• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350/1 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spirit555

I believe 350112 and 130 are also refurbished, although not actually seen them up close as yet

Mark

Wolfie

Established Member
New seat fabric etc shows how tired what are fundamentally very good units were starting to look. Pretty much good as new now (toilets possibly excepted).

Spirit555

I also believe that 350109, 111 and 127 are refurbished. It appears that a refurbished unit has an additional black round disc just above the carriage gangway section. Having done a quick picture search this only leaves 120 and 130 to be done.

Mark

Dan15812

I also believe that 350109, 111 and 127 are refurbished. It appears that a refurbished unit has an additional black round disc just above the carriage gangway section. Having done a quick picture search this only leaves 120 and 130 to be done.
Never even thought of that, that's very helpful to know!

Annotation 2020-08-25 2300152.png
After doing a bit of research, is this what you mean about the disc?
It would be interesting to know what it's meant for.

Last edited:

Spirit555

Yes. I believe it is something to with the PIS screens that are fitted. Some sort of GPS receiving pod. By co-incidence 350401 I was on on Monday with refurbished 350128. Only 350/1, /3 and /4 will get these.

Mark

Dan15812

Yes. I believe it is something to with the PIS screens that are fitted. Some sort of GPS receiving pod. By co-incidence 350401 I was on on Monday with refurbished 350128. Only 350/1, /3 and /4 will get these.

Mark
That's what I thought, as the refurbed SWR Desiros don't have them.
Wonder if the 185's have them.

That's what I thought, as the refurbed SWR Desiros don't have them.
Wonder if the 185's have them.

They don't - they have a combined GPS/GSM antenna on the roof of the DMS car for that purpose and it's not the same design as shown on the 350.

Dan15812

350120 refurbished. That leaves 350130 to be done.

Mark
I guess that sums up the much needed, well finished 350/1 internal refurbishment.
I'm very impressed with the speed of the referb especially when compared with the SWR Desiro refurb.
That then just leaves the 350/4 and 350/3, will they be given the same treatment minus the grab poles, do you think? Will be intresting to find out

RealTrains07

Established Member
I guess that sums up the much needed, well finished 350/1 internal refurbishment.
I'm very impressed with the speed of the referb especially when compared with the SWR Desiro refurb.
That then just leaves the 350/4 and 350/3, will they be given the same treatment minus the grab poles, do you think? Will be intresting to find out
Dont see why they wouldnt have the grab poles re-painted considering the same colours would be acceptable even against the grey panels in terms of PRM accessibility?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I was impressed by the refurbishment inside 350121 yesterday, first time I've travelled on one since theyve been treated.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I was impressed by the refurbishment inside 350121 yesterday, first time I've travelled on one since theyve been treated.
I've not been on one yet but the photos look quite nice, the interior is a little grey for me though. Some shots I've seen the seats are already looking like they are worn out!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I've not been on one yet but the photos look quite nice, the interior is a little grey for me though. Some shots I've seen the seats are already looking like they are worn out!
I was impressed by the appearance of the first class seats although as they haven't been well received by other posters I admit I've yet to sit on one!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was impressed by the appearance of the first class seats although as they haven't been well received by other posters I admit I've yet to sit on one!

Have you been in Standard on a Southern/Southeastern Electrostar? They're the same as those. I believe they're a Fainsa/Compin product, but they are one of their better ones - however I find the Grammer seats in Standard more comfortable.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Have you been in Standard on a Southern/Southeastern Electrostar? They're the same as those. I believe they're a Fainsa/Compin product, but they are one of their better ones - however I find the Grammer seats in Standard more comfortable.
Same here. Also, I've noticed that the panels in the coaches of /1s have not been changed as they are still pale blue like before and the blue bits by the door buttons haven't been done it just looks a bit of a mismatch when you've got grey and green and then light and dark blue with silver handrails.:o

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Same here. Also, I've noticed that the panels in the coaches of /1s have not been changed as they are still pale blue like before and the blue bits by the door buttons haven't been done it just looks a bit of a mismatch when you've got grey and green and then light and dark blue with silver handrails.:o
Clearly I will have to be more observant when I next go on one as I didnt notice any of these things!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Yes, I find that looks a bit odd and am surprised they didn't standardise them all to grey, it can't be expensive, it's just a piece of plastic.

aleggatta

Yes, I find that looks a bit odd and am surprised they didn't standardise them all to grey, it can't be expensive, it's just a piece of plastic.
Supplier issues, perhaps?
I believe from old internal sources this was either an error (someone forgot) or it was because not all bits of trim could have a new colour applied easily or were not removed so colours remained the same.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I haven't travelled by rail since the lockdown so relying on memory but I think that the panels below the windows in 1st were originally covered in a fabric (?uncut moquette) but the refurbished units have a painted finish. I'm not sure, but if true this would suggest that the panels are renewed

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I haven't travelled by rail since the lockdown so relying on memory but I think that the panels below the windows in 1st were originally covered in a fabric (?uncut moquette) but the refurbished units have a painted finish. I'm not sure, but if true this would suggest that the panels are renewed
Looking at photos of it, it's a LNWR shade of dark green so I'm guessing it's new although by this shot I found, you cannot tell if it's fabric or painted.1599586633416.png

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Looking at photos of it, it's a LNWR shade of dark green so I'm guessing it's new although by this shot I found, you cannot tell if it's fabric or painted.View attachment 83284
Thanks for that response. I'm pretty sure that the refurb. finish is painted, fairly glossy, and possibly a bit cheap-looking; the old fabric seemed to have remained in really good condition, so replacing it seemed strange. My haziness is whether the /1s did originally have fabric, or whether I'm getting confused with /2 or /3s. In the 1st, ii's not so easy to tell which sub-class you're in!
It's a matter of taste, I know; but the grey seats do look a bit bland, and a contrast to the external livery, which isn't. But that's just my opinion...

Spirit555

350124 gone for corrosion repairs today and 350111 returned in ghost livery. 350130 also now refurbished and in full vinyled livery. That's the 350/1 refurbs now complete.

Mark

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Has anyone else notice that 350/1s are a different shade to /3s and 4s?

I've seen a few like this and obviously whoever ordered the vinyl for the /1 refurb got the wrong colour.

1602792898673.png
Only subtle, but when together they stick out like a sore thumb. Left a proper LNWR colour on a /3 & Right a /1 with a more GWR type green than an LNWR shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.