• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainplan1

It's mainly for platform restrictions at Paddington. Outer curved platforms (8,10,12) are not cleared for Class 345 passenger use without SDO in operation. It helps with the ARS software to know not to route a "9" into certain platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
There seems to be space for 9 cars at hayes. There was a carriage and a half before the buffers where the 345s stopped today and I guess another half a carriage at the other side.

Trailfinder

According to the plans submitted to Hillingdon Council, when complete, the bay platform 5 should be 237 metres long. How much of that length is usable, we will have to wait. Obviously there is still work to be done over what is the building site of the new station and the current entrance from Station Parade.

I suggest looking at the plans, if you are interested in what the 'new' station will look like.

rebmcr

Established Member
There seems to be space for 9 cars at hayes. There was a carriage and a half before the buffers where the 345s stopped today and I guess another half a carriage at the other side.

There is space, Network Rail completed the extension at the last minute.

It awaits approval, at which point we can expect TfL to transfer the 7-cars back East and bring in some 9-cars.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It's mainly for platform restrictions at Paddington. Outer curved platforms (8,10,12) are not cleared for Class 345 passenger use without SDO in operation. It helps with the ARS software to know not to route a "9" into certain platforms.

Although, somehow, at least a few Class 9 services were seen in P12 on Monday morning!

gazr

Although, somehow, at least a few Class 9 services were seen in P12 on Monday morning!
I'm guessing that's where the "without SDO in operation" part kicked in. The train I was on that arrived at P11 had the middle doors OOU, so I'm just guessing that's its set up that way for now no matter what platform they arrive at.

jdxn

The 345's are allowed in plats 8, 10 & 12 at Paddington, although they are not planned to go in there for booked movements so they don't need SDO. However they can and they will do during disruption. As previously mentioned a 9 car 345 doesn't fit into Plat 14. I think that they are Class 9 as that's what will happen when the tunnel is open. Class 9 is very useful when crossing between regions - ie Thameslink, LO etc as its likely both sides have lost of class 2's and finding a unique 2x headcode is probably impossible.

spark001uk

Established Member
LO services through the ELL core are class 9, ditto Thameslink services through the Thameslink core.
I believe Thameslink services are all class 9 now, bar the ones out of King's cross. Must be confusing in areas such as Norwood Jn, where they run alongside LO.

Last edited:

leomartin125

Good start today. Only one 345 currently out and about, the other set was cancelled after it arrived in PAD as ECS, presumably problems of some kind. Not sure if they will send another set out but it's currently hourly 345 off Hayes rather than every 30 mins.

rebmcr

Established Member
I think that they are Class 9 as that's what will happen when the tunnel is open. Class 9 is very useful when crossing between regions - ie Thameslink, LO etc as its likely both sides have lost of class 2's and finding a unique 2x headcode is probably impossible.

I believe Thameslink services are all class 9 now, bar the ones out of King's cross. Must be confusing in areas such as Norwood Jn, where they run alongside LO.

I wonder whether there are any unused or seldom-used letters in the second position that can define a Thameslink or Crossrail train based on core routing rather than destination? Directions could be handled with odd and even end digits.

Established Member
I wonder whether there are any unused or seldom-used letters in the second position that can define a Thameslink or Crossrail train based on core routing rather than destination? Directions could be handled with odd and even end digits.

If I've understood correctly, that would only allow 50 codes each way before they repeat. With up to 24 tph that's only about two hours worth which wouldn't be allowed by the signalling and planning rules.

gwr4090

I gather that the Crossrail tunnel is now fully energised between Westbourne Park and Abbey Wood ? Have any Class 345s run through yet (on test). I suspect that signalling has yet to be fully implemented.

gallafent

I gather that the Crossrail tunnel is now fully energised between Westbourne Park and Abbey Wood ? Have any Class 345s run through yet (on test). I suspect that signalling has yet to be fully implemented.

Nothing to indicate that they've started testing in the central section has appeared on Crossrail's YouTube channel. Their most recent video does show testing with ATO between Canary Wharf and Abbey Wood, so I expect it isn't far away from starting in the central section too:
(N.B. good epic cinematic motivational music ;)

Wivenswold

Established Member
Nothing to indicate that they've started testing in the central section has appeared on Crossrail's YouTube channel. Their most recent video does show testing with ATO between Canary Wharf and Abbey Wood, so I expect it isn't far away from starting in the central section too:
(N.B. good epic cinematic motivational music ;)

Ooof. That music is awful, clearly trying to rip-off French Composer Yann Tiersen but failing dismally. Sorry, back to trains.

frediculous

Saw an empty 345 being dragged through Denmark Hill today from Old Oak to Abbey Wood - presumably for some testing in the tunnels. (Incidentally, it looks like Abbey Wood Crossrail has its own station code, which surprised me.)

