• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas & Boxing Day Bus Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark-h

in Vegas ... all bus travel was free on New Years Eve from 9pm until 4am the following morning. None of this ever happens over here. We dont even have the service never mind a free one!

It does in Edinburgh, both on bus and (new for this year) tram.

Attachments

• Hogmanay-Buses-2016-WHITE-CEC-1-page-001.jpg
    Hogmanay-Buses-2016-WHITE-CEC-1-page-001.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 35
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Stagecoach running a boxing day service on service 132 Maerdy - Pontypridd - Cardiff most trips only running between Cardiff and Porth with the 1st services of the day starting from Maerdy and the last services of the day running up to Maerdy.

Edwards coaches running a limited service on 100 Pontypridd - Royal Glamorgan Hospital and 400 Gwaunmiskin - Cardiff However this is only 2 trips in one direction and one in the other direction

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And still is on NYE.

TfL will be providing a Sunday service as per usual, except on Route 96 to Bluewater where a Saturday timetable will be in operation.

Free service used to be sponsored by a private company - is it still?

Alfie1014

Pretty much complete lack of bus services in East Anglia on Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day from the big boys in most of Cambs, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk, except some limited services to Stansted Airport and Clacton (shopping village!) on Boxing and New Year's Days and Ensign running from Southend to Lakeside on Boxing Day.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I heard a rumour a few years ago that tfl were going to allow bus operators to run a commercial service on christmas day, where the bus operators would keep the oyster revenue for themselves and could use available tfl support structures for free (ibus, publicity and posters but not centrecomm ) they were also going to be free to charge a higher cash fare, and turn away staff passes but nothing ever came of it.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Arriva in Milton Keynes are running a skeleton service on Boxing day on the trunk routes - 4, 5, 6, and 300. All starting too late for me so it's a taxi or a lift home for me.

pitdiver

Arriva in Milton Keynes are running a skeleton service on Boxing day on the trunk routes - 4, 5, 6, and 300. All starting too late for me so it's a taxi or a lift home for me.

I have every sympathy for you and passengers of National Express for the Coachway. There seems to be an hourly service between the Point and the Coachway then that is up to 1720 then the next is at 2120. The taxi companies are going to make a killing I think.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Stagecoach running a boxing day service on service 132 Maerdy - Pontypridd - Cardiff most trips only running between Cardiff and Porth with the 1st services of the day starting from Maerdy and the last services of the day running up to Maerdy.

Edwards coaches running a limited service on 100 Pontypridd - Royal Glamorgan Hospital and 400 Gwaunmiskin - Cardiff However this is only 2 trips in one direction and one in the other direction

It's almost as if the upper valleys don't exist!
Especially with the lack of a train service, I am surprised Stagecoach don't try something on the 120/130 tbh.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's almost as if the upper valleys don't exist!
Especially with the lack of a train service, I am surprised Stagecoach don't try something on the 120/130 tbh.

There is the risk of overstating or overestimating the demand for Boxing Day services. First in both West and South West operated quite a bit in 2015 and substantially less - nothing in Bath, Somerset or Cornwall

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There is the risk of overstating or overestimating the demand for Boxing Day services. First in both West and South West operated quite a bit in 2015 and substantially less - nothing in Bath, Somerset or Cornwall

The 39 is running this year from Bath to Bristol every 30 minutes between 7am and 7pm although there isn't anything in the timetable to state that its new for 2016.

Shame that there isn't owt eastward in the direction of BOA, Trow or Westbury to Bath or better still to the RUH Bath so that visitors are able to visit considering that its the nearest with A&E facilities and is one which would be open for visitors on Boxing Day, although should such a service be provided I don't think that it'd warrant an hourly service maybe two hourly tops.

ooo

b66573547b5070004049d9c0374beaef.jpg

NAT are just operating the T9 service to Cardiff Airport on Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Incredible that London is not running anything today (Xmas day). For a city that claims to be a leading world city that is nothing short of scandalous. Come on Sadiq, do something about it for next year!

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm loving the fact there are no buses passing my flat today. I normally get buses every 2-3 mins passing during the day (not that I see them much, being at work), and every 5 or so mins in the evening.

I live on a main road with a railway line directly behind me and today is so quiet. There is also a carwash opposite me that's open 7 days a week, and that's closed too.

