• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 141s - How far from Yorkshire did they get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Not outside Yorkshire, but I remember one Sunday travelling from Doncaster to Leeds when following the cancellation of a KX-Leeds train, a 141 was used to provide a connection off a KX-Edinburgh at Doncaster. After departing Doncaster, the guard announced "Welcome to this additional Inter City East Coast service to Wakefield Westgate and Leeds" which I found hilarious. They even put a refreshment trolley on it!

I've travelled on Regional Railways Northwest services operated by 142s that had a trolley catering service and that was quite an experience, but a 141 :o Did the steward provide passengers with complementary bibs when they ordered drinks?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
I sadly don't remember the 141s, at least not consciously. When I was little, in the early 90s, my sister would take me out on a DayRover and we'd go all over the place. I almost certainly would have travelled on a 141 at some point, but of course to a four year old anything that isn't a Thomas character just looks the same.

randyrippley

Established Member
It's worth noting that the shade of blue applied to these units was reportedly that of Barrow Corporation, rather than the correct (but virtually indistinguishable, IMO) rail blue.

Barrow ran several Leyland National prototypes (they ended up at Stagecoach Morecambe) and clearly had a strong relationship with Leyland Bus. I suspect the town council were supportive of anything which created local jobs - including supplying paint from the bus depot stores

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
My family moved to York when I was nearly 3 and on moving day we travelled by train. I have a very clear memory of sitting on the 141 and my mother doing her best to keep our birdcage steady on the seat next to her, our cockatiel swaying around crazily on its perch due to the bouncy ride!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I sadly don't remember the 141s, at least not consciously. When I was little, in the early 90s, my sister would take me out on a DayRover and we'd go all over the place. I almost certainly would have travelled on a 141 at some point, but of course to a four year old anything that isn't a Thomas character just looks the same.

They would have made a great character in a modern day version of Thomas.
'Oh dear, Peter the Pacer has embarrassed himself again by bouncing around and sloshing tea all over the poor commuters cheap suit!'
'Perhaps it's time he was sent to Iran as a punishment'...

theblackwatch

Established Member
In addition to the accurate descriptions given by other posters, they also had crew entry slam doors behind the cabs- passengers were not permitted to use these doors, but the only obstacle preventing it was a steel tube section which slotted into brackets attached to the (sort-of) bulkhead. This looked like an afterthought. The original seat fabric was a rather nice blue & silver pattern, and most retained this. The photo provided by Sprinterguy will be one of a handful which were fitted with modified gearboxes as a test-bed for a 142 modification, as the 142 seat covers were done at the same time. All 142s received the upgrade but no further 141s were treated. IIRC only one of the ones preserved in Britain was an unmodified example.

I'm afraid I need to correct you here. Only one set (141113) had the mods you mentioned. The seat moquette was actually replaced on some units during refurbishment at Kilmarnock - the early sets to be dealt with came out with the original seat covers, but the later ones had the covers replaced with the moquette as per the 144s. I used to know which ones had been done, but 20-odd years later, my memory is a bit hazy!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm afraid I need to correct you here. Only one set (141113) had the mods you mentioned. The seat moquette was actually replaced on some units during refurbishment at Kilmarnock - the early sets to be dealt with came out with the original seat covers, but the later ones had the covers replaced with the moquette as per the 144s. I used to know which ones had been done, but 20-odd years later, my memory is a bit hazy!

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure how many were upgraded but assumed it was 2 or 3.

Rover

As part of my duties on BR in the Sheffield area I tried to travel in them all, managed 13 out of the 20, I was careless to have two of them twice and the furthest distance travelled was 39 miles.

I liked them though, they were different.

D1009

Established Member
I've travelled on Regional Railways Northwest services operated by 142s that had a trolley catering service and that was quite an experience, but a 141 :o Did the steward provide passengers with complementary bibs when they ordered drinks?
This was the early 90s, after electrification but before privatisation. I don't think the complementary stuff was available then.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This was the early 90s, after electrification but before privatisation. I don't think the complementary stuff was available then.

I think Ash Bridge was making a sly reference to the bumpy ride of these... erm, luxury intercity units- that a bib would be required if attempting to eat or drink anything on board!

One thing the 141s had over later Pacers was the shorter wheelbase which meant less squealing on corners (providing the brakes weren't also being used!).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So, in service we have the extremities of Darlington, Scarborough, Lincoln and Blackpool... along with non-passenger appearances at Workington, Derby, Kilmarnock and allegedly Inverness (pics or it didn't happen;)).

Any advances?

theblackwatch

Established Member
It is, though I don't know the story behind why...

One 141 got a bit too friendly with a 156 in 1989 at Huddersfield and was written off, I'd been at the station only half an hour beforehand as a seven-year-old!

Someone I know was a bit closer - I seem to remember he was on one of the units involved!

notverydeep

One 141 got a bit too friendly with a 156 in 1989 at Huddersfield and was written off, I'd been at the station only half an hour beforehand as a seven-year-old!

