have been informed by the T.O.C I passed with that they still are. I contacted Chiltern Recruitment about it and they said that they would have checked the database prior to the invite e-mails going out.

Depends on a couple of factors discussed on other threads here:

1. How long Chiltern consider passes valid for. Various TOCs and FOCs apply 2, 3 or even 5 year cut offs
2. What the actual individual mark per exercise was. Much discussion about so called "enhanced" pass rates on this forum.

Sim

Goodluck with assessments guys!

I did wear shirt trousers tie etc but others were very casual. I don't think it makes a difference to be honest, just what ever your comfortable with.

When I spoke to recruitment when applying for the role they told me if I was successful I wouldn't have to re sit any tests as I did them in march/April 2016.
So I take it it's a year with chiltern?
I still haven't heard either way with my application? Not sure what to think.

Max287

Goodluck with assessments guys!

I did wear shirt trousers tie etc but others were very casual. I don't think it makes a difference to be honest, just what ever your comfortable with.

When I spoke to recruitment when applying for the role they told me if I was successful I wouldn't have to re sit any tests as I did them in march/April 2016.
So I take it it's a year with chiltern?
I still haven't heard either way with my application? Not sure what to think.
Seems we are in the same boat Sim. I passed the assessments in October last year, they told me I wouldn't need to re-sit any for this vacancy but have not heard anything up to now. Not sure what to make of it :-/ Good luck to you and to all who are taking the assessments for the first time too.

Nuttytoffee

Can I just ask what people usually wear to the day 1 assessments? Would people recommend a suit or just smart dress? I obviously don't want to set a bad example by turning up under/over dressed for the occasion.

I am also right in thinking that we won't be interviewed at any point next Wednesday aren't I? I'm going to be prepping for the assessments but want to ensure that I shouldn't also be prepping for any sort of interview.

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions but this is my first assessment and I want to give it my best shot!!

The way I look at it, you are going for a very sought after job with a wage most dream of. Dress up and make an impression. It's not unknown for some TOC's to put their own staff in as candidates to check out the potential new recruits!

Status
Not open for further replies.