• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
Please explain. What part of the route is not 25kv?
365s are very limited as to where they can run under their own power as there is electrical interference between them and the signalling systems (800s/801s/802s had a very similar issue a while back), therefore the only places they can run under their own power are places that have been specifically cleared for them - that is Kings Cross to Peterborough/Kings Lynn, the Hertford loop and a few routes in Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
What and where is ROG?
Loco base for locomotives is now at derby rail technology centre.
Also have storage and some ex mk3 coaches ie Anglia and transport for wales at castle donnington Depot.
Also have a storage Depot in bicester with some off the same again mk3 coaches ex transport for wales and Anglia with a ex Anglia mk3 driving van trailer.
Plus x5 ex 3602 Heathrow connect units also there.
Part off rail operations group.

greyman42

Established Member
365s are very limited as to where they can run under their own power as there is electrical interference between them and the signalling systems (800s/801s/802s had a very similar issue a while back), therefore the only places they can run under their own power are places that have been specifically cleared for them - that is Kings Cross to Peterborough/Kings Lynn, the Hertford loop and a few routes in Scotland.
Thanks, that explains it. I did not know they were limited regarding where they could run under the wires.

Bringback309s

All this shunting what I consider good units around the country. But is there anything likely to happen to them apart from being scrapped?

Journeyman

Established Member
All this shunting what I consider good units around the country. But is there anything likely to happen to them apart from being scrapped?
No.

They're very limited in where they can operate, and there's a surplus of modern EMUs at the moment.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
They never worked in Scotland but there were no approval issues getting them going as these units are certified to work with all the standard track circuit configurations. In AC areas its generally a lot easier to get approval across the network unlike the DC areas where there are multitude of DC track circuit types that are a lot more susceptible to three phase drives especially 1st generation types where the switching frequencies were a lot lower.

59CosG95

Established Member
They never worked in Scotland but there were no approval issues getting them going as these units are certified to work with all the standard track circuit configurations. In AC areas its generally a lot easier to get approval across the network unlike the DC areas where there are multitude of DC track circuit types that are a lot more susceptible to three phase drives especially 1st generation types where the switching frequencies were a lot lower.
Never worked in Scotland? 10 365s were drafted in to help ScotRail in 2018/2019 after the 385s were all delayed due to their windscreens. They worked Edinburgh-Glasgow QS services and were maintained at Shields Rd. SR even gave them a press release and called them 'the Happy Trains'.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Never worked in Scotland? 10 365s were drafted in to help ScotRail in 2018/2019 after the 385s were all delayed due to their windscreens. They worked Edinburgh-Glasgow QS services and were maintained at Shields Rd. SR even gave them a press release and called them 'the Happy Trains'.
Poorly worded as my point was supposed to be they had never worked in Scotland but when called in to assist there were was no big issue getting them working as track circuits are standardised across the AC network and far less susceptible to interference issues compared getting them certified in DC traction areas. Main issue i recollect was adjusting ride height.

So bottom line is these units could be used across the AC network if there was a desire to do so - unlikely i know.

js1000

Sure I saw one of these in a maintenance shed at Ardwick depot in Manchester on the way home from work today. :s

D365

Veteran Member
Sure I saw one of these in a maintenance shed at Ardwick depot in Manchester on the way home from work today. :s
As above. It’s 365525 with an ETCS ”first in class” fitment.

warwickshire

On Moderation
According to live rail record brake issues.
So maybe next time around maybe Van's might be needed for brake force and to solve any further problems.
Or maybe they might become singular moves to move them.?.
Suspect at crewe they haven't been moved or energised for a very long time.
However wonder iff rail operations group have purchased some off these rather than withdrawal?.

js1000

As above. It’s 365525 with an ETCS ”first in class” fitment.
Are the DfT obligated to pay Royal Bank of Scotland compensation if the 365s are not leased/scrapped before a specified year? Seems like such a ridiculous arrangement that the MoD would be proud of. Difficult to see where they go without electrification of some lines given the surplus of EMUs.

warwickshire

On Moderation
It was and around on time near enough through cholsey with 57310 leading named the pride off Cumbria.
With 365525 on rear.
Not bad Manchester to bicester via styal lines then via trent valley. Onwards via Watford and acton reading and oxford to bicester. Pity it wasn't a charter rail tour.
However maybe rail operations group may own some rather than withdrawal.
However maybe 365525 was also due to move to bicester.
So at least its moved now rather than later.

brad465

Established Member
Ely, Crewe, and now Bicester (apologies if I've missed any others); at this rate they'll be clocking up as many miles being dragged between storage sites as they did in passenger service ;)

DBS92042

Established Member
Ely, Crewe, and now Bicester (apologies if I've missed any others); at this rate they'll be clocking up as many miles being dragged between storage sites as they did in passenger service ;)
If I'm not mistaken, all of the Ely units are now at Doncaster Belmont

Paul Jones 88

I would have thought that 365s could go anywhere that post office Networkers being that apart from carrying passengers they are very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.