• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

bramling

Veteran Member
A bit off topic I know but I saw a surviving 317 in the depot adjacent to platform 8 at Cambridge with lights off and no sign of life. Every couple of minutes the engine fires up and makes a loud 317 rattling noise for 10s or so before going off. What is that noise? Why is the train still doing things when it appears off and has no driver? Always wondered! Thanks.

Sounds like the compressor, which will kick in when the main reservoir falls below a certain level. If it's coming on regularly when the train isn't doing anything then there's probably air leaking away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A bit off topic I know but I saw a surviving 317 in the depot adjacent to platform 8 at Cambridge with lights off and no sign of life. Every couple of minutes the engine fires up and makes a loud 317 rattling noise for 10s or so before going off. What is that noise? Why is the train still doing things when it appears off and has no driver? Always wondered! Thanks.

The rattling noise is the air compressor for the braking system. Even on a stabled unit it goes off now and then to keep the air pressure built up.

Class360/1

What other forum members have said, it’s the compressor- the 321’s do the same

Established Member
The East Anglia Railway Museum have announced on Facebook that they are adding DTSO 77092 from 317345 to their collection at Chappel & Wakes Colne.

D365

Veteran Member
The East Anglia Railway Museum have announced on Facebook that they are adding DTSO 77092 from 317345 to their collection at Chappel & Wakes Colne.
Fantastic! I assume they’re taking an ex-FCC unit as it’s closest to original spec.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Good news.

317347 is running again after a long holiday at Ilford so back up to 23 active units.

Fantastic! I assume they’re taking an ex-FCC unit as it’s closest to original spec.
10 of the 12 FCC units have had the PRM mods; 317345/346 did not have them. The only obvious difference in the driving trailers is different buttons for the doors.

Established Member
Good news.

317347 is running again after a long holiday at Ilford so back up to 23 active units.

10 of the 12 FCC units have had the PRM mods; 317345/346 did not have them. The only obvious difference in the driving trailers is different buttons for the doors.

Do you know which 4 out of the PRM 27 are currently stood down?

Another consideration for choosing an ex-FCC unit is that all (bar one end of 341 if memory serves!) have the original headlights.

O L Leigh

Established Member

Is that a DTOS(A) or (B)? Reason I ask is that, if my memory is correct, FCC reduced the length of the bench seats in the (A) in order to insert an additional bay of seats. In this regard it is not original specification. I’m also wondering if that was a Papworth unit, as I did notice a Cl317 driving trailer sitting out on it’s own away from the other units last week.

I just hope the boys and girls down at Chappel & Wakes Colne take better care of this than they did with the Cl306.

Established Member
Is that a DTOS(A) or (B)? Reason I ask is that, if my memory is correct, FCC reduced the length of the bench seats in the (A) in order to insert an additional bay of seats. In this regard it is not original specification. I’m also wondering if that was a Papworth unit, as I did notice a Cl317 driving trailer sitting out on it’s own away from the other units last week.

I just hope the boys and girls down at Chappel & Wakes Colne take better care of this than they did with the Cl306.

Yes, it's a Papworth unit. And you're right about the shorter bench seats on the ex-FCC units, I had wondered where that difference originated from!

I seem to remember that 317345 was actually the last near-original 317 (i.e non-PRM) in service, so it's an appropriate choice in that respect as well.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Do you know which 4 out of the PRM 27 are currently stood down?

Another consideration for choosing an ex-FCC unit is that all (bar one end of 341 if memory serves!) have the original headlights.
317339/340/510 are at Harwich. Not seen or heard of 317883 for weeks but no mention of it moving to Harwich.

Ciderking

Motor Standard Open (MSO) 62682 from demonstrator emu 317722 has been set aside while the rest has been scrapped at Eastleigh Works. Anyone know the reason for this ?

43102EMR

Established Member
Motor Standard Open (MSO) 62682 from demonstrator emu 317722 has been set aside while the rest has been scrapped at Eastleigh Works. Anyone know the reason for this ?

From the looks of things it could be being stripped for spares?

fgwrich

Established Member

For further stripping - a lot of those valuable AC components aren't easy to remove unless the vehicle is up in the air or removed from it's bogies. The rest of the unit has been scrapped though.

Richard Scott

Established Member
On the look out for 317885, is it still in service? If so could someone tell me what it's doing today, if anything? Thanks.

St. Paddy

Following up on 77092 being preserved, 62705 and 77044 from 317345 have been sent for scrap at Sims Metals, Peterborough according to the latest Today’s Railways UK

Roger B

Following up on 77092 being preserved, 62705 and 77044 from 317345 have been sent for scrap at Sims Metals, Peterborough according to the latest Today’s Railways UK
Thanks St Paddy. Any news on the other car - 71621? Cheers

O L Leigh

Established Member
Reported on the wnxx forum as having been taken to 'The Depot, Caxton'.

Seems to be an industrial address on the A1198 just south of the village of Caxton in Cambridgeshire. Not sure what they want with it there as there seems to be no businesses with any interest in the railways or metal reprocessing there. Maybe it's just for storage pending a move elsewhere.

47584Suffolk

Seems to be an industrial address on the A1198 just south of the village of Caxton in Cambridgeshire. Not sure what they want with it there as there seems to be no businesses with any interest in the railways or metal reprocessing there. Maybe it's just for storage pending a move elsewhere.

Believed to be on the site of the former Old North Road station at Longstowe, this being on the Cambridge to Oxford line which closed in 1968. The station building and signal box survive, while track has been (re)laid there and a Mark 1 is in residence. Viewable on Google Maps Street View, over bridge parapet where crossed by A1198.