The peace is lovely!

pitdiver

Here in deepest Bedfordshire (I'm halfway between Luton and Bedford) our last bus was at about 1700hrs on Saturday, naturally no buses today, Sunday service tomorrow and Tuesday i.e no buses. Then the next buses will be Wednesday morning and then it's a Saturday service for the rest of the week. New years day no service and Bank Holiday Monday, no service.I know I live what could be considered a large village but we are quite well populated due to recent housing developments.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'm loving the fact there are no buses passing my flat today. I normally get buses every 2-3 mins passing during the day (not that I see them much, being at work), and every 5 or so mins in the evening.

I live on a main road with a railway line directly behind me and today is so quiet. There is also a carwash opposite me that's open 7 days a week, and that's closed too.

The peace is lovely!

I second that. I've gotten so used to hearing the gurgling rumble of a First Glasgow E300 less than 200 yards away from my front door every 3-5 mins for most of the day, the quiet that comes from no services running on the 25th is strange, yet calming.

radamfi

Established Member
Incredible that London is not running anything today (Xmas day). For a city that claims to be a leading world city that is nothing short of scandalous. Come on Sadiq, do something about it for next year!

TfL did analysis a year ago showing a low cost benefit ratio, but sort of left the door open for "further work":

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/stp-20151022-part-1-item13-christmas-day-bus-services.pdf

I've just spent today travelling around the south of the Netherlands in quite rural areas near the Belgian border where Arriva run a normal Sunday service today as in most areas in Europe.

(As an aside, in this area Arriva run luxurious buses and the seats have huge cushions).

I then went up to Rotterdam on one of the faster bus routes and transport in Rotterdam was very busy with some standing. Before anyone asks, they do celebrate Christmas here! Almost all shops were closed yet people were travelling around a lot, presumably to visit friends and family.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I second that. I've gotten so used to hearing the gurgling rumble of a First Glasgow E300 less than 200 yards away from my front door every 3-5 mins for most of the day, the quiet that comes from no services running on the 25th is strange, yet calming.

It's nice isn't it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
TfL did analysis a year ago showing a low cost benefit ratio, but sort of left the door open for "further work":

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/stp-20151022-part-1-item13-christmas-day-bus-services.pdf

I've just spent today travelling around the south of the Netherlands in quite rural areas near the Belgian border where Arriva run a normal Sunday service today as in most areas in Europe.

(As an aside, in this area Arriva run luxurious buses and the seats have huge cushions).

I then went up to Rotterdam on one of the faster bus routes and transport in Rotterdam was very busy with some standing. Before anyone asks, they do celebrate Christmas here! Almost all shops were closed yet people were travelling around a lot, presumably to visit friends and family.

Have you travelled yourself to see friends and family or just gone for a trip out?

Robertj21a

On Moderation

That's not really a valid comparison. As you'll know, much of Europe celebrates on Xmas Eve - 25th December is far more like an ordinary day in many countries. It's the UK that's a bit out of step by celebrating more on Xmas Day.

radamfi

Established Member
Have you travelled yourself to see friends and family or just gone for a trip out?

Just gone for a trip.

That's not really a valid comparison. As you'll know, much of Europe celebrates on Xmas Eve - 25th December is far more like an ordinary day in many countries. It's the UK that's a bit out of step by celebrating more on Xmas Day.

But they have normal service on Christmas Eve, and I did point out most things are closed on Christmas Day just like in Britain.

Actually, the Netherlands is worse than most of Europe in shutting down transport early on New Year's Eve, around 8pm. However, they do resume at 1am for night services and New Year's Day is a normal Sunday service.

CD

Here in deepest Bedfordshire (I'm halfway between Luton and Bedford) our last bus was at about 1700hrs on Saturday, naturally no buses today, Sunday service tomorrow and Tuesday i.e no buses. Then the next buses will be Wednesday morning and then it's a Saturday service for the rest of the week. New years day no service and Bank Holiday Monday, no service.I know I live what could be considered a large village but we are quite well populated due to recent housing developments.

The 2nd largest town in Somerset with a population of 45000 has exactly the same lack of service as your village. :cry:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's hardly anyone left; most people have gone back home for Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.