• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas & Boxing Day Bus Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure how Arriva in Yorkshire are resourcing their Boxing Day services, but did notice that the 203 service was being run with Wakefield based Sapphire vehicles branded for route 110 (Leeds-Wakefield-Kirkhamgate/Kexborough). A step up in quality, surprisingly!

Andyh82

Established Member
Not sure how Arriva in Yorkshire are resourcing their Boxing Day services, but did notice that the 203 service was being run with Wakefield based Sapphire vehicles branded for route 110 (Leeds-Wakefield-Kirkhamgate/Kexborough). A step up in quality, surprisingly!

That'll be Kettlethorpe/Hall Green.

Arriva Yorkshire operate the whole thing using Wakefield based buses

Also First Leeds only open up Bramley to operate all their Leeds services and Bradford's as well, including the 576 to Halifax.

radamfi

Established Member
Or indeed Shrewsbury - county town of Shropshire with 72,000 inhabitants.

It might be an interesting exercise to work out the population of the biggest settlement in the Netherlands or Switzerland that has no bus service on Sunday. It would almost certainly be a place that is too small to have its own town services. In the case of Switzerland there are probably a lot of small villages that have a train but no bus. Switzerland has a lot of local railways with stops close together which would be run using a bus in other countries.

MedwayValiant

That question got me thinking about Amsterdam. There are rather few buses in central Amsterdam, because the basis of their model is that buses run to the edge of a notional Zone 1, while transport in the centre is provided by trams. There are some buses in the city centre and so it's not an answer to the question, but are there European cities where the central area has only trams?

Shrewsbury seems to be the largest place in Britain where no buses run on Sundays, but it does have trains. So does Yeovil; much as Yeovil Junction station isn't really "in" Yeovil, Yeovil Pen Mill is and does have a handful of Sunday trains.

What is the largest town in Britain with no public transport of any kind on Sundays? I'm not certain of the answer to that, but can anywhere "beat" Middlewich (13,600)?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Not sure how Arriva in Yorkshire are resourcing their Boxing Day services, but did notice that the 203 service was being run with Wakefield based Sapphire vehicles branded for route 110 (Leeds-Wakefield-Hall Green/Kettlethorpe). A step up in quality, surprisingly!

I noticed this too, plus the odd Pulse branded vehicle in Bradford. I'm sure I saw one vehicle in Huddersfield or Bradford with FirstMidland Bluebird branding running round on one of the routes today. I wonder if ever a FWoE vehicle will ever get transfered up here, now that would be a sight even better if it was based in Huddersfield so that I could see Bradford on Avon 363 on the desty.

This years freebie H11 (Scholes > Holmfirth > Holme Valley > Huddersfield to HRI could well be the last time it ran as I over heard that Kirklees Council could stop sponsoring it, which would be a shame.

So going by what's been mentioned already I take that today has been worked out of what depot, I'd imagine that its soley Bramley, Wakefield and Huddersfield depots that were open?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That'll be Kettlethorpe/Hall Green.

Arriva Yorkshire operate the whole thing using Wakefield based buses

Also First Leeds only open up Bramley to operate all their Leeds services and Bradford's as well, including the 576 to Halifax.

I noticed this too, plus the odd Pulse branded vehicle in Bradford. I'm sure I saw one vehicle in Huddersfield or Bradford with FirstMidland Bluebird branding running round on one of the routes today. I wonder if ever a FWoE vehicle will ever get transfered up here, now that would be a sight even better if it was based in Huddersfield so that I could see Bradford on Avon 363 on the desty.

This years freebie H11 (Scholes > Holmfirth > Holme Valley > Huddersfield to HRI could well be the last time it ran as I over heard that Kirklees Council could stop sponsoring it, which would be a shame.

So going by what's been mentioned already I take that today has been worked out of what depot, I'd imagine that its soley Bramley, Wakefield and Huddersfield depots that were open?

First West Yorkshire has got a number of B7Ls and B7TLs just sent up from FWoE with more of both on their way.

Andyh82

Established Member

That'll be one of the Scania single decks that Leeds have recently gained from First Midland Bluebird, you will have seen it in Bradford. All of Bradford's routes running with Leeds 'skylines' on the side is a sight.

