• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
scrap path for 315858 and 814 in the system for monday to newport docks from ilford dep 1019. both now officially stood down from this weekend.

315805 still being repaired, but plan to re-enter service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil Scott

Is 315813 still stored at Wolverton or has it been sent for scrap? If so, when/where did it move? Thanks

iphone76

The call for aid function is being reinstated in the 315s very soon so they will definitely not be going anywhere in a hurry. Should all be completed by mid-December. Located in the wheelchair area in one carriage.

loco currently heading round to ilford for todays scrap move to newport:( hope to catch the return working! 1019 ex ilford.

hwl

Established Member
Slightly more general question given 710 and Crossrail delays what's the general strategy around retaining 315s (and 317s on LO) and the order in which stuff goes (now that the long term "problem" units have gone).
LO: is the strategy to hope they have enough 710s delivered quicker than the rate C4s are needed or is there a preference to seeing the 317s go first due to performance/time keeping issues.
Crossrail: Is the strategy still to retain enough 315 (presumably some needing C4s) to enable the phased opening, LST platform works and cover for 7 to 9car 345 lengthening.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Slightly more general question given 710 and Crossrail delays what's the general strategy around retaining 315s (and 317s on LO) and the order in which stuff goes (now that the long term "problem" units have gone).
LO: is the strategy to hope they have enough 710s delivered quicker than the rate C4s are needed or is there a preference to seeing the 317s go first due to performance/time keeping issues.
Crossrail: Is the strategy still to retain enough 315 (presumably some needing C4s) to enable the phased opening, LST platform works and cover for 7 to 9car 345 lengthening.
Well the TFL Rail 315's now only have booked weekday diagrams which must means they will be soon taken off the Shenfields soon and the plan is for some to go over to London Overground to replace some of their 315's and the 317/8's as they would require unnecessary overhauls as they haven't got very long left in service.

Ladder23

Established Member
So far all the warm runs from Northampton have been cancelled, any idea why?

prod_pep

Established Member
Well the TFL Rail 315's now only have booked weekday diagrams which must means they will be soon taken off the Shenfields soon and the plan is for some to go over to London Overground to replace some of their 315's and the 317/8's as they would require unnecessary overhauls as they haven't got very long left in service.

There are 22 left with TfL Rail and these are reportedly staying for a good while longer, hence the move to reinstate the 'call for aid' buttons.

AIUI, of the 10 recent 315 withdrawals from TfL Rail, 7 are for Overground as replacements for time-expired units (hence temporary storage at Northampton) and the other 3 have been scrapped.

LO were planning to retain at least one 315 for the Upminster branch and were considering keeping more beyond the 710s' introduction. I'm not sure if that is still the intention.

Antman

Established Member
That’s the latest doomed pair of 315s now off to Newport. Should be one of the usual 37s hauling them
57 301 as it passed Reading.

37 800 took a very washed out looking 319 the other way later as well.

There are 22 left with TfL Rail and these are reportedly staying for a good while longer, hence the move to reinstate the 'call for aid' buttons.

AIUI, of the 10 recent 315 withdrawals from TfL Rail, 7 are for Overground as replacements for time-expired units (hence temporary storage at Northampton) and the other 3 have been scrapped.

LO were planning to retain at least one 315 for the Upminster branch and were considering keeping more beyond the 710s' introduction. I'm not sure if that is still the intention.

this is spot on. TfL rail units heading to LO to cover for C4 expired units. mixture of units heading to scrap of TfL transferred and LO units dependent upon miles. expect to see both fleets i operating well into 2020 LO / 2021 TfL rail.

Last edited:
Are you sure? as an example 0400 5Q22 Northampton TC to Ilford EMUD ran today, was that not a warm run?
this was to return the first two ex TfL units into service with LO at Ilford, now 315858 and 814 have departed. into service imminently! 315822 and 827.

Ladder23

Established Member
Are you sure? as an example 0400 5Q22 Northampton TC to Ilford EMUD ran today, was that not a warm run?

Not that I am aware mate. I see there was 3 scheduled from Northampton via Bletchley and back, all cancelled.

prod_pep

Established Member
this is spot on. TfL rail units heading to LO to cover for C4 expired units. mixture of units heading to scrap of TfL transferred and LO units dependent upon miles. expect to see both fleets i operating well into 2020 LO / 2021 TfL rail.

Many thanks. Excellent news in my opinion.

great news in my opinion - and Hansons / DCR have delivered so far from my understanding! perhaps a game changer in the market has appeared!

another company (DCR) diversifying in the movement of rolling stock at a high level of success and delivered at a more reasonable price than the other two businesses on the market which seem to believe they are untouchable. well done DCR / Hansons. anyway back to topic :) (sorry for deviation!)

Steve Newman

Hansons are moving them for tfL London Overground and Arriva - due to the delayed 710 program. the units moved will re-enter traffic shortly when 858, 814 and the others run out of C4 miles. They are branded with Overground roundels.

Scrap move for 858 and 814 is planned and will move ahead of November 19th, so only a few more days in traffic. Beware!
315822 and 315827 were noted on LO services on Friday 22nd, so it does look like 814 & 858 are no longer in use. I last saw 814 on 5th November and 858 on the 3rd September. I believe the scheduled move of 814+858 for scrap was cancelled, can anyone confirm please?

Status
Not open for further replies.