• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 304 EMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
The EPB's had them as well at the start.
The GE outer suburban EMUs (classes 305, 307* & 308) all had 6-a-side non-corridor compartments in the motor cars from new - c.1960 untile they were either modified or scrapped.
* The pantograph and brake area on the original 1500VDC trains (before they were classified as class 307s) was moved to a DTS (making it a DTBS - so there were two fully 6-a-side cars leaving 18 x 12-seat compartments).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The GE outer suburban EMUs (classes 305, 307* & 308) all had 6-a-side non-corridor compartments in the motor cars from new - c.1960 untile they were either modified or scrapped.
* The pantograph and brake area on the original 1500VDC trains (before they were classified as class 307s) was moved to a DTS (making it a DTBS - so there were two fully 6-a-side cars leaving 18 x 12-seat compartments).

That is interesting - I haven't had as much experience of the AC slammers as I'd have liked (308's mainly).

The 308's even had 2 toilets to 3 carriages (which isn't that bad a ratio to a mk 4), so I'd have happily taken my chances on one to the Cross.

Taunton

Established Member
But fortunately the 308's didn't have any six aside compartments by the time they'd reached Yorkshire (infact they were vestibule throughout).
There was a very substantial refurbishing done on the GE outer suburban units in the early 1980s. They became very nice units, and even having doors at each seating bay was addressed by some extra draughtproofing. New seats, lighting, through gangways installed, etc, and all the old compartments were stripped out into open saloons.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There was a very substantial refurbishing done on the GE outer suburban units in the early 1980s. They became very nice units, and even having doors at each seating bay was addressed by some extra draughtproofing. New seats, lighting, through gangways installed, etc, and all the old compartments were stripped out into open saloons.

Well indeed, I'd spent enough time in thumpers, EPB's and HAP's to know that the 308's were a refurb (before one gets to the blue blaze moquette the CEP type seats being a giveaway).

The 308's access to the toilet was obviously a step up, but their comparatively hard seats and glaring formica surfaces weren't a patch on the EPB's, HAP's and thumpers I was used to.

Andy R. A.

Used to have many a ride on the 304s, was it true they were banned north of Preston?.

There was a morning Crewe to Preston EMU working just after Electrification that was extended to Lancaster during the Summer months, which returned empty to Preston for an afternoon working back to Crewe. Think it was worked by a 304 mostly ?

Crewe Exile

Seem to recall a report of a 304 reaching Carlisle as an extra, cant recall the date

Would have been fun over Shap!. I’m going back 30 years plus when I was told this by a driver I got speaking to at Stoke about various traction so I might well be wrong

Crewe Exile

There was a morning Crewe to Preston EMU working just after Electrification that was extended to Lancaster during the Summer months, which returned empty to Preston for an afternoon working back to Crewe. Think it was worked by a 304 mostly ?

Could’ve been, I’m not familiar with that working to be honest. I used to like the 304s. Always knew I was getting back to ‘home territory’ if seeing one after a day out chasing haulage somewhere!.

AY1975

Established Member
Enjoyed reading this thread about the good old Class 304s, I used to live next to the Altrincham line and travelled many times on the 304s and also the 303s which did used to get coupled together on odd occasions.

I didn't think the 303s and 304s could operate in multiple, as the former were sliding door and the latter were slam door. They may have been able to couple together, but I wouldn't have thought that they were mechanically compatible. I suppose they might have run coupled together on empty stock workings or if a 303 carrying passengers was used to "drag" an empty 304 or vice versa, though.

An AM4 did get to Carlisle at least once. It happened when for some reason the loco-hauled early morning Crewe - Carlisle wasn't available - I think due to bad weather. Sorry I cannot remember when this was but definitely remember reading about it. I expect there was lots of slipping climbing Shap.

John Prytherch.

Springs Branch

Established Member
An AM4 did get to Carlisle at least once. It happened when for some reason the loco-hauled early morning Crewe - Carlisle wasn't available - I think due to bad weather. Sorry I cannot remember when this was but definitely remember reading about it. I expect there was lots of slipping climbing Shap.
Martyn Hilbert's Flickr stream has a photo of 304 028 at Preston with the historic working to Carlisle, dated 25 January 1990. The caption gives some details about the circumstances.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynhilbert/33210380958

Interesting that BR included Carlisle on the units' destination rolls. I wonder which other destinations were available on the 304s which never got to be displayed in service?

Class 304 304028 - Preston.
by Martyn Hilbert, on Flickr

On Moderation
I didn't think the 303s and 304s could operate in multiple, as the former were sliding door and the latter were slam door. They may have been able to couple together, but I wouldn't have thought that they were mechanically compatible.
I assume you mean electrically compatible? If they can physically couple they are mechanically compatible.

