• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 141s in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr3

What's the lettering on the side? It doesn't look like Arabic script.
These are arabic/persian scripts.

left_757-93.jpg

Left car: 757-93

right_757-141.jpg

Right car: 757-141

Don't know the Iranian numbering scheme for these units.

it probably reads "pack full of explosives and return to sender"!:lol:
Wrong country! Iran is a rather quiet and safe place. Despite the image given by western media, people there are by no ways fanatic nor do you have to fear any terrorist act from them. They are much more friendly with Europeans than some of the latter would deserve...

The cars are abandoned. But I wonder if they would survive like this in any European railyard without broken glasses and tons of writings and graffiti.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Wrong country! Iran is a rather quiet and safe place. Despite the image given by western media, people there are by no ways fanatic nor do you have to fear any terrorist act from them. They are much more friendly with Europeans than some of the latter would deserve...

I really don't believe it was meant to imply terrorism or violence.

It's a long standing joke that these units were utterly terrible and sending them to Iran was a form of punishment. 455driver is merely joking that the punishment should now be returned. :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
That is exacly what I meant, having ridden on them around Leeds before and after refurbishment I can vouch for the "interesting" ride of them.

Have you ever been on a train that when it stops it continues to rock back and forward on the spring plank for 2 or 3 minutes because they only had one damper in the middle of the 2 strings?
Seeing the spring plank twisted at a 45 degree angle with the rear spring completely compressed and the front spring almost falling out under braking was brilliant design, not.

As for the "brakes" when first built, no comment.

fr3

That is exacly what I meant, having ridden on them around Leeds before and after refurbishment I can vouch for the "interesting" ride of them.

Have you ever been on a train that when it stops it continues to rock back and forward on the spring plank for 2 or 3 minutes because they only had one damper in the middle of the 2 strings?
Seeing the spring plank twisted at a 45 degree angle with the rear spring completely compressed and the front spring almost falling out under braking was brilliant design, not.

As for the "brakes" when first built, no comment.
Sorry, I completely misunderstood. Now it is quite clear what you mean. I have never traveled on these trains, neither in Iran nor in Britain. Did not know that they where such a technical failure.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
These are arabic/persian scripts.

Left car: 757-93
Right car: 757-141

Don't know the Iranian numbering scheme for these units.

Thanks for the close-up pics - numbers not lettering then.
(Typo? Isn't the left car 757-94 rather than 757-93?)

455driver

Veteran Member
Not sure about that one but as the brakes were bowden cable operated (think pushbike brakes) if the toilet dropped onto the cables it could pull them on I suppose.

The cables did have a habit of stretching meaning the brake cylinder pulled the cable but the cable didnt pull the shoes onto the wheels, hence all the pacers being modified to direct acting brakes.

34D

Established Member
Is it still in 'Metro Train' livery?! No wonder it's in that state.

It is indeed. This livery would have been applied circa 1989/1990. Wearing very very well considering.

At least we have three (iirc) units in preservation over here, so no mad panic to repatriate this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.