• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Trainee Train Driver - Marylebone (11/01/24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yeah I understand that.

But I mean as in when you first start your application there are no online tests, you simply complete the application then wait to receive a VSE link after sift.

Yes, correct although in previous rounds of recruitment a second questionnaire was sent to everyone who passed the initial sift, before the VSE test was sent out via email. Things are being done slightly differently this time.

Yes, correct although in previous rounds of recruitment a second questionnaire was sent to everyone who passed the initial sift, before the VSE test was sent out via email. Things are being done slightly differently this time.
Thanks for the heads up.

Echomike01

Thanks for the heads up.

hoping I get a VSE invite soon, I’m 45 minutes commute and I currently work on the railway and it’s not like there was any online tests so can’t think of why I would not get an invite, but we shall see.

Fingers crossed
Checked your spam folder ?

Checked your spam folder ?
They got back to me and said I had been rejected either due to location or OPC results, and I’ve never completed an assesment centre for it to be the latter so must just be my post code, shame though as I am within in a 45 minutes commute.

Alandev

Does anyone know if it's only a VSE after the initial sift or has anyone also been asked to do a situational judgement test at the same time as the VSE?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Does anyone know if it's only a VSE after the initial sift or has anyone also been asked to do a situational judgement test at the same time as the VSE?

The current process should be initial sift - VSE - SJE - OPC - DMI with each stage dependent on passing the one before.

Alandev

Thanks for that. I know DMI = Drivers Manager Interview but please can you confirm if I am right on these two?
SJE = Situational Judgement Test? (I saw that noted as RSJT somewhere else)
OPC = Criteria Based Interview

Also how long after passing the online VSE would you expect it to be before these other three things would be done - and would they all be at a test centre on the same day? (Assuming you don’t get eliminated at any stage).

The current process should be initial sift - VSE - SJE - OPC - DMI with each stage dependent on passing the one before.
Also I saw all of these other test types detailed here:

Do you know if Chiltern / Arriva also get you to do some / all of these if you get past the stages of VSE - SJE - OPC - DMI?

If they do, do you know if there are usually some days / weeks in between passing the first four stages and being asked to do any other tests?

Alandev

Update – I have just seen the below post from TacoTraveller page 2 of this thread. Do Chiltern make you do all of these after completing the VSE - SJE - OPC - DMI (if successful at each stage)?

You don't re-do any test, you just do different ones.

If you complete the at-home tests you'll be invited to an assessment day spread over one day or two days (TOC dependant)

Those tests will include:

Group Bourdon Test

TEA-OCC

TRP 1

TRP 2

WAFV

ATAVT

2 Hand Coordination

If you pass all those tests you'll then do a MMI, then pass that you'll usually do a DMI but some TOC's do DMI first.

sal2323

Has anyone heard back regarding their VSE test yet? I was sent an email (after completing the VSE test on 01/02/2024) saying that successful candidates will be contacted from 08/02/2024 onwards.

Last edited:

london96

Has anyone heard back regarding their VSE test yet? I was sent an email (after completing the VSE test on 01/02/2024) saying that successful candidates will be contacted from 08/02/2024 onwards.
I heard back to unfortunately didn't pass. Best of luck to those who did going forward.

sal2323

I heard back to unfortunately didn't pass. Best of luck to those who did going forward.
I did too this morning - didn't pass either. Part 3 got me for the first ten seconds and only then did I simultaneously work on both sides. Best of luck to everyone else.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks for that. I know DMI = Drivers Manager Interview but please can you confirm if I am right on these two?
SJE = Situational Judgement Test? (I saw that noted as RSJT somewhere else)
OPC = Criteria Based Interview

Also how long after passing the online VSE would you expect it to be before these other three things would be done - and would they all be at a test centre on the same day? (Assuming you don’t get eliminated at any stage).

SJE / SJT is as you describe, this would be sent to you via email.

OPC is the suite of various tests (which you have mentioned) carried out at a testing centre (usually Watford) and can be carried out over one or two days which will include an MMI interview.

There is no set timescale after passing the online VSE test before progressing further. It depends on various factors. The DMI would be an interview with a manager at the TOC after you have successfully passed all other tests.

I'd encourage you to read through the various threads dealing with recruitment as there will be plenty of information here relating to what you can expect, any questions you might have will have been answered many times before.

If they do, do you know if there are usually some days / weeks in between passing the first four stages and being asked to do any other tests?

