• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Won't happen immediately though. While that is the permanent plan which starts with the new December timetable it still depends on the 9 cars taking over from the 7 cars on Great Western.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
7 car 345002 now at Crewe. I believe the 1st 7 car to head over there.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Mileage Accumilation testing on the mainline. Usually a sign that it's a month or so away from delivery to Old Oak Common or Ilford. Hopefully 345001 will follow.

Just listened to the interview with Terry Morgan on R4 PM programme who stated that the 345 programme is running 18 months late, something he said was the responsibility of TFL and not Crossrail.

I am only relaying what he said and pass no judgement on whether or not what he said was accurate

JW16

Surely with the potential for delays if an 11-car train stops at Maryland with 4 cars locked out by SDO would eventually result in the complete closure of the station?
Being only less than half a mile from Stratford it wouldn't be missed by the majority of users of the service if it did close.

Ethano92

Used 3 different 345s for the first time in a while today. Ride quality wasn't as great as remembered. It was also very stuffy along the length of 2 trains something I've noticed on almost every 345 out of summertime without air con on. Similar feel to the stuffy GN 387s and other stock.

Door operation seemed pretty inconsistent. The first train I was on (Liverpool street-romford)just released the doors for passengers to open at all stops. Second one (Romford to Liverpool Street) opened all doors at every stop, buttons were inactive and there was no auto-close. All doors stayed open whilst we were held at a red signal for 2 minutes or so. This train wasn't stuffy and very airy, did the driver do it for that reason? Last one (Liverpool Street-ilford) only opened all doors at Stratford (rightly so) and they autoclosed after only about 3-5seconds of inactivity. The rest of the stops were passenger operated.

Should also mention the last train was the only relativley crowded one where people genuinely had to stand as opposed to choosing not to sit in-between people got caught out with the end of the shopping day. You've got to love how these trains simply swallow up crowds

samuelmorris

Established Member
Just listened to the interview with Terry Morgan on R4 PM programme who stated that the 345 programme is running 18 months late, something he said was the responsibility of TFL and not Crossrail.

I am only relaying what he said and pass no judgement on whether or not what he said was accurate
Is a fair amount of that not to do with the pudding mill lane mishap? That's hardly a TfL / Bombardier issue...

Never seen that behaviour with the doors before, I've had dozens of journeys on 345s and they have all behaved as normal with passenger door operation (confusing as that can be with Aventras).
Can't say I agree with the stuffy comment compared with 315s.

Ethano92

Surely with the potential for delays if an 11-car train stops at Maryland with 4 cars locked out by SDO would eventually result in the complete closure of the station?
It's done at some Thameslink station with their 12car trains. Harlington in 1 direction but can't remember which one. I think Norwood junction is the same

bramling

Veteran Member

And he’d be right to some extent as the reliability issues with the 345s sit with Bombardier.

However as ever it’s never quite that simple, as there’s clearly issues with testing and signalling integration, along with the substation mishap which delayed the start of testing. And anyone taking a look at many of the central stations can see a mile off that they were never going to be ready for December.

theking

It's done at some Thameslink station with their 12car trains. Harlington in 1 direction but can't remember which one. I think Norwood junction is the same

Difference is those thameslink trains are not full and standing where people can't even get on at maryland let alone alight from the last carriage.

Maryland is a joke it should have been shut when crossrail was planned.

Ethano92

Difference is those thameslink trains are not full and standing where people can't even get on at maryland let alone alight from the last carriage.

Trains during peaks are certainly full and standing at Norwood junction.

Anyway, why do people choose to use Maryland, doesn't half the train empty at Stratford since it's such a big hub? If you are going to Liverpool Street, there will be more trains going there at Stratford anyway, as for going the other direction, why not walk to Stratford if you know you won't be able to get on at Maryland. I agree, Maryland and Stratford are unnecessarily close together and I doubt it would be a big deal if Maryland shut down.

Via Bank

Anyway, why do people choose to use Maryland, doesn't half the train empty at Stratford since it's such a big hub? If you are going to Liverpool Street, there will be more trains going there at Stratford anyway, as for going the other direction, why not walk to Stratford if you know you won't be able to get on at Maryland. I agree, Maryland and Stratford are unnecessarily close together and I doubt it would be a big deal if Maryland shut down.

It doesn't look like a long distance on the map, but it's a fair slog. At least fifteen minutes' extra walk. It's slightly better now the old Stratford gyratory has gone, but there are still massive severance issues (ironically thanks to the massive railway junctions and most of the area between Westfield and the A112 being a building site.)

I don't see how closing Maryland for operational convenience squares with facilitating easy travel by public transport. And this is especially important for children and staff going to the at least eight schools and colleges in the immediate area.

If Maryland were to close, I guarantee you many of those kids would be driven to school instead.

Established Member
It doesn't look like a long distance on the map, but it's a fair slog. At least fifteen minutes' extra walk. It's slightly better now the old Stratford gyratory has gone, but there are still massive severance issues (ironically thanks to the massive railway junctions and most of the area between Westfield and the A112 being a building site.)

I don't see how closing Maryland for operational convenience squares with facilitating easy travel by public transport. And this is especially important for children and staff going to the at least eight schools and colleges in the immediate area.

