• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Interesting that the Northern line interchange is already showing at Liverpool Street prior to the opening of the crossrail station - presumably that means all the other stations are already programmed into the units as well?

I'd have to experience it in person, I know the font on the PIS is probably the standard issue Johnston typeface, but it looks a little, I dunno, simplistic? The two gradients of blue background and thin text rather than plain white and bold text makes the 700 PIS display look a bit more professional, though here's hoping the 345 PIS will be more reliable, which is what really matters! The change for relevant tube lines bit is very valuable for when the units run into the tunnels, so I'm glad to see some effort has been put in there.

ijmad

Established Member
Interesting that the Northern line interchange is already showing at Liverpool Street prior to the opening of the crossrail station - presumably that means all the other stations are already programmed into the units as well?

That's quite a good point. Presumably the trains bound for Liverpool Street high level shouldn't show the Northern Line interchange (and there will be 4tph that terminal there when Crossrail hits full service levels), but the ones bound for the Crossrail tunnel should! Given this one was bound for High Level (obviously...) perhaps the software needs tweaking.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't really know how far it'll be to walk from the mainline platforms at Liverpool Street to the Northern line entrance at Moorgate, but as the crow flies I believe it's around 450m? Probably no further than the change between some of the lines at Kings Cross St Pancras in fairness. The point I was really making here was that presumably there is not yet an interface between Liverpool Street and Moorgate without leaving the station and doing it at street level. At least when the crossrail platforms open at the end of 2018, there should be direct access, even if it is a bit of a trek from the NR platforms.

ijmad

Established Member
I don't really know how far it'll be to walk from the mainline platforms at Liverpool Street to the Northern line entrance at Moorgate, but as the crow flies I believe it's around 450m? Probably no further than the change between some of the lines at Kings Cross St Pancras in fairness. The point I was really making here was that presumably there is not yet an interface between Liverpool Street and Moorgate without leaving the station and doing it at street level. At least when the crossrail platforms open at the end of 2018, there should be direct access, even if it is a bit of a trek from the NR platforms.

Yeah, I guess there may be a plan to sign a route to the Northern Line even from the high level platforms, by walking down the street to Moorgate (or possibly via the Crossrail interchange hall?) but there isn't one at the moment.

jaig

Just saw a Class 345 on 5Z16 passing Stratford.
225bba41f23dab71f604c098a5f70771.jpg

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

jaig

An opportunity for Class 345 pics...
d01395247646d955e0eaf1fce7e92ae5.jpg

jaig

I believe this is a Class 345 working...
40417cc5500a4487b512b09e06e52bc6.jpg

jaig

How come?
Also, you may as well just post the links rather than embed the picture each time.
Search 5Z16 on realtime trains, which is definitely a Class 345 working (said on the outer PIS). It goes to Shenfield Stabling Sidings and the to Ilford EMUD, and then to Liverpool Street for an evening working. Please feel free to correct me, I'm as excited as you are!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Which day are you looking at? 5Z16 doesn't show in RTT for today's date for me. The 1647 is 2W32 and the preceding ECS movement is 5W32 from Ilford as you might expect.

Edit: Couldn't see 5Z16 as I was looking at Liverpool Street - 5Z16 goes to Shenfield from Gas Factory Jn, then 5Z17 returns it to Ilford depot. 2W32, like many of the other TfL diagrams, follows on from an ECS from Ilford, but I don't see anything to suggest that it'll be a 345 - there are numerous units retained at Ilford, several 315s will be among them.

Last edited:

jaig

Which day are you looking at? 5Z16 doesn't show in RTT for today's date for me. The 1647 is 2W32 and the preceding ECS movement is 5W32 from Ilford as you might expect.
Search Shenfield Stabling Sidings and 5Z16 will show up

samuelmorris

Established Member
See above edit :)

Onto the topic of the units themselves, anyone know what the third circular aperture on the doors is? Is it a flashing indicator to denote door closure from the outside?