The first four stages? The DMI at the TOC is the final stage and if you are successful there then you would be offered a position dependent on passing a medical

Last edited:

Alandev

SJE / SJT is as you describe, this would be sent to you via email.

OPC is the suite of various tests (which you have mentioned) carried out at a testing centre (usually Watford) and can be carried out over one or two days which will include an MMI interview.

There is no set timescale after passing the online VSE test before progressing further. It depends on various factors. The DMI would be an interview with a manager at the TOC after you have successfully passed all other tests.

I'd encourage you to read through the various threads dealing with recruitment as there will be plenty of information here relating to what you can expect, any questions you might have will have been answered many times before.

The first four stages? The DMI at the TOC is the final stage and if you are successful there then you would be offered a position dependent on passing a medical
Thanks very much for all of this - I think that's all clear now. And yep, will definitely search around for more details on what to expect.

Idontknow

Hi all,

I completed the vse last week Friday and received my invite to stage 1 testing with the opc this morning. I never sat any online sjt. I was shocked because I certainly made a lot of errors on the third part.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi all,

I completed the vse last week Friday and received my invite to stage 1 testing with the opc this morning. I never sat any online sjt. I was shocked because I certainly made a lot of errors on the third part.

So you completed the VSE three days ago and have already been told you've passed and invited to full OPC testing? That sounds unlikely.

Murgy_murg

Just received mine. Is anyone aware of what the Chiltern Stage 1 assessments may include ? From what I have read in the forum it looks like stage 1 includes Group Bourdon, TEA-Occ, TRP 1 and 2.

Is anyone able to provide any further insight into whether these are typical stage 1 tests for Chiltern or whether it is worth practicing other assessment materials ?

Thanks.

King8989

I have passed stage 1 before to standard but failed enhanced. i believe i failed fault finding and passed everything else. i believe fault finding is not involved. would i have to resit the tests i passed previously ?

Idontknow

Just received mine. Is anyone aware of what the Chiltern Stage 1 assessments may include ? From what I have read in the forum it looks like stage 1 includes Group Bourdon, TEA-Occ, TRP 1 and 2.

Is anyone able to provide any further insight into whether these are typical stage 1 tests for Chiltern or whether it is worth practicing other assessment materials ?

Thanks.
Surely 8 hours is too much for all those tests? I thought we would sit all the tests in one go including mmi and leave as we fail them. Then those who pass sit a dmi and medical e.t.c.

Murgy_murg

Surely 8 hours is too much for all those tests? I thought we would sit all the tests in one go including mmi and leave as we fail them. Then those who pass sit a dmi and medical e.t.c.
I'm really not sure to be honest. I was curious because of the wording of "stage 1" assessments. I wasn't sure if there would be a second set of stage 2 assessments. I hadn't heard of that many people doing all the assessments in a single day to be honest. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Umer

I got the stage 1 invite but it says assessment date 2025. Surely thats a mistake. Does it say that for everyone?

Idontknow

I'm really not sure to be honest. I was curious because of the wording of "stage 1" assessments. I wasn't sure if there would be a second set of stage 2 assessments. I hadn't heard of that many people doing all the assessments in a single day to be honest. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly.
I got the stage 1 invite but it says assessment date 2025. Surely thats a mistake. Does it say that for everyone?
Mine says stage 2 testing will be in “January TBC”. Hoping that’s a mistake too. I guess it all depends on available course spaces.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Whether or not OPC testing is done in one day or two depends on the number of candidates being put forward for testing. More people attending the testing would mean two days are required.

Ses16

Here’s my thoughts. When I had my stage 1, we were based in a hotel because there was so many of us. But for my mates Stage 1, they’re having it directly at the OPC office. So I can only assume there’s not too many to be assessed for that depot.

Also I’m pretty sure that it will just be the stage 1 assessments but prepare yourself in case you’ll be sitting the full whack.

Zest49

Does anyone know what the shift patterns are like for Marylebone? Also how easy is it for a new driver to permanently swap turns with another? I think I could do any pattern wether late or early, I’d just need the consistency.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Does anyone know what the shift patterns are like for Marylebone? Also how easy is it for a new driver to permanently swap turns with another? I think I could do any pattern wether late or early, I’d just need the consistency.

It is possible to swap however I don't think as a brand new driver you should be allowed to swap onto a permanent shift. If you can't handle the alternate earlies / lates I'm not sure you should be applying for a job as a train driver.