• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chris Tarrant; Extreme Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael769

Established Member
Starting next Wednesday (Dec 5th 2012) at 9PM on Channel 5:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/chris-tarrant-extreme-railways
Over a series of adventures, Chris finds himself stuck in the heart of an African jungle, crossing the Australian Outback and exploring the coast of India. Chris meets the drivers, engineers, local characters and fellow passengers as he finds out how these extreme railways were built, how they are kept running and how they change the lives of the local people they connect.

Next on TV:
Channel 5
Series 1
Episode 1
Wed 2100 5 Dec

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazzak

This looks really good. There aren't enough railway related programs on TV in my opinion. I loved the series they did on the tube a couple of years ago, and wasn't there a British Rail one done some time back in the early 00's?

I'd like to see another fly on the wall type series on our UK national raliway.

kylemore

Muscling in on Portillo's territory?

Mind you I think Michael likes his luxury hotel each night too much to go roughing it in the desert or jungle!

jon0844

Veteran Member
What day is the one where Chris Tarrant rides on a Pacer, or is that a little too extreme for Channel 5?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd imagine the liability insurance for the production company would be too high.

Smethwickian

He's roughed before, As he is a ex-con.

Michael Portillo? I think you're mixing him up with someone else. I might stand corrected but surely Portillo's only ever been inside jail(s) for TV documentary-type purposes? He could sue for defamation if falsely accused of being a criminal. No exaggeration - this forum isn't above the law.

Harlesden

How are these railways "extreme"? Is it simply because the environment is nothing like the pretty British countryside that our own railways pass through? Is that what makes them "extreme"? In many countries, the population is concentrated in cities and transport between cities is kind of essential whatever country it is. There is logically large areas of unpopulated land between cities. I don't see how these railways are in any way "extreme". The broadcast is simply Chris Tarrant trying to revive a failing career.
How were these "extreme" railways built? They were built by the colonial powers that formerly occupied and ruled the country, using skilled labor from the mother country and unskilled local labor.

The Colonel

Extremely mediocre I'd say - 1st segment of prog about waiting umpteen hours for a train - yawn! Moderately interesting explanation of the single like token system and good to see it was made in Guildford. Otherwise fast forward quite useful. Won't lose any sleep if I don't see the other two.

Birdbrain

Thought last nights episode was a bit better. Although its hard to believe he was actually trying to catch the ghan at Alice Springs!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I also enjoyed last night's. I've always had a fascination for disused railways, and the original Ghan is a pretty impressive specimen of one!

tony6499

Enjoyed both of the programmes so far although I think the cab ride was for show as they seemed to have a carriage just behind the loco

MCW

Wasn't that for the drivers to rest in between shifts? It was a three day journey from Adelaide after all.

correct, he explicitly said Rest Carriage in the programme.

I like it a lot it makes for some nice TV. better than half the c*** on at the moment! :lol:

Teaboy1

It was an interesting prog compared to the rubbish found on the other channels at the time but what really REALLY annoyed me was that he (the film crew) caught the Ghan crossing over Elizabeth River bridge about 5km south of Darwin. Now I have waited hours and hours for this to happen (it only runs 1 day per week in Tues out Weds) at that river crossing but singularly failed to catch it !!!
Otherwise good informative and slightly better than Emmerdale! Incidentally Alice to Darwin is some 1200km, about same as Man Air to Tenerife South, takes about 2 days soild in a car !!

ian959

I'm still puzzled why its surprising that Chris was trying to catch the Ghan at Alice Springs. Any help?

I have no idea why it is surprising unless he did not have a ticket - all of Great Southern's trains must be pre-booked as there are no walk up fares.

Oh and all freight trains to Darwin and to Perth run with a crew coach now to reduce the need for isolated crew change points (such as Cook on the Trans Australian line). Some of the origins of those crew coaches in themselves would make for a fascinating documentary!

Status
Not open for further replies.