• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas trains on Heritage Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I think it's absolutely brilliant that at this time of year, Heritage Lines across the country run Santa Specials for kids. Brilliant source of income, great to get people visiting who wouldn't otherwise and looks like it's fun (yet hard work) for the volunteers.

However, it did get me thinking: Do any Heritage Railways run Christmas-themed services in December that are aimed at the more general public? Trains that are similar to ordinary service trains, just decorated to look a bit more christmassy etc?

If not, could this work, running alongside Santa specials (e.g. on lines where they can run 2+ trains, running a santa in one direction and a christmas train in the other?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midnight Sun

Swanage is running trains daily from Boxing day through to 6th Jan 2019, Plus the Christmas luncheon trains on 15th 16th 22nd 23rd all sold out. And the Christmas Belle on the same dates. And very nice it was too for me and my partner last year.

krus_aragon

Established Member
However, it did get me thinking: Do any Heritage Railways run Christmas-themed services in December that are aimed at the more general public? Trains that are similar to ordinary service trains, just decorated to look a bit more christmassy etc?
I think the term you're looking for is "Mince Pie Special" . Many railways run such services.

UP13

To me Christmas is all about family and children so the Santa Specials are fine.

How many people would go on a normal service that ran alongside a santa special, assuming any enthusiast with children or grandchildren would be on the special?

I think it's absolutely brilliant that at this time of year, Heritage Lines across the country run Santa Specials for kids. Brilliant source of income, great to get people visiting who wouldn't otherwise and looks like it's fun (yet hard work) for the volunteers.

If not, could this work, running alongside Santa specials (e.g. on lines where they can run 2+ trains, running a santa in one direction and a christmas train in the other?)
I think you need to be a trifle more sympathetic towards those who are already working themselves into a frazzle dealing with Santa Specials!

alexl92

Established Member
Swanage is running trains daily from Boxing day through to 6th Jan 2019, Plus the Christmas luncheon trains on 15th 16th 22nd 23rd all sold out. And the Christmas Belle on the same dates. And very nice it was too for me and my partner last year.

Interesting, thanks!

I think the term you're looking for is "Mince Pie Special" . Many railways run such services.

Ooh - good to know.

To me Christmas is all about family and children so the Santa Specials are fine.

How many people would go on a normal service that ran alongside a santa special, assuming any enthusiast with children or grandchildren would be on the special?

Absolutely don’t want to be critical of the Santa Specials. I loved them as a kid. Was just thinking if I wanted a ride with my other half (we don’t have kids yet) as a bit of a day out, does anywhere run services? Looks like they do :)

NYMR has services running after Christmas to New Year.
Winter Services: 27 December 2018 to 1 January 2019
Thanks!

I think you need to be a trifle more sympathetic towards those who are already working themselves into a frazzle dealing with Santa Specials!

.....especially as the crews are, in the main, volunteers.

To both: I absolutely am sympathetic and it wasn’t a complaint at all! Just a geniune question. I know they generally work very, very hard.

duffield

Established Member
I believe that Santa Specials are often popular to the point of being fully booked, and are profitable enough to turn the entire year's finances around. So most railways in the run-up to Xmas will use all the capacity they have to run as many Santa specials as possible and so they won't have the capacity to run other services.
As pointed out above though, there are quite a lots of post-Xmas day "mince pie specials" or whatever the railway happens to call them. So those without children, like me and yourself will mostly have to wait until the 27th. However, I do seem to recall the Spa Valley Railway might have had some 'non-santa' carriages on some of their Santa Specials last year (though I didn't travel on them so I don't know what the loadings were like. Maybe some other railways do this as well?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The WSR run carol trains, and also the Dunster by Candlelight specials.

vlad

However, I do seem to recall the Spa Valley Railway might have had some 'non-santa' carriages on some of their Santa Specials last year (though I didn't travel on them so I don't know what the loadings were like. Maybe some other railways do this as well?

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway also has a Santa-free carriage on their trains. Their website says they've still got plenty of space left.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The South Devon and the Dartmouth Steam Railways are both operating between Christmas and New Year, and I'll be travelling on them on, I hope!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
KWVR run services Boxing day to New Years Day. Boxing day generally a 6 coach train is standing room only!

