• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 165 Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

turbo mick

166201 appears to have new air-con fitted, it has got similar vents on the roof to SWTs 159s.

166201 is old aircon it was the first refurb design for the drivers cab also but didnt work to well.

If you look under the front of the drivers cab you will see a block thats our air con unit for the drivers cab.

class465

166201 appears to have new air-con fitted, it has got similar vents on the roof to SWTs 159s.
tes i think its an experimental or they've fitted the new aircon units early because the old ones broke
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Once again First need to learn from Chiltern. However I do like this colour scheme but this is nothing compared to a Chiltern 165.

It is finished and I think 165109 is the other one that is also finished, this was mentioned nearly 2 months back.
165 101 is finished i dont thing 109 is

starrymarkb

Established Member
The seats were re trimmed by FGWLink, AFAIK that's all that's been done (though someone will probably prove me wrong)

turbo mick

ive driven 165120.165101 and ive heard 165109 is out in traffic but failed the insides look ok and they sandblastered the driving cabs to try and make them look good :(

adc82140

Established Member
The seats were re trimmed by FGWLink, AFAIK that's all that's been done (though someone will probably prove me wrong)

The carpets in first class were replaced as well.

The 166s had a bit more of a tart up under Thames Trains, with new carpet throughout and a coat of paint to all the grab handles.

Not yet travelled on a newly refurbed set- though saw one at Slough working the Windsor shuttle the other day- you can't miss the pink door interiors!!

387star

On Moderation
They are ripping out the tables apparently which harks back to the ripping out of ex TPE 158 flip down tables...

TheWalrus

Established Member
They are ripping out the tables apparently which harks back to the ripping out of ex TPE 158 flip down tables...

What the full tables on the 166s? How ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!! <( Get First out! Get DB Regio (Chiltern) in!

387star

On Moderation
Hey just read it on the First Great Western coffee forum. This is regard the 165 not 166 and the mini side tables between facing seats
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
btw sent angry letter to FGW about the lack of flip down tables on 158s with the original seating... seems odd they are retained on the richmond seating and not on the original TPE style seating...

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
The seat back tables are being put back in, just rather slowly, a few sets have them fitted now.

387star

On Moderation
Are you sure... I realise the richmond sets have the seat back tables.... what do they look like? I'm being serious I'm really passionate about this. If what you say is right.. it's made my day. Any pictures? This is regard 158s not 165s?

TEW

Established Member
No pictures, just what I've seen. At least one of the three car 158s has seat back tables now in all the coaches, and its not 158952 with all Richmond seats. It's definitely original 158 seats that have been fitted. The plan is to retrofit all sets with them but it is hard to find the time to do it in the summer when unit requirements are higher, I imagine more will be done over the winter.

387star

On Moderation
Ah fair enough. Strange this comes a a couple of years after refurbishment...

Status
Not open for further replies.