• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 210 Driving Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'd argue it was more of a shame they didn't get the wires up (if only to Reading) and got 317s or similar instead.
I think part of the problem with GW replacement stock was the length of bay platforms 6 and 10 at Reading and to some extent the low level of demand at the intermediate stations. 117s continued for a whole 10 years after the 210s came on the scene.

Wires were clearly years away if they couldn't even justify replacement stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter107

For a couple of months in September and October 1985 I became something of a regular user of 210 001 when it was on the WR. At the time I was commuting 4 days a week from Twyford to Highbury & Islington via Paddington for a one-year (January to December) Postgrad course at the then Poly of North London. During the autumn one of my lectures (I think it was on a Friday) finished about half-an-hour earlier and so I found myself at PAD expecting to hang around for the first loco-hauled service of the peak hours at around 17.00. However I happened to notice that a stopper leaving at around 16.30 was formed of this unit so I decided to give it a go. I found it comfortable with a very nippy acceleration, indeed arrival at Twyford was on-time which was unusual in those days for a stopper! For a while I then became a regular weekly user of this service, I probably made about 6 trips on the unit during those weeks although I remember it was once subbed by a Class 119 DMMU. It's a real shame that BR didn't go ahead and order a fleet of 210s for Thames Valley services. (I also rode on 210 002 a couple of times at weekends.)
Yes. As a fan of the early 317s, version's have loved a fleet of diesel versions to have

Journeyman

Established Member
I hoped they were going to order 210s to replace the SR DEMUs, which seemed pretty tired to me even then, never imagined they would role on on the southern region well into the privatization era!

Fully agree - a version similar to the NIR 450 Class could easily have been feasible, with recycled traction equipment. The Hampshire and Oxted units were grim to travel on even then.

I think part of the problem with GW replacement stock was the length of bay platforms 6 and 10 at Reading and to some extent the low level of demand at the intermediate stations. 117s continued for a whole 10 years after the 210s came on the scene.

As someone used to the dense loadings of Southern commuter routes, I was always surprised by how deserted the lines out of Paddington seemed in comparison.

delt1c

Established Member
They would have been perfect for the Glasgow to Stranraer service where they could have run in Multiple with 318’s to Ayr the. Continued solo to Stranraer.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The 210 had Brush traction motors, did anything else comparable?
Mow that I’m surprised about. Given that they were 250 HP motors I’m surprised they weren’t the standard EE507 or the equivalent GEC motors as used in the 317/319/321/455 fleets

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well the 210s were only prototypes - you could make the same point about some of the first gen DMUs which outlasted the 140 and 151.
True, but still impressive how long the 205s lasted when their potential direct successor had such a short working life.

Irascible

Established Member

They did, not that many years later. I am a litlte surprised they didn't procure a bunch of 3-car 150s, but I think the Turbos were a better deal...

Can you imagine the track access charges for a bunch of 210s with all that weight over the outer bogie of the power unit, eek.

On Moderation
Mow that I’m surprised about. Given that they were 250 HP motors I’m surprised they weren’t the standard EE507 or the equivalent GEC motors as used in the 317/319/321/455 fleets
Probably part of BR's dual-sourcing policy of the time.

Class 321 have Brush traction motors.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They would have been perfect for the Glasgow to Stranraer service where they could have run in Multiple with 318’s to Ayr the. Continued solo to Stranraer.
Something like that, though not that route, was in BR's mind - they did originally intend they'd run them in multiple with a 317 and then split the DEMU off to run to somewhere off the 'leccy.

Only one power car had Brush traction motors, the other had GEC

In fact, Stranraer was named at one point in the discussion on the IMechE paper I mentioned upthread (I've located my copy of the discussion, though not the original paper). A.J. Goldfinch (author of the paper) said that:
Operation in multiple with EMU trains would be feasible wherever a service proceeds beyond the end of electrification, e.g. London St. Pancras to Bedford, where part of a train might go forward to Leicester, or Glasgow to Ayr where an extended service to Stranraer could be arranged. This feature could be most valuable during an electrification programme where the electrification limit was being extended from time to time. The alternative of building the prototypes as electro-diesel units was considered but would have made them particularly expensive if they were to achieve full performance in both modes; existing and proposed electro-diesel locomotives on BR have a much reduced performance in the diesel mode.
I've also seen Corby mentioned elsewhere in connection with the Bedford example.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Do we infer that £20,000 is just the cost of procuring a class 317 donor unit and transporting it to Smethwick?