Shenandoah

The South Devon and the Dartmouth Steam Railways are both operating between Christmas and New Year, and I'll be travelling on them on, I hope!
All the Train of Lights dates seem to be sold out, so hopefully you may have booked. About 23 days in operation and it has obviously been a resounding success. I guess other lines will copy next year. ;)
https://www.dsrrbchristmas.co.uk/train-of-lights
Santa trains tickets are still available I believe.
I get the feeling that the Train of Lights attracts a lot of adults as well as children, where Santa is more child related.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All the Train of Lights dates seem to be sold out, so hopefully you may have booked. About 23 days in operation and it has obviously been a resounding success. I guess other lines will copy next year. ;)
I get the feeling that the Train of Lights attracts a lot of adults as well as children, where Santa is more child related.
My friend called the train of lights The Dartmouth Rave Train. Free acid with every ticket. :lol:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Their electric bill must be huge.

What’s powering the lights, diesel on rear ?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

They are also running a standard timetable during the day, and it's these that I'm travelling on. It's possible that I may see the train at Paignton before it goes on it's first run, but I may have left by then.

I agree that it looks good, but I'm not too fussed about missing it, which is not to say that I disagree with it in any way. I'm sure that it will be a good trip.

Shenandoah

Their electric bill must be huge.

What’s powering the lights, diesel on rear ?
I understand it is the class 37 diesel D6975 from the SDR which was recently exchanged with DSR's Class 25 D7535.
The woodland scenes are lit, presumably by a generator. Costs will be well covered by the success of ticket sales besides I guess that LED's are used in most instances.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR has been running Santa trains weekends and midweek up to Christmas, then running each day up to Jan 2nd with a two train service. This will also be the last chance to see Oliver Cromwell running as it is withdrawn for overhaul in 2019.
That "Train of Lights" looks very good! I wonder how many more we will see next year??

Tomnick

Established Member
The GCR has been running Santa trains weekends and midweek up to Christmas, then running each day up to Jan 2nd with a two train service. This will also be the last chance to see Oliver Cromwell running as it is withdrawn for overhaul in 2019.
There's also (possibly uniquely?) a dining train on Christmas Day itself, with standard class accommodation on the second round trip traditionally available for locals to have a ride out too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That "Train of Lights" looks very good! I wonder how many more we will see next year??
It’s a bit of a winner isn’t it Phil?
With modern LEDs it doesn’t even have to cost much.
The DSR certainly know how to make a profit that’s for sure! :lol:

Steptoe

This seems a suitable thread to publish a rather sad and cautionary tale from last night.

Both the Telford Steam Railway and the Mid-Norfolk Railway are operating (very) successful Polar Express experiences this year; however presumably the TSR weren't running on the 13th as the MNR ticket office received a phone call from a booked group an hour before departure time to say they arrived at the station (presumably Horsehay?) but found it shut and deserted!

Indeed in past years when we used to run Santa Specials, some of which departed from the Wymondham end of the line, we frequently fielded calls from passengers who had gone to Wymondham main line station rather than Wymondham Abbey, however these are only about a mile apart, so no real harm done!

433N

Bo'ness also do Black Bun Hogmanay trains on 30 and 31 / 12 aimed at the gen public , although us enthusiasts get our kicks at the Diesel Gala the day before (which I was gutted to miss last year due to very heavy snow on the day).

As a general point, I do wonder why more places don't open in this period. Christmas being family time is great but after 3 or 4 days , I am climbing the walls to go out. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think this is why 'the sales' are so popular ; I mean, people don't really enjoy shopping, do they ?

Bedpan

Established Member
Mid Hants are running a two train service from Boxing Day to New Years Day, and it'll be the last chance to travel to Alton for a few months, and to cross over the old road bridge. In some ways winter is the best time to visit a steam railway - more steam from the engines in the colder damper conditions, steam from steam heating rising from under the carriages, and at some, the only opportunity to travel in night time conditions. That is probably what makes the Train of Lights such an exciting proposition - as apart from the moon out over the sea (if the weather is clear and the direction of the moon is right) it even provides something more to look out of the window for between villages/stations.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As a general point, I do wonder why more places don't open in this period. Christmas being family time is great but after 3 or 4 days , I am climbing the walls to go out. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think this is why 'the sales' are so popular ; I mean, people don't really enjoy shopping, do they ?

I agree with you, but I suppose that one of the reasons might be is that if it is a mostly volunteer organisation, the volunteers aren't available to work for various reasons. This means that they haven't got enough staff to run a service, so they don't do so.

It's a shame, but there's only so much that can be done, I guess.

xotGD

Established Member
I have visions of a crank dragging along an unsuspecting niece or nephew 'for cover' because they require the loco on a Santa Special.

433N

I have visions of a crank dragging along an unsuspecting niece or nephew 'for cover' because they require the loco on a Santa Special.

You say that like it's a bad thing ! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.