Taunton

Established Member
… did get to Carlisle at least once..... I expect there was lots of slipping climbing Shap.
Why should that be? They zoomed up Bethnal Green bank out of Liverpool Street all their lives with never an issue, crush loaded in the peaks.

6Gman

Established Member

Travelled on the last one. From memory it also meandered over the top from Winwick Jn (route retention?).

AY1975

Established Member
I assume you mean electrically compatible? If they can physically couple they are mechanically compatible.

Thanks for pointing that out - I did indeed mean electrically compatible. I wouldn't have thought that the 303s and 304s were electrically compatible.

Taunton

Established Member
Travelled on the last one. From memory it also meandered over the top from Winwick Jn (route retention?).
It also went round through Earlestown/Newton-le-Willows, and called there. This always seemed a lot of extra wiring that for 40 years was never meaningfully used.

shinymac

Hi

Am new here. Does anyone know of a group that is dedicated to the Class 304 EMU ?

I have a friend who actually drove one from Crewe to CARLISLE ! He thought they might be interested in his story and how it came about ?

Cheers
Derek

Established Member
Control relief after a big storm, 304028 by chance? There’s definitely a thread on here if you can find it for “dinos”

if not launch story here, I’ll read it at least!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi

Am new here. Does anyone know of a group that is dedicated to the Class 304 EMU ?

I have a friend who actually drove one from Crewe to CARLISLE ! He thought they might be interested in his story and how it came about ?

Cheers
Derek
Welcome Derek!

Not sure ref 304s specifically - hopefully someone will know however
Maybe some options here?:
http://www.emus.co.uk/links.htm
There is/was an AC EMU group but not sure if it still functions - listed here, but link failed
https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/link.php

But anyway maybe post the story here - it sounds interesting and worth a read!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Control relief after a big storm, 304028 by chance? There’s definitely a thread on here if you can find it for “dinos”

if not launch story here, I’ll read it at least!

Here is a flickr photo of said event (not mine).

With the station clock at 22.37, a three-car Class 304 EMU, 304028 was stood in Platform 3 at Preston with a Crewe to Carlisle relief service on January 25th 1990. The North West side of the UK was being affected by 'The Burns Night Storm', which brought high winds, causing severe disruption to Anglo-Scottish WCML services and the 304 was providing a late night service to Carlisle. Earlier that evening, Preston station had been temporarily evacuated due to glass falling from the overall roof onto the tracks and platforms below.

Class 304's were never common visitors to Preston.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Ash Bridge

Established Member
And I'm yet another who's keen to read this. The 304s are amongst the first trains (possibly very 1st) that I ever rode.

shinymac

Welcome Derek!

Not sure ref 304s specifically - hopefully someone will know however
Maybe some options here?:
http://www.emus.co.uk/links.htm
There is/was an AC EMU group but not sure if it still functions - listed here, but link failed
https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/link.php

But anyway maybe post the story here - it sounds interesting and worth a read!

Hi WesternLancer
Thanks for the link and reply.
Its really up to Les...my retired train driver friend to tell his story but at 82 he has difficulty typing and using a PC, but I will see if I can ask him. Its the only time I know of, that a 304 EMU worked into Carlisle with passengers on...and 2 passengers back to Crewe non stop too !

Thanks
Derek

shinymac

Here is a flickr photo of said event (not mine).

Hi Mag seven

OMG thats the guy ! My mate, now retired Crewe driver Les Jackson !! Amazing that someone was there to record the occasion, and more amazing that I can see Les sitting at the controls. I have immediately phoned him (he is 82 now) at home and have emailed him the photo. He is blown away that someone had recorded the event, and it brings back so many memories for him.

Thanks for the link to Martyns photo and I will now message him too.

Cheers

Derek

Established Member
304028 was also one of the very last to work south of Northampton in passenger service - a control relief through to Bletchley April 1990 again in reaction to some fiasco. It was then to add routed through the yard at Bletchley to access Platform 5 for a set swap onto a 321 forward.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi WesternLancer
Thanks for the link and reply.
Its really up to Les...my retired train driver friend to tell his story but at 82 he has difficulty typing and using a PC, but I will see if I can ask him. Its the only time I know of, that a 304 EMU worked into Carlisle with passengers on...and 2 passengers back to Crewe non stop too !

Thanks
Derek
Great when the web comes up trumps ref that picture being your mate!

Obv the only solution to this typiing issue dilemma is for you to sit down whilst Les has a tipple of his choice, tells you the story and you type it up for us to read and enjoy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.