First time I have seen them in the flesh - they certainly look futuristic to me.

Roger100

Saw an empty 345 being dragged through Denmark Hill today from Old Oak to Abbey Wood - presumably for some testing in the tunnels. (Incidentally, it looks like Abbey Wood Crossrail has its own station code, which surprised me.)

First time I have seen them in the flesh - they certainly look futuristic to me.

Saw my first one yesterday - I live near Durham so not a surprise. 345014 at platform 11 at Paddington. Alas I didn't have enough time to take a picture from the sunny side, it was off to Hayes & Harlington before I got round there.

345014.jpg

plcd1

Testing has been Abbey Wood to Stepney Green crossover so far. I understand testing as far as Paddington is planned for July.

This is what was stated in the mid May Crossrail Transition Paper (part quote of relevant sections only).
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516-item11-crossrail.pdf

3.3 Testing of the new trains and systems continues in the tunnel section between Abbey Wood and Stepney Green. The trains are being tested progressively at increasing speeds, levels of automatic control and number of trains in the tunnels. A significant step forward for the project took place on 13 April when testing started under full signalling control, with subsequent testing being undertaken in full automatic control and at speeds over 60mph.

3.4 Other tests being carried out include the interface with the platform screen doors and the CCTV for the train drivers. Testing will be extended to the full central section route (Paddington to Abbey Wood) in July 2018.

southern442

Established Member
The 345's are allowed in plats 8, 10 & 12 at Paddington, although they are not planned to go in there for booked movements so they don't need SDO. However they can and they will do during disruption. As previously mentioned a 9 car 345 doesn't fit into Plat 14. I think that they are Class 9 as that's what will happen when the tunnel is open. Class 9 is very useful when crossing between regions - ie Thameslink, LO etc as its likely both sides have lost of class 2's and finding a unique 2x headcode is probably impossible.
Could we potentially see class 9 headcodes on the WLL for similar reasons?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
345 016 and 345 017 were on the Hayes shuttle today... running from platform 14. They were still running as class 9, and are in face displaying the full four figures in the destination indicators on the carriage sides, which does suggest that @jdxn is correct with his theory that it simply designates a Crossrail service.

KC1

I’ve just seen a test train at Custom House and every carriage had forward/backward facing seating, is this a one-off, change of design of the seating layout?

AM9

Veteran Member
I’ve just seen a test train at Custom House and every carriage had forward/backward facing seating, is this a one-off, change of design of the seating layout?
Do mean every car had transverse seating along it's length or just a couple of rows between the doors?

KC1

Yes, every car had transverse seating. Looked like the whole carriage was transverse. It was midday ish and I hadn’t been drinking beforehand.

KC1

I understand the capacity aspect but the TL 700 all have transverse seating and can cope with two person standing on the aisles so why can’t crossrail have that? It’s something I don’t understand either with the overground, most of the journeys are above ground and travel through some nice areas, it would be nice to look out the window either facing forwards or backwards but not sideways.

Established Member
I understand the capacity aspect but the TL 700 all have transverse seating and can cope with two person standing on the aisles so why can’t crossrail have that? It’s something I don’t understand either with the overground, most of the journeys are above ground and travel through some nice areas, it would be nice to look out the window either facing forwards or backwards but not sideways.
The seating layout is also my main gripe with the 345s. They're alright trains but the layout is far too core oriented. A section that is only going to take 10 minutes out of probably a 60+ minute journey shouldn't fully influence the layout of the train. Because what has happened is yes people using it from Liverpool Street to Tottenham Court Road won't be bothered but people commuting from say Romford to Bond Street or Iver to Farringdon will be annoyed that they are struggling to get a seat every morning due to the lack of it for the sake of people in Central London using it to go two stops.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's only 10 minutes but it carries the most passengers.

But it's taking over lines where there is a large flow into London, from the surrounding areas like Bucks & Berks.
All the seats should be like the 700s or like the German S-bahn trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.