• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Trainee Train Driver - Marylebone (11/01/24)

Zest49

I agree! Suddenly realising it all. How long do you reckon is reasonable/respectable before looking for this option, perhaps a year or two?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
I agree! Suddenly realising it all. How long do you reckon is reasonable/respectable before looking for this option, perhaps a year or two?

I would advise completing your post-qualified period of two years following your roster shift pattern so that you can decide which shift you prefer before making any decision on whether or not to request a permanent swap. For example, you might be more of a 'morning person' and prefer earlies, or you might find that the jobs on late shift are shorter and/or easier and you prefer them.

Also remember that doing a single shift permanently might have implications for retaining route or traction knowledge, depending on the composition of the roster.

Zest49

I got given a March date for OPC, which then get cancelled until October, providing a pass this SJT now.

Mabs

No. Usually around half of initial applicants live outside the 45-minute commute catchment area for a start, despite that being specified in the job advert.
I didn't pass the interview last time so I've made a lot of changes to my interview answers so hopefully I get over the line next time.

Last time I applied for Marylebone and Andy said to give him a call after 6 months and I could apply again.

From my house to London Marylebone is 16 miles and it's a 33 minutes drive.

Aylesbury is 41 miles and 48 minutes drive.

I will call Andy in two weeks time to apply again and hopefully I can persuade him to put me forward for Aylesbury. I'm even willing to relocate somewhere closer if I was to be successful.

Idontknow

Same here! I did VSE got confirmation soon after that I had passed and to attend OPC on the same date as you, half day though.
it’s been postponed for me till around October and I’ve been given sjt and a form to fill in, yourself?

12LDA28C

Established Member

I will call Andy in two weeks time to apply again and hopefully I can persuade him to put me forward for Aylesbury. I'm even willing to relocate somewhere closer if I was to be successful.

You'd be lucky to travel 41 miles in 45 minutes at certain times of the day, and unfortunately promises of relocation in the future are not accepted.

Mabs

You'd be lucky to travel 41 miles in 45 minutes at certain times of the day, and unfortunately promises of relocation in the future are not accepted.
How do people get to work at Marylebone if there is no parking for the very early shift?

Mabs

There is parking at Marylebone
How many spaces ?
For me there is great train service for later shifts. (Elizabeth line)

Worst case I'm thinking to drive 70% of the journey, park near my old house and then cycle in.

12LDA28C

Established Member
How many spaces ?
For me there is great train service for later shifts. (Elizabeth line)

Worst case I'm thinking to drive 70% of the journey, park near my old house and then cycle in.

Not many and you'd need a permit although drivers at Marylebone seem to manage. Didn't you ask about parking once before?

Mabs

That's very helpful. I also need a plan B for example coming to work and all the parking spaces taken.

I recently bought a E-Bike through cycle2work scheme. I don't mind parking up and riding a few miles.
-------‐--------------‐‐--------------------------------------------

I checked on Google map. There is a lot of local free parking on weekends.

Monday - Friday I could park outside my old house but il have to cycle 20-30 minutes plus 20 minutes of driving.

This is only for the early shift. For the late shift shouldn't be a problem taking the train.

Last edited:

Mabs

I just emailed to apply again after 6 months. Waiting for a reply now.

Mabs

Reapplying for Marylebone I assume?
I said last time I applied for London Marylebone but im interested in both London Marylebone and Aylesbury but il let them decide which depot I can apply for.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I said last time I applied for London Marylebone but im interested in both London Marylebone and Aylesbury but il let them decide which depot I can apply for.

Ok, you'd be out of catchment for Aylesbury most likely unless you can find a place to stay nearer to the depot.

Umer

I didn't pass the interview last time so I've made a lot of changes to my interview answers so hopefully I get over the line next time.

Last time I applied for Marylebone and Andy said to give him a call after 6 months and I could apply again.

From my house to London Marylebone is 16 miles and it's a 33 minutes drive.

Do you remember any questions?

Mabs

Do you remember any questions?
It was a while ago but the questions aren't hard. It's just what you say is important.

Things like a time you worked as part of a team, worked alone or under pressure.

What do you know about the company and so on. It's not hard but you need to get top scores as other people will also prepare. You just have to be the best on the day.