Halifax depot also opens up, although they don't run much so could in theory save a wage or two and run them from Huddersfield.

ivanhoe

The lack of county council support is the main issue but Arriva Midlands looks like a business with a lack of direction

Arriva Midlands is too big a geographical spread, pretty close to what Midland Red was , except Derby, but in different times. You either break it up,say Arriva East Midlands and Arriva West Midlands or consider rolling back part of its base. Hence my concerns about Shrewsbury. However, who would take their place?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Arriva Midlands is too big a geographical spread, pretty close to what Midland Red was , except Derby, but in different times. You either break it up,say Arriva East Midlands and Arriva West Midlands or consider rolling back part of its base. Hence my concerns about Shrewsbury. However, who would take their place?

Are you forgetting Oswestry?

The size of Arriva Midlands is a problem since they also tagged on Beds and Bucks onto it. However, it wasn't before but Arriva in general (and especially Midlands) seems to be a business that doesn't know what it wants to do.

The one plus point for retaining Shrewsbury is that they've already cashed in on the old Ditherington property and they have a lower cost site.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Surprisingly TJ Walsh were running normal weekday services on their commercial routes today as opposed to a Sunday (i.e. no) service. More surprisingly Metro made no mention of this in their Christmas publicity.

anti-pacer

Established Member
That'll be one of the Scania single decks that Leeds have recently gained from First Midland Bluebird, you will have seen it in Bradford. All of Bradford's routes running with Leeds 'skylines' on the side is a sight.

Halifax depot also opens up, although they don't run much so could in theory save a wage or two and run them from Huddersfield.

Are First WY a receiver of second hand buses then? Don't they invest in new buses?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Are First WY a receiver of second hand buses then? Don't they invest in new buses?

Every First Group subsidiary gets secondhand vehicles; it's the way in big groups of balancing age profiles (especially as First's is a bit out of kilter). They've had 40+ new deckers this year, and they've announced a reasonable investment over the next four years.

However, they have a pressing need to get rid of some of the oldest single deckers and non DDA deckers and so some that are perhaps a bit long in the tooth are sent north to act as a stop gap for a couple of years.

Andyh82

Established Member
In the case of Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield they've received large numbers of old ALX400s in recent weeks/months replacing Olympians and non DDA ALX400s. They tend to be only one or two years newer than the buses being withdrawn.

In the case of Leeds, despite the generally new modern fleet there always seems to be an underlying fairly small number of very ancient scania single decks which let the side down that they never seem able to shift. Whatever the investment, they get ignored and just seem to just get replaced by vehicles only a few years newer but equally run down every few years.

the101

As Wazoo has said concerning the 'deckers, it is important to have a varied 'spread' of fleet age. If that does not happen then the issue of having a significant number of buses all coming up for replacement at the same time will arise, hence bringing in older stock from elsewhere while also receiving new vehicles.

First have form for allowing this to have happened before, particularly in the Potteries, with the fleet there having been packed with non-PSVAR buses built between 1997-99. One would think that such a lesson had been learned, but no - now Potteries' fleet is dominated by vehicles built between 2003-06.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
As Wazoo has said concerning the 'deckers, it is important to have a varied 'spread' of fleet age. If that does not happen then the issue of having a significant number of buses all coming up for replacement at the same time will arise, hence bringing in older stock from elsewhere while also receiving new vehicles.

First have form for allowing this to have happened before, particularly in the Potteries, with the fleet there having been packed with non-PSVAR buses built between 1997-99. One would think that such a lesson had been learned, but no - now Potteries' fleet is dominated by vehicles built between 2003-06.

I know we're veering o/t but FWY is getting some slightly newer cascades in the shape of 53 and 56 plates from around the patch (Scotland, Bristol). That said, some of the new fleet received allowed some 2012 fleet to head to Norfolk.

However, the lack of investment in 2008-12 is a problem for First nationally (esp as a chunk went to London) as they struggled with the Laidlaw purchase soaking up capital. My local operation faired ok in 2007-9 but the next few years were pretty thin. It'll take some time to get it all squared up. So Potteries has that issue but isn't making the money to perhaps sustain new or nearly new fleet in great quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.