• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
It will be interesting to see if Stadler will be in talks about this.

I've seen comments about Stadler, but I can't think of anything in their business model that lends me to think they'd be at all interested in taking on some small, long term maintenance contract for a few odd bodge job units reassembled out of 40 years old trains, that they'd never have built themselves. That is unless it is was a short term arrangement before a standard Stadler product was introduced, in this case Merseyrail/777 BEMUs getting to Wrexham.

craigybagel

Established Member
Interesting that the rather dubious post many of us questioned has now been deleted without further comment....
I've seen comments about Stadler, but I can't think of anything in their business model that lends me to think they'd be at all interested in taking on some small, long term maintenance contract for a few odd bodge job units reassembled out of 40 years old trains, that they'd never have built themselves. That is unless it is was a short term arrangement before a standard Stadler product was introduced, in this case Merseyrail/777 BEMUs getting to Wrexham.
As far as I know, Stadlers involvement comes from the fact they're responsible for Birkenhead North depot.

D365

Veteran Member
Yes referring to "mickey taking from industry player"
Being the first to introduce third rail fast charging and diesel-battery hybrids was always going to be a tough act, even more so for a start-up.

Razorblades

As far as I know, Stadlers involvement comes from the fact they're responsible for Birkenhead North depot.

Indeed. In a similar way to other manufacturers taking over depot responsibility along with the allocated/ local fleet(s) - Alstom at the likes of Longsight is a good case in point. Latterly, Siemens' responsibility for the Class 319s allocated to Northampton. These maintenance contracts come at a price, of course.

JetStream

so it Looks more likely the 197s will be used on the Borderlines instead of the class 230 units. Not that likely will be 23rd January.

My understanding is that the 197s will not be used on the Borderline at all due to gearing issues.

JetStream

Well considering the 2 service diagrams are booked for them from December, I find that minorly concerning.

Likewise. There's apparently further issues with the 230s and timings, which could potentially kick them back beyond January, but I've heard the 197s are simply not capable of running such a stop-start route.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Likewise. There's apparently further issues with the 230s and timings, which could potentially kick them back beyond January, but I've heard the 197s are simply not capable of running such a stop-start route.
I've not heard anything about the 197s having a problem with it, although we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Caaardiff

I've not heard anything about the 197s having a problem with it, although we'll just have to wait and see what happens!
It seems they have struggled to keep time.
Rumour is crew training has been postponed, not sure in the truth in this though.

This is not going well.

Would it not make more sense to stretch out the use of 150's on the line, get it electrified or third rail and hand it over to Merseyrail?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That is bizarre. They have the same driveline as the 195s, and Northern now use these on east Manchester and CLC stopping services, because their performance and capacity is ideally suited to these services - they, like the 172s - are designed for this sort of thing. They also, when not broken, seem to handle the Conwy Valley with ease - almost boringly so, with no loud engine noise or squealing.

Are the staff handling them with kid gloves compared with Northern's drivers who seem to just whack them into performance mode and use the full capability of the power and braking they offer? (Braking in particular - they seem mostly to be driven almost European-style - I was quite surprised by the speed at which they seem to approach the buffers at Windermere).

craigybagel

Established Member
That is bizarre. They have the same driveline as the 195s, and Northern now use these on east Manchester and CLC stopping services, because their performance and capacity is ideally suited to these services - they, like the 172s - are designed for this sort of thing. They also, when not broken, seem to handle the Conwy Valley with ease - almost boringly so, with no loud engine noise or squealing.

Are the staff handling them with kid gloves compared with Northern's drivers who seem to just whack them into performance mode and use the full capability of the power and braking they offer? (Braking in particular - they seem mostly to be driven almost European-style - I was quite surprised by the speed at which they seem to approach the buffers at Windermere).
Even in ECO mode they outperform anything in the existing TfW fleet, so I too am struggling to understand how this is happening.

sefyllian

What is the exact position regarding the use of the 230s in this current Vivarail administration scenario?

Not sure if this is new news, but “testing and training is now ‘on hold’ after the announcement from Vivarail” according to this BBC Wales article.

Extra rail services in north Wales on hold after firm goes bust

[...]

TfW, which is wholly owned by the Labour Welsh government, says it plans to bring the new Class 230 trains into service in 2023.

It added that it still has a "strong ambition" to deliver on its plans and will "work with all partners to expand the capacity of the line in the future".

It looks to introduce the twice-hourly service, it said, but testing and training is now "on hold" after the announcement from Vivarail.

"We'll be in a position to provide an updated statement in the coming days, but our focus remains to bring our Class 230 units into service on our network."

On behalf of administrators Grant Thornton, joint administrator, Jon Roden said while the company has been supporting Vivarail with sourcing investment opportunities, it has yet to find any solution in the limited time available.

"Whilst it has not been appropriate to continue to trade the Vivarail business in administration, we have presently retained a core team of around 30 employees and would urge any parties interested in the business and/or its assets to contact us urgently.

"Outside of these final discussions, our primary focus is to now work alongside Vivarail's customers and other key stakeholders with a view to enhancing the return to creditors under difficult circumstances."

EngFocus

Interesting that the rather dubious post many of us questioned has now been deleted without further comment....

It's complicated, the agreement for the stabling at Birkenhead North is between TfW and Stadler. But Stadler and Vivarail had been in communication about developing the rapid charging system.

When I spoke to Vivarail staff at last year's Rail Live they said a simulated run was done with a stop at Hawarden Bridge and the location for Deeside Parkway and the 230s was 4 minutes quicker than a 150. All the observations and times myself and others have done suggest 230s are much quicker than 150s, even climbing away from Shotton towards Hawarden.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Rumour is crew training has been postponed, not sure in the truth in this though.

This is not going well.

Would it not make more sense to stretch out the use of 150's on the line, get it electrified or third rail and hand it over to Merseyrail?
Are the 150s not needed in S Wales from the timetable change? Might there now be a risk of temporary bustitution on the Borderlands, as has already happened on the Marston Vale?

TheSel

Oh dear that is not good news at all. I hope they can get these 230s in ASAP.
They WILL get the 230s in ASAP.

In A Siding, And Purged.

Arrange the words 'Elephant' and 'White' to make a well known phrase.

Are the 150s not needed in S Wales from the timetable change? Might there now be a risk of temporary bustitution on the Borderlands, as has already happened on the Marston Vale?
Risk? Yes.

Likelihood, No.

It takes almost twice as long to serve the route end to end by replacement bus.

Quite simply, in the medium term, the alignment from Bidston to Shotton needs to be ripped up and converted to guided busway without further provarication. Every 15 (or even every 10) becomes a 'piece of p*ss - please forgive my forthright terminology.

Let the Welsh Govt pay for services South of Shotton, with an hourly DMU (good luck with that, more likely every 75 mins) ... with a single DMU.

One unit for the South, one for the North. What could constitute more 'levelling up' than that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.