• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 325 Scrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day,

According to the latest edition of Railway Magazine 325010 has been stripped for spares and sent for scrapping. Surely the railway industry should be looking to increase its share of parcel / mail traffic and not get rid of its assets?

Your thoughts would be very welcome!

Richmond Commuter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The unit has been OOU and raided for spares for some years so it's unlikely that it would ever have been returned to traffic anyway.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Also, given that the unit belonged to the Royal Mail, there was little the 'rail industry' (whoever that may be) could do about it. The unit hadn't run for at least 8 years.

fgwrich

Established Member
What im also wondering though, is what condition the bodyshells may have been in - Remember, they are Mk3 bodyshell based EMUs, and one or two SWT 455s could now do with a coach or two?...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Aren't they fitted with Cl319 derived traction equipment?

Surely with the Thameslink programme now proceeding apace it would not have been unreasonable to hold it till those withdrawals start and then sacrifice one Cl319 to fix it up, with the remaining parts from that unit being used on the others.

Schnellzug

Established Member
ys, i think it says it all about Ed Burkhardt's success in revitalising the rail freight industry, doesn't it, and makes you grateful that Freightliner was spun off as a seperate company and the market really was liberalised, unlike the passenger sector. Where is Ed now? Spreading his magic in Poland, last I heard, I believe.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Surely with the Thameslink programme now proceeding apace it would not have been unreasonable to hold it till those withdrawals start and then sacrifice one Cl319 to fix it up, with the remaining parts from that unit being used on the others.

Sacrifice a 319 to keep a 325 in health?

Surely 319s are in much more need (and aren't going to be scrapped any time soon)?

westcoaster

Established Member
A 325 is a cl319 body and gubbings, with a networker cab, as an aside when was the last time they went south of the river into DC world.

NXEA!

325010 had been out of traffic for a long time and had been robbed of a lot of parts to keep other sets going. Apparently it had been stopped as it needed a replacement wheelset, but at the time as only 7 sets were needed due to the downturn in traffic, repair could not be justified. Over time it gave up it's good wheelsets to other class members, and donated its motor vehicle to 325009 after it suffered what I think was a very serious traction motor failure, so by this time it was in a very bad state, and to be honest was only fit for scrap. As for the similarities in traction motors with 319's, apparently 325's are fitted with GEC G315BY's which are rated higher than the 319's GEC G315BZ's, make of that what you will.

RobShipway

Established Member
Sacrifice a 319 to keep a 325 in health?

Surely 319s are in much more need (and aren't going to be scrapped any time soon)?

There was talk of the Class 319's going to either Liverpool to replace the 507/508's or coming to the Greater Western when it is electrified to replace 165/166 so that these can then be moved to other duties.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread. It seeems a shame that the 325 cannot be rebuilt in some way to be a passenger train and used?

With regards, to using a class 319 to rebuild the class 325 I think this is doubtful as when the new Siemens Desiro Thameslink trains have started, the Class 319's are likely to be moving on as I have stated above.

GNERman

Established Member
Is there still one dumped at Doncaster, minus its pantograph? Didn't look last time I was passing...

ukrob

Established Member
There was talk of the Class 319's going to either Liverpool to replace the 507/508's

There has never been talk of that.

There IS talk of them running in the north west after electrification.

NSEFAN

Established Member
ukrob said:
There has never been talk of that.

There IS talk of them running in the north west after electrification.

Would 319s even fit in those Merseyside tunnels? :lol:

507 001

Established Member
Would 319s even fit in those Merseyside tunnels? :lol:

I doubt they would fit through the Merseyrail tunnels, but they'll definitely fit where they are intending to use them, i.e. the Liverpool-Manchester line.

Established Member
Its currently stored at Crewe IEMD. I read on wnxx that it will make a return at some point in the future.
I have a very faint recollection of it being carted off there from Willesden but can't say exactly when - sometime around Christmas 2009 or 2010 ISTR.

I think that was 325010 AFAIK.
Definitely 325 010.

John55

Just out of interest why were the Merseyrail tunnels not constructed to except wider trains?

I think it is only the loop which is a real issue due to the curvature as the 502s fitted the link tunnels ok and they were rather big.

BR built the tunnels to minimise cost against the wishes of everyone else involved in the project (except the treasury).

sburnley

Originally Posted by sprinterguy
I think that was 325010 AFAIK.
Definitely 325 010.

Can you see 325 010 from any publically accessible spot - like the station for example - or is it hidden in the depths of the works?

bluenoxid

Established Member
If you read the OP it has been sent for scrapping.

Storing a unit will cost RM money if they are the owners of the unit and they will be looking to get rid of surplus assets as the government prepares this prize pig for the slaughter ( sorry privatisation)

Skimble19

Established Member
Considering they were supposedly designed to be easily converted into pax units this all seems a big waste (according to RAIL!). As for Royal Mail - putting prices up then not bothering with deliveries.. Such wonderful service.

sburnley

If you read the OP it has been sent for scrapping.

Yes but posts 14 & 16 suggested that it might possibly still be physically at Doncaster - perhaps en route (albeit slowly) to its final destination.

The reason I asked was that I have taken quite a lot of video at the station - from both ends - and I have not captured or even noticed a 325 from there myself. So I was wondering where it might have been and how I could have missed it. It seems that the answer is that it wasn't there!

DXMachina

Considering they were supposedly designed to be easily converted into pax units this all seems a big waste (according to RAIL!). As for Royal Mail - putting prices up then not bothering with deliveries.. Such wonderful service.

If thats even true (which I doubt) they would have been designed to convert into passenger units in keeping with 1990s H&S rules and accepted designs

No way they'd be compliant with current regulations, which as 'new' stock, they would be required to adhere to

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The reason I asked was that I have taken quite a lot of video at the station - from both ends - and I have not captured or even noticed a 325 from there myself. So I was wondering where it might have been and how I could have missed it. It seems that the answer is that it wasn't there!

No it was there but it was in one of the yards to the south of Doncaster station that can't actually be seen from the station it self.

Boothby97

Established Member
It was in the Wood Yard, south of the station. I saw it a few times, it was visible from passing trains bound for Kings Cross.
Thanks, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.