• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Clap For Carers" is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Almost 10 months on from when it first started, this week sees the return of "Clap for Carers" every Thursday night at 8pm. What with this returning, the return of a full March/April style national lockdown, the return of the "Stay at Home. Save Lives. Protect the NHS" slogan on the podiums of the Downing Street Press Conferences, I for one feel very much a sense of Deja Vu, and we've resetted right back to where we were some 10 months ago at the start of all this!

Clap for Carers has been resurrected for the latest lockdown

The sounds of applause will once again fill streets across the UK, as Clap for our Carers makes an official return.

Every Thursday night at 8pm, the public is being encouraged to Clap for Heroes, as it is now known.

Founder of Clap For Our Carers and Clap For Heroes, Annemarie Plas commented: "When we first started clapping for our incredible NHS staff, care workers and key workers last March, none of us had any expectation that we would be in an even worse situation nine months later.

"Last year the weekly applause united communities and had us talking to our neighbours whilst we acknowledged the immense sacrifices our carers were making.

"They were and still are heroes, but this time round we also want to recognise all the other heroes that keep the country going and have endured such challenging times.

"This Thursday at 8pm we want the whole country to unite again to remember and celebrate all of these heroes, including those most dear to us. Bring out those pots and pans, get the kids involved - they’ve been heroes too after all!"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quite clearly part of the plan to batter us all into submission again ready for another long lockdown.

SteveM70

Established Member
This whole nonsense really irritates me. Far more than it probably should

duncanp

Established Member
They can count me out for a start.

It is likely to cause conflict, as anyone who doesn't participate may be liable to receive hassle, either in person or on social media.

I do appreciate what NHS and other key workers do.

It is just that I don't feel the need to indulge in a weekly session of virtue signalling to prove it.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I won’t be emotionally blackmailed into taking part this time. It’s pure virtue-signalling and government need to step up and raise pay for all in the NHS, not least so that retention of staff is less of an issue in future.
I am a key worker and have been at work throughout the pandemic, part of the chain that gets goods ordered online to people’s homes. I neither expect nor want patronising applause; I do, however, want my employer to (ahem) deliver financial recognition of the ‘huge risk’ myself and my colleagues have undertaken in going to work

Bantamzen

Established Member
I won’t be emotionally blackmailed into taking part this time. It’s pure virtue-signalling and government need to step up and raise pay for all in the NHS, not least so that retention of staff is less of an issue in future.
I am a key worker and have been at work throughout the pandemic, part of the chain that gets goods ordered online to people’s homes. I neither expect nor want patronising applause; I do, however, want my employer to (ahem) deliver financial recognition of the ‘huge risk’ myself and my colleagues have undertaken in going to work
Likewise, I'll doubtless get some dirty looks from some neighbours but if any say anything I'll just ask how much that influenced government to better fund the NHS, then remind them their furlough money is potentially taking money away from the NHS. Bang yer pots to that tune!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, It was fine first time round, but I've done with it now. I've no wish to remenisce about the last lockdown. Just concentrate on the vaccine roll out.

birchesgreen

Established Member

It is likely to cause conflict, as anyone who doesn't participate may be liable to receive hassle, either in person or on social media.
I doubt it, i ignored it every time the first time around. I wasn't tarred and feathered.

SteveM70

Established Member

It is just that I don't feel the need to indulge in a weekly session of virtue signalling to prove it.

I didn’t do it last year and nobody said anything - at least not to my face. They can say whatever they want in private. Also, a midwinter clap is less likely to lead to aggro as people will be seeing their neighbours far less than they were last summer

Domh245

Established Member
I also plan on completely ignoring this sycophantic virtue signalling like I did last time, but now I'm back with my parents as opposed to living on my own it may be trickier to do so :/

duncanp

Established Member
I doubt it, i ignored it every time the first time around. I wasn't tarred and feathered.

I appreciate that you weren't "tarred and feathered".

But some people who did not participate were definitely subject to various forms of unpleasantness.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Good to see that applause is being accepted as currency once more. :rolleyes:

I didn't join in last time and I won't be doing this time. Virtue signalling of the highest order.

DustyBin

Established Member
I didn't do it the first time and I won't do it this time, I can appreciate the efforts of NHS staff and carers without this charade. If other people want to do it then that's up to them, but I won't do something so inane just because our overlords tell us it's a good idea. I'm sure they find the 'silly little people' stood clapping at the sky highly ammusing!

I do try and abide by the 'live and let live' mantra but this winds me up for some reason.

Trackman

Established Member
It’s a no from me too.
Anyone remember that clap for boris evening?
One lone person decided to go in the street and start clapping.
As I watched his next door neighbour came out to enquire what was going on and when he told her she pulled her face a few choice words and slammed the front door!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It’s a no from me too.
As I watched his next door neighbour came out to enquire what was going on and when he told her she pulled her face a few choice words and slammed the front door!

I didn't even remember that one !

hwl

Established Member

Zero participation near me after the first one as the ambulance service carried out one of our neighbours about 5 seconds in and those doing it realised it was very bad taste...

Created by a social media expert whose employer happens to do work for the government.

The government should be finding meaningful ways of thanking those helping.

Darandio

Established Member
No thanks. While i'm sure we all appreciate them very much the service shouldn't have been in such disarray, money needs throwing at the problem to relieve the pressure, banging a pot doesn't help that.

Every Thursday on our main shop I always put a few quids worth of stuff in the foodbank box at my local supermarket, that is something everyone could do to make a difference for someone else.

jkkne

Oh lovely, I imagine most people won't do it as it'll be dark and if you can't be seen clapping what is the point?....

I look forward to our passive aggressive neighbourhood facebook group subtly questioning where everybody was and roll calling those brave souls who stepped out to calp

Ianno87

Veteran Member
People will happily clap and then will still put an X next to 'Conservative' come 2024.

It’s a no from me too.

I didn't even remember that one !

It was when he was in intensive care.

It wasn't quite as popular as clapping for nurses, strangely enough.

LAX54

Established Member
Reading all the posts, then it is a big NO from the majority ! last time it got out of hand anyway, although one of my videos of a whole bunch of 321's going toot toot made the NR twitter feed :) lol

scrapy

Established Member
A friend of mine who is an auxiliary nurse working 13 hour shifts absolutely hated the fact that her sleep was interupted every Thursday and often found it difficult to get back to sleep afterwards. Or she had to wait until 8 to go to bed. The first couple of times she was ok with it as a novelty but when it's week after week with people banging pans and competing to make as much noise as possible it just annoyed her and felt more like a kick in the teeth, however well intended. There are others with young kids who go to bed before 8 and rail workers on very early starts that probably think the same.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
FFS

Isn't the last Thursday in March a "Clap for Carers Day?" even in many years to come? That will do for me.

westv

Established Member
Does it come with the chance to win free rail travel for 12 months? :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.