• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Circle Line PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Hello, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before so sorry if it has. Ever since the Circle Line started running through to Hammersmith to improve reliability, the PIS system has not worked very well. Trains are not displayed on it until seconds before they come into the platform in some cases, with screen just saying "Welcome to Baker Street" or "Circle Line via Liverpool Street" for example. Does anyone know why this has happened, and is anything being done about it?

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before so sorry if it has. Ever since the Circle Line started running through to Hammersmith to improve reliability, the PIS system has not worked very well. Trains are not displayed on it until seconds before they come into the platform in some cases, with screen just saying "Welcome to Baker Street" or "Circle Line via Liverpool Street" for example. Does anyone know why this has happened, and is anything being done about it?
At which location are you referring to?

This post from 2007 might explain it http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=113945&postcount=6

It isn't anything to do with the Circle line being extended, it has always been an issue on the SubSurface lines at many locations; for example at Great Portland Street Outer Rail it will only display once the train has left Baker Street; the Dot Matrix Indicators at Kings + will also have the same issue, however as Baker Street is further away it could realistically have multiple trains shown.

I would envisage once the new signalling system is in operation in 5 Yrs or whenever, that more accurate real time information will be available. In the mean time for the locations at which it works, use the Live Departure Boards webpage of the TfL website or an App which draws its data from Tracker.

Dstock7080

Established Member
In the mean time for the locations at which it works, use the Live Departure Boards webpage of the TfL website or an App which draws its data from Tracker.
Unfortunately, the area in question - H&C Goldhawk Rd-Paddington, does not carry TrackerNet info which does affect the available info.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately, the area in question - H&C Goldhawk Rd-Paddington, does not carry TrackerNet info which does affect the available info.

He didn't actually say what the area in question he is referring to, and I did say it won't work everywhere. Although from the post I linked to it should be clear that there is no information available on the Hammersmith branch except for the Hammersmith station area itself (which is of limited use).

Two thirds of the time realtime information is available on the branch in the form of announcements.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I see, thanks very much guys. I guess it has always been like that then. I was referring to the whole Circle line in general, as opposed to any specific area, but I have experience the problem at Paddington, Baker Street, Euston Square, Liverpool Street, Aldgate and Tower Hill. Thanks very much for the responses.

Adam :D

bicbasher

Established Member
It also happens at Whitechapel on the District and H&C, where only the next service is shown and only just before the train pulls in.

Nym

Established Member
The lack of trackernet between Hammersmith and near Paddington isn't going to change until the re-signalling, the whole area is auto signalled...

Status
Not open for further replies.