BRCWCo

Alfonso

Have to admit I'm surprised that some mad-man (or woman) hasn't come up with a crackpot scheme to recreate the 210 using a soon-to-be scrapped Cl 317 or 455 as the base.......
Lack of capacity I'm afraid, all working flat out on the latest 442 proposals, no time to look at anything else at the moment.

Journeyman

Established Member
Lack of capacity I'm afraid, all working flat out on the latest 442 proposals, no time to look at anything else at the moment.
How's the project to create a super-train out of 442s, Pacers, HSTs and 483s coming along?

BRCWCo

Do we infer that £20,000 is just the cost of procuring a class 317 donor unit and transporting it to Smethwick?
Only 1 Class 317 vehicle and they aren't cheap. The rest are original 210 or 455 which we hope will be cheaper, but there will be some negotiation involved for those. There are some other parts which will hopefully turn up around the same time but Covid has complicated things a little at the moment.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Only 1 Class 317 vehicle and they aren't cheap. The rest are original 210 or 455 which we hope will be cheaper, but there will be some negotiation involved for those. There are some other parts which will hopefully turn up around the same time but Covid has complicated things a little at the moment.
You joined quickly; it's less than an hour since I steered you here! :D

Big question - the weight of the engine... the necessary strength of the vehicle structure...?

BRCWCo

You joined quickly; it's less than an hour since I steered you here! :D

Big question - the weight of the engine... the necessary strength of the vehicle structure...?
Can't hang around! I've got engineers to work all that stuff out, if the serving rail ones are strapped for time I've got a University department just down the road who could do the design and stress calculations faster than I could describe it to them.

Alfonso

How's the project to create a super-train out of 442s, Pacers, HSTs and 483s coming along?
We hit a snag when the renegade 210 recreationists started slicing our Valenta V12s in half to make Frankenstein's monster in-line 6s, but we've overcome bigger hurdles in the past and I'm sure we'll overcome this one too.

XAM2175

Established Member
Much as I'm interested in this, I'm not about to part with cash until I know they're credible.
Not crackpot and has been going for a couple of years now. The company facebook page is www.facebook.com/brcwco and the project page www.facebook.com/groups/class210demu or on twitter www.twitter.com/brcwco.
The impression your Twitter pages gives is of an organisation primarily dedicated to 1) bickering with opponents of HS2, and 2) promoting a blog run by somebody called Paul Bigland.

Journeyman

Established Member
We hit a snag when the renegade 210 recreationists started slicing our Valenta V12s in half to make Frankenstein's monster in-line 6s, but we've overcome bigger hurdles in the past and I'm sure we'll overcome this one too.
Glad to hear it! Where do I send the money?

BRCWCo

The impression your Twitter pages gives is of an organisation primarily dedicated to 1) bickering with opponents of HS2, and 2) promoting a blog run by somebody called Paul Bigland.
That's the trouble with everything effectively on hold due to covid or stuck under an embargo waiting for the word to go. No need to promote Paul's blog anymore as his twitter account has finally been sorted so he can get back to posting them himself.

BRCWCo

Much as I'm interested in this, I'm not about to part with cash until I know they're credible.
Don't blame you in the slightest.

Potentially, if you got it mainline approved, it could go pretty much anywhere.
Yes, it is potentially possible as it's a rework of a certified coach. But that's the easy bit, it's getting all the bits that make it legal and the work authorised and certified that's the hard bit.

I get that, but I was trying to picture the railtour potential, what sort of people would they appeal to...
Ones with very deep pockets as the track access charges would be pretty steep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.