• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319's into storage/withdrawals tracker

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Theoretically if only those four were available you could have three 319 diagrams and double up 172s on the other three. Better than nothing, and at least all services would be four car. I doubt it would happen in practice, though.

If nothing else doubled up 172s would be 4x23m long, which I doubt the platforms will accommodate even when they've finished extending them.

Think it is only 3 , 214 451, and 452?

Correct as in three, 214, 451 and 453 - the latter pair both still in FCC livery.

452 could well have been the last through Wolverton for C6, etc to emerge in TSGN colours.

Supercoss

427 is a Brush workshops in Loughborough (by road from Wolverton Works) for initial conversion to Flex dual power mode

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They went into Long Marston by rail dragged by Rail Operations Group.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I suspect LM don't want them, probably in part due the problems they've had with the few they've already taken.

I'd expect Northern to be asked to part with their 323s to go to the West Mids - I have a feeling some of the West Mids platforms aren't long enough for 8 car units, so 319s wouldn't be the answer, whereas more 323s would be.

And didn't I read somewhere that Mk3 EMUs aren't cleared north of Rugby towards Birmingham now? So further 319s would be very limited in terms of what they can / can't do.

And I expect LM have got their eyes on the 350/4s which are coming available - thereby giving them a standard 323, 350 EMU fleet.

Regarding the part I have bolded, I remember the Network SouthEast London Euston - Birmingham New Street via Northampton being operated by Class 317s in the late 1980s.

Is this just simply a case of signing on the dotted line to officially clear Mk III EMUs north of Rugby (if it was never done)?

Deepgreen

Established Member
I happened to see a single 319 (white with blue doors - too far away to identify) running on the up Victoria fast at Clapham Junction to take the junction to Stewarts Lane at Pouparts. A training run, I assume.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Regarding the part I have bolded, I remember the Network SouthEast London Euston - Birmingham New Street via Northampton being operated by Class 317s in the late 1980s.

Is this just simply a case of signing on the dotted line to officially clear Mk III EMUs north of Rugby (if it was never done)?

When did that cease may I ask?

Class377/5

Established Member
I happened to see a single 319 (white with blue doors - too far away to identify) running on the up Victoria fast at Clapham Junction to take the junction to Stewarts Lane at Pouparts. A training run, I assume.

Yes. There's a 319 being used between the peaks for Pouparts training. Quite a few overnight 700 trips are also being directed that way.

furnessvale

Established Member
Diabolical isnt it?! Finally a chance for more carriages and there is no space to put them......paying the price for selling off railway land.

New cross gate sidings should never have been bulldozed 20 years ago.

If they have the room to run the trains in service, they can keep them moving off peak by intensifying the service if they have no sidings for them.

I understand certain US railroads run empty trains of doublestack cars round the system because they have nowhere to stable them when not required.

Sounds daft, but there you are!

Class377/5

Established Member
If they have the room to run the trains in service, they can keep them moving off peak by intensifying the service if they have no sidings for them.

I understand certain US railroads run empty trains of doublestack cars round the system because they have nowhere to stable them when not required.

Sounds daft, but there you are!

I'm told during the commissioning of the 377s, 12 car test trips were kept going all night due to nowhere to berth them!

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Apparently Poterbrook Rail is in talks with GWR about using 319's on routes that will be partially electrified according to the latest issue of RAIL so maybe they will go to Great Western Railway after all ;)

D365

Veteran Member
Apparently Poterbrook Rail is in talks with GWR about using 319's on routes that will be partially electrified according to the latest issue of RAIL so maybe they will go to Great Western Railway after all ;)

There was talk that the Class 230s would be 'going to GWR', did that end up happening?

In any case, there are threads specifically for the discussion of the Class 319 diesel conversion.

Class455

Established Member
319 454, still in FCC livery, no longer has Thameslink logos, so I would expecting this to be the next unit to leave. Saw it twice today at Elephant and Castle and at Purley heading for Brighton!

westcoaster

Established Member
319 454, still in FCC livery, no longer has Thameslink logos, so I would expecting this to be the next unit to leave. Saw it twice today at Elephant and Castle and at Purley heading for Brighton!

Been like that since the weekend, 372 and 1 other 319/4 have also been de branded. So might be there last week in use. I would expect Cricklewood finishes for them today, but after yesterday's shut down who knows where they ended up.

Class455

Established Member
Expect 319 215 to be off soon. Just seen it at Wimbledon devoid of any TL logos. Brought a tear to my eye as well as that was one of my favourites. 319 217 also has Thameslink logos removed, as it was with 319 215 at Wimbledon. I would think these two could be the next departure, as they were both together today.
Only 319 220 is left out of the 319/2's. Sad to see these be the first sub class to be all gone. They're the only 319's with decent seats! Hopefully Southern can take some...

Last edited:

traji00

Further to the above, approximately how many 319's are there still in FCC livery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Class455

Established Member
Don't suppose there is a list of which 319s are now withdrawn from service?
This is what this threads supposed to be about, but if you want I can happily amend the first post to list all the units that have been sent to storage so far?

Class455

Established Member
Have all the 319's had their branding removed? I've just boarded 319 459 and 319 432 and both units also have had their logos removed! This pair must be off soon unless all 319's no longer have branding.

Last edited:

Triumph

Further to the above, approximately how many 319's are there still in FCC livery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one! 319454 which is in a poor old state. Its in Cauldwell at the moment. Was working with 001 this morning.

Crossforth

Established Member
This is what this threads supposed to be about, but if you want I can happily amend the first post to list all the units that have been sent to storage so far?

It would be wonderful if you could and I would be very grateful :)