If Maryland were to close, I guarantee you many of those kids would be driven to school instead.
Time to hop on the 69, 257 and 308 buses!

theking

Anyone would think that Maryland is in the middle of the peak district miles from civilisation.

The walk from stratford is hardly strenuous, kids and the elderly get free bus travel and not sure if it's still the case with the new layout of stratford gyratory but if you include the ones that do/used to stop Romford road/morrisons then a glut of buses serve it.

Also not sure of the signalling but could it even handle cars hanging out the end of the platform because I'm pretty sure some stations have a signal right before the platform entrance.

My understanding is that Maryland was initially not going to be served by Crossrail primarily because of how difficult it would be to extend the platforms – they are boxed in by the bridges carrying The Grove on the West and Water Lane on the East. But it's understandable that there was pressure to keep it open – it's an annoyingly long walk to Stratford even though they're relatively close, and one of the last things we need is to send more traffic there – it's already unbearable. With the ability to take some pressure off, and given the amount of money that's obviously been poured in as a results of the station upgrades, it seems unlikely that it'll be closed any time soon.

That said, I'm surprised usage is apparently as high as it is. Maryland apparently has over 1/3 the traffic of Forest Gate, but the latter is consistently rammed all the time, and I only ever see a handful of people board or alight at Maryland.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I was about to say the same, it's always busy in the morning peaks.

Parking the proximity with Stratford, though those posting about quick strolls tend to forget those of us who have disabilities, surely Maryland is needed to reduce pressure on Stratford Regional which is a nightmare at peak times.

rebmcr

Established Member
Also not sure of the signalling but could it even handle cars hanging out the end of the platform because I'm pretty sure some stations have a signal right before the platform entrance.

The western platform ends are right up against the crossovers for Stratford's throat — which would begin even further eastwards if Maryland wasn't in the way, it's already a compromise design.

BahrainLad

Maryland is a 15 minute walk from my house, whereas Stratford is 25-30 minutes at least on a bus and waiting time and so on. So it stays open, please.

Established Member
Maryland is gaining its own share of the passengers. I've seen plenty of passengers during my time there, I think it just needs a better service on Sundays and evenings but it does help in relieving Stratford and Forest Gate.

LLivery

Established Member

Stratford is bad enough as it is, it doesn't need Maryland people too. It'll hit 2 million entries and exits soon enough.

iphone76

I wondered why they couldn't reach a compromise and use the money being used to install lifts on all platforms to build a walk way with travelator between Maryland and Stratford. Similar to the Hackney Downs / Central interchange.

It was interesting the usage didn't dip after ticket barriers were installed. If anything it seemed to get busier.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I wondered why they couldn't reach a compromise and use the money being used to install lifts on all platforms to build a walk way with travelator between Maryland and Stratford. Similar to the Hackney Downs / Central interchange.

It was interesting the usage didn't dip after ticket barriers were installed. If anything it seemed to get busier.
Sounds expensive. They can't even afford a lift for platform 4 at Brentwood...

Ethano92

Although I understand that Maryland is a convenient station if your not travelling at peak in the peak direction, there are signs dotted all around the plaza at the entrance of Stratford that if I remember correctly claim it's a 9 minute walk to Maryland. I may be wrong though but it's what I think I can remember. Either way, I don't advocate a station shutting down, i still don't think it would be a big deal either though. I'm just saying why do people bother going there during peaks then complain they can't get on? I think if 4 cars need to be shut out with DOO on an 11 coach train then so be it, get off at the next station and go back.

Looking at maps now, I do see that Leyton on the central line is actually quite far away so Maryland does serve a good area but as said before, it always looks empty.

samuelmorris

Established Member
11-car I can see being an issue at quite a few stations, I wouldn't mind betting that if they do expand to that size that it won't be every train and it'll end up being confined to the core. 4-car SDO is a recipe for long dwell times, fine for 1 or 2tph longer distance services but in the midst of a 12tph metro branch, seems problematic to say the least.

JW16

I think TfL Rail made a bit of a mistake when they rejigged the peak timetable. Historically, in the morning peak, Shenfield starters ran all stations to Ilford then Stratford and Liverpool Street, while Gidea Park starters ran all stations to Liverpool Street. Shenfield starters once they get to Ilford are full, but TfL now also stop them at at least 1 of the next 3 stations. Gidea Park starters are naturally a bit less full and could better handle the additional stop(s) after Ilford.

Railperf

Established Member
I think TfL Rail made a bit of a mistake when they rejigged the peak timetable. Historically, in the morning peak, Shenfield starters ran all stations to Ilford then Stratford and Liverpool Street, while Gidea Park starters ran all stations to Liverpool Street. Shenfield starters once they get to Ilford are full, but TfL now also stop them at at least 1 of the next 3 stations. Gidea Park starters are naturally a bit less full and could better handle the additional stop(s) after Ilford.
ISn't it to keep a minimum gap between trains and maintain capacity? Running non-stop between Ilford and Stratford would lessen capacity - unless they crawl along close behind the stoppers!

I spotted 031 and 032 sitting just outside the western portal this morning. Are they running testing through the core now?

Status
Not open for further replies.