Last edited:

jaig

Onto the topic of the units themselves, anyone know what the third circular aperture on the doors is? Is it a flashing indicator to denote door closure from the outside?
I think so. Any luck with finding 5Z16? I tried OpenTrainTimes and found it. Stratford at 14:05.

jaig

Edit: Couldn't see 5Z16 as I was looking at Liverpool Street - 5Z16 goes to Shenfield from Gas Factory Jn, then 5Z17 returns it to Ilford depot. 2W32, like many of the other TfL diagrams, follows on from an ECS from Ilford, but I don't see anything to suggest that it'll be a 345 - there are numerous units retained at Ilford, several 315s will be among them.
Oh, sorry, just read the edit. I'll keep my fingers crossed - it is potential! Even if it doesn't come, the excitement will stay! I'm on my way there now, on the 388 bus.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm still a bit puzzled why you've selected 2W32 in particular - I haven't seen any evidence yet to suggest any evening peak diagrams will operate today/tomorrow. I imagine you'd be better off trying for tomorrow's 5Z04/5Z05 but there you go, if you're already en-route (2 hours?) best of luck to you!

jaig

I'm still a bit puzzled why you've selected 2W32 in particular - I haven't seen any evidence yet to suggest any evening peak diagrams will operate today/tomorrow. I imagine you'd be better off trying for tomorrow's 5Z04/5Z05 but there you go, if you're already en-route (2 hours?) best of luck to you!

To be honest, I don't know why either! I'll try tomorrow's workings as you suggested. Thanks!

CNBRail

On the inside or outside? Can you be more specific?

railfanatic

That's quite a good point. Presumably the trains bound for Liverpool Street high level shouldn't show the Northern Line interchange (and there will be 4tph that terminal there when Crossrail hits full service levels), but the ones bound for the Crossrail tunnel should! Given this one was bound for High Level (obviously...) perhaps the software needs tweaking.

Agreed :) This will be tweaked in the next software update, thanks!

class387

Established Member
Went on the inaugural run from Liverpool Street to Shenfield and back today. I'm very impressed. The ride is smooth (better than a 700 or Electrostar but slightly worse than the older Desiros) and acceleration is good. The unit ran well with no small teething faults noticable that are present on the 700s and kept to time, recovering any delays with its superior acceleration. As far the interior is concerned, I personally love the colour scheme and design (though I understand this is subjective) with the darker shades and what feels like an overall high quality finish. Despite this, I'm still not sure about the seat moquette, especially the priority seats which look almost identical to the usual moquette. I sampled the bay, longitudinal and tip-up seats I found all types of seats comfortable though a bit firm, which I personally prefer. The bay seats are quite similar to the Fainsa seats but with more padding and support, while the longitudinal seats can be likened to an improved version of those in the 378, again with more support and padding. The exterior I still don't like that much, though I have to say that trains look very smart without yellow ends. Overall, TfL have done a very good job with these trains, much better than anything else Bombardier have made before and without the obvious design faults of the 700s.

samuelmorris

Established Member
On the inside or outside? Can you be more specific?

On the outside, on the door itself - there is the door open button beside what I assume is the sounder, and then a separate circular aperture towards the top. Is that an exterior 'door out of use' indicator or something else?

jaig

I think so, but if not, perhaps it's one of those lights that flash when the door closing alarm sounds.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Who is the announcement voice? Something tells me it will be Emma Hignett - I just hope it's not Julie Berry!

class387

Established Member
Who is the announcement voice? Something tells me it will be Emma Hignett - I just hope it's not Julie Berry!

I think it's the same one as London Overground, but the announcements are quite short and paraphrased - something along the lines of "train to Shenfield, next stop Brentwood".

EssexGonzo

Went on the inaugural run from Liverpool Street to Shenfield and back today. I'm very impressed. The ride is smooth (better than a 700 or Electrostar but slightly worse than the older Desiros) and acceleration is good. The unit ran well with no small teething faults noticable that are present on the 700s and kept to time, recovering any delays with its superior acceleration. As far the interior is concerned, I personally love the colour scheme and design (though I understand this is subjective) with the darker shades and what feels like an overall high quality finish. Despite this, I'm still not sure about the seat moquette, especially the priority seats which look almost identical to the usual moquette. I sampled the bay, longitudinal and tip-up seats I found all types of seats comfortable though a bit firm, which I personally prefer. The bay seats are quite similar to the Fainsa seats but with more padding and support, while the longitudinal seats can be likened to an improved version of those in the 378, again with more support and padding. The exterior I still don't like that much, though I have to say that trains look very smart without yellow ends. Overall, TfL have done a very good job with these trains, much better than anything else Bombardier have made before and without the obvious design faults of the 700s.

How was the aircon? :D

macaronlover

I think it's the same one as London Overground, but the announcements are quite short and paraphrased - something along the lines of "train to Shenfield, next stop Brentwood".

Yes, it is Emma Highnett (the same gal that is used for London Overground). One of TfL pros told me that her voice was used because they are trying to move the Class 345 away from National Rail artefacts and prevent the trains from having any kind of 'National Rail' feel to them, but instead have an 'Île-de-France RER-type feel to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.