Somewhere I have an old print photo of this occurrence that I took from below the viaduct and another taken from the station the following morning. From memory the unit involved was 141104, I can't recall the 156. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic (now University) at that time and lived in Fitzwilliam Street, about 300 metres south of the Viaduct where it had occurred.

In those years I would have had a fair number trips on 141s (including some on 104 prior to this) they were common on all the routes to and from Huddersfield in my years there.

I remember seeing the 156 and 141 on the viaduct walking home in the late evening. It was dark, but street lights lit up the main roads close by. As they were stopped in an odd place, I walked up to the viaduct to get a closer look (from below) and it was only there that it became apparent that they had collided.

The damage didn't look too serious and I concluded the speed was clearly quite low. I assumed the accident resulted from a SPAD, but don't remember reading about a report, although RAIL magazine might well have commented on one.

In a sense it is a shame that the thread excludes those in Iran. There is very little information that I have found on line about where they were put to work, although there are a few fleeting pictures and a reference to some or all being out of service by 2005, but still extant. There is a more recent picture of one dumped in sidings on this thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76653 about them. It would be interesting to know if any UK Railway Enthusiasts managed to get some Iranian track in for 141s!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Someone I know was a bit closer - I seem to remember he was on one of the units involved!

Somewhere I have an old print photo of this occurrence that I took from below the viaduct and another taken from the station the following morning. From memory the unit involved was 141104, I can't recall the 156. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic (now University) at that time and lived in Fitzwilliam Street, about 300 metres south of the Viaduct where it had occurred.

In those years I would have had a fair number trips on 141s (including some on 104 prior to this) they were common on all the routes to and from Huddersfield in my years there.

I remember seeing the 156 and 141 on the viaduct walking home in the late evening. It was dark, but street lights lit up the main roads close by. As they were stopped in an odd place, I walked up to the viaduct to get a closer look (from below) and it was only there that it became apparent that they had collided.

The damage didn't look too serious and I concluded the speed was clearly quite low. I assumed the accident resulted from a SPAD, but don't remember reading about a report, although RAIL magazine might well have commented on one.

In a sense it is a shame that the thread excludes those in Iran. There is very little information that I have found on line about where they were put to work, although there are a few fleeting pictures and a reference to some or all being out of service by 2005, but still extant. There is a more recent picture of one dumped in sidings on this thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76653 about them. It would be interesting to know if any UK Railway Enthusiasts managed to get some Iranian track in for 141s!

Small world!

I remember seeing the two units parked in the sidings beyond platform 8. Having seen pictures since then, it's clear that the 141 suffered the worst of the two. I also remember reading the report online, IIRC the remodelling and resignalling that was taking place at the time was a contributing factor, as was the poor weather on the night in question.

The 156 was 156476, and when repaired was reallocated to Haymarket. I suppose it may have been possible to repair the railbus, but in 1989 the unit was relatively easy to replace by using a surplus heritage unit from elsewhere, as they were still a few in the area and the 141s were regarded as unreliable anyway. If a 142 was to suffer similar damage now, with less than 3 years left it would probably be written off.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Re Huddersfield; the accident occurred due to lax procedures for manual route setting by points operators during the possession and Provincial attempting to run the entire service without any signalling. In some ways, an early indicator of far worse events at Clapham Junction, brought on by excessive working hours at weekends and inexperienced staff trying to keep the job going without proper training or oversight.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Re Huddersfield; the accident occurred due to lax procedures for manual route setting by points operators during the possession and Provincial attempting to run the entire service without any signalling. In some ways, an early indicator of far worse events at Clapham Junction, brought on by excessive working hours at weekends and inexperienced staff trying to keep the job going without proper training or oversight.

Not really an early indicator, as the Clapham Disaster happened a year and a day before the Huddersfield collision. Though the factors you mention were present in both events.

EDIT: The gap between the two was in fact 364 days, not 366.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Not really an early indicator, as the Clapham Disaster happened a year and a day before the Huddersfield collision. Though the factors you mention were present in both events.

EDIT: The gap between the two was in fact 364 days, not 366.

Thank you for pointing that out! Don't know why I managed to get that wrong.

djpontrack

I only managed to travel on 7 class 141's and they were all in Yorkshire. I've not heard of any appearing on Morecambe services but I've only lived here since 2008. When I'm back at work next week I will ask my colleague who is a local and an enthusiast if he has seen one here.

I've spoken to two local enthusiasts here in Morecambe and neither can recall seeing a class 141 here.

randyrippley

Established Member
wasn't there a worry about the early Pacers being unable to trigger track circuits so single Sprinter coaches were attached until an improved conduction link was fitted?
Just a vague memory from years ago........

EvanDMU

141113 (which is freshly repainted and has a retrimmed interior) is alive and well and has been running services to Swanwick-on-Sea on the Midland Railway Butterley all this week, complete with a destination blind that reads "Seaside Special". Does this artificial beach count?
For a picture see http://llangollenrailcars.co.uk/News.php and scroll down to the 5th picture on the August 7th item.

Status
Not open for further replies.