• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC318250

314s used to work 1735 Glasgow Central to Ardrossan Town when the 314s moved across to Central high level

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Have they added more capacity on to the Edinburgh via Cumbernauld route for the 314 farewell as I just saw a 6 car 385 heading past Gartcosh and we tend to get no more than a 4 car really.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just saw the last 314s heading back from Cumbernauld. It was nice to see Carmine and Cream on the line for a change. They look very tidy. Glad I saw them.

InOban

Established Member
Have they added more capacity on to the Edinburgh via Cumbernauld route for the 314 farewell as I just saw a 6 car 385 heading past Gartcosh and we tend to get no more than a 4 car really.
They announced that certain peak via Cumbernauld trains would be 6 car in the new timetable. Maybe they don't bother splitting in the middle of the day.

NorthClyde320

Prior to the Dec timetable change the 09.30ish dep from Springburn to Edinburgh was a 6 car when I got it on a number of occasions, when it was cancelled a few times it said it was because it was late leaving the depot.

GLC

Well that’s the 314s finished then. 205 was indeed tidied up for the tour, and had a quick paint job to hide the worst of the graffiti it had. I had a nice time, and let’s hope Scotrail raised lots of money for MND!

youngac

The 314s served Glasgow and Strathclyde diligently and without fuss for 40 years. It was lovely to see them given a suitable farewell, especially with funds going towards a great cause.

Peter0124

Established Member
Here's a basic video of the tour. Shortened down to 6 minutes.
Overall it was an excellent experience. Class 314 no more :(

Jamesrob637

Established Member

What was that song with the funny bit about when the ticket man came? I couldn't understand every word but I could tell it was amusing

Strathclyder

Established Member
Fully agreed. Did all three legs myself and donated as much as I was able to such a worthy cause. Props to all involved at ScotRail in organizing this fantastic send-off for this oft-overlooked, but hardy breed of EMU.

Peter0124

Established Member
What was that song with the funny bit about when the ticket man came? I couldn't understand every word but I could tell it was amusing
They played Billy Connolly - Last Train to Glasgow Central over the tannoy as it was the last class 314 passenger service and it was also on Scotrail's Twitter

prod_pep

Established Member
A thoroughly enjoyable day with big thanks to all concerned at ScotRail. Thought the staff were different class throughout. My only suggestion for improvement would have been longer loo breaks: I think it's fair to say a few bladders were suffering by the time Helensburgh was reached!

I really liked the fact the tour mixed places the 314s haven't been in years with one completely new destination rather than their regular haunts.

A great day but I'll miss the old 314s a lot. I maintain that, stick in high back seats and a PIS and they're much better trains than the 318s and 320s.

SC318250

well done to all involved.

anyone confirm what date 314214 moved to Yoker CS please

many thanks

gka472l

A thoroughly enjoyable day with big thanks to all concerned at ScotRail. Thought the staff were different class throughout. My only suggestion for improvement would have been longer loo breaks: I think it's fair to say a few bladders were suffering by the time Helensburgh was reached!

I really liked the fact the tour mixed places the 314s haven't been in years with one completely new destination rather than their regular haunts.

A great day but I'll miss the old 314s a lot. I maintain that, stick in high back seats and a PIS and they're much better trains than the 318s and 320s.

Indeed, you only have to look at the 507/8's here in Merseyside to see what can be done....as an aside, Merseyside now is the place with the most PEP unit's in service, although not too long left. Glad I managed to get up to Glasgow a few weeks ago for a last trip on the 314's

Fleetwood Boy

I agree - somehow 318s and 320s just aren't as suited. An updated version of the 314, rather than shedloads of 320s and new 385s would be far more suited to the Glasgow suburban network, and of course that's never what the 318s were intended for. My "Class 384” would be a 5-car set based on the 385 for standardisation purposes, but with a class 700 type layout - lots of room for standing in the peaks, seats for most at other times, and 5 x 23m would actually fit all the existing infrastructure. You'd lose a pair of cabs compared to a 6-car 20m combination, so probably no real loss of capacity.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Was a great day out . Wasn't as busy as i was expecting but might be due to it being a weekday and the LNER tour on the day. Yes, good to get a 314 to places like Carstairs which ive never been .

New of bit track at Rutherglen that links to the Argyle line was a bonus. Did 314s work to Helensburgh?

Yeah , longer toilet breaks was the only gripe.

route101

Established Member
Objectively speaking, is there any significant reason to justify a 314 to be preserved?

I thought for EMUs that it would nice to keep one in running order for special events . EMUs dragged by a diesel is not quite right .

prod_pep

Established Member
New of bit track at Rutherglen that links to the Argyle line was a bonus. Did 314s work to Helensburgh?

They did often serve Helensburgh in their early years. It would have stopped when they were cascaded in the late 1990s to Southside routes and probably was a lot rarer once the 320s were introduced.

Stan63

I was stuck on a 314 around Shields Depot for 2 1/2 hours when the power lines were brought down in central over a year ago. It was a cold morning so the lack of a loo posed a big problem for a few people that morning. It definitely wasn't the best start to a working day that i've had.

Stan

Bikeman78

Established Member
Was a great day out . Wasn't as busy as i was expecting but might be due to it being a weekday and the LNER tour on the day. Yes, good to get a 314 to places like Carstairs which ive never been .

Yeah , longer toilet breaks was the only gripe.
Has a 314 been to Carstairs before? I've had 303s there so it seems likely that a 314 made it when they worked on the Argyle Line.

prod_pep

Established Member
Has a 314 been to Carstairs before? I've had 303s there so it seems likely that a 314 made it when they worked on the Argyle Line.

I'm fairly certain they had been to Carstairs before, yes. The 314s have done pretty much the entire Strathclyde electrified network now, although Drumgelloch is the furthest east they have been on the North Clyde to my knowledge.

GLC

6694151883_e0ab637935.jpg

According to the comment, https://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/6694151883/ this photo was (maybe) taken near Carstairs during testing. Already with a marker light out though :lol:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'm fairly certain they had been to Carstairs before, yes. The 314s have done pretty much the entire Strathclyde electrified network now, although Drumgelloch is the furthest east they have been on the North Clyde to my knowledge.
Yes they have even made it to Larkhall and done the recently electrified route to Whifflet via Carmyle. I was a bit gutted that they didn't do anything unusual during the week long Rutherglen block in July 2018. The Newton trains were extended to Larkhall or Motherwell via Hamilton but they were all 3218s or 320s.

prod_pep

Established Member
Yes they have even made it to Larkhall and done the recently electrified route to Whifflet via Carmyle. I was a bit gutted that they didn't do anything unusual during the week long Rutherglen block in July 2018. The Newton trains were extended to Larkhall or Motherwell via Hamilton but they were all 3218s or 320s.

Yes, same here! I went up to Glasgow during that blockade in the hopes of getting one to Larkhall as I missed out during the previous blocks, but it wasn't to be. There was a Sunday morning one-way run to Motherwell semi-fast via Kings Park during the 2018 blockade though; I remember having 314209 on that.

alangla

Got to be a certainty. They worked Lanarks for years and the Argyle line still serves Carstairs to this day. I’ll be amazed if they haven’t.

snookertam

Did they do any Lanarks more recently when there was engineering work?

They did Lanarks on occasion filling in for 318/320s when those services originally were changed to operate from Central High Level. Would sometimes work there due to failures or wider disruption. As Glasgow Central and Motherwell Link 2 drivers both signed the units, there was no issue with traction knowledge. Although not the greatest on a route of that distance they were better than no train at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.