• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip C

Just to add fire to the seat discussion...

I sat on a few on, at a guess, 387 213 or somewhere around that region, and they are pretty dire really as seats go IMO (obviously I was working so didn't get to sit for long ;)).

The term 'Ironing Board' sprung to mind immediately.

Could I suggest instead "The term 'Unsprung Ironing Board' sprang to mind immediately"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesRowden

Established Member
Just to add fire to the seat discussion...

I sat on a few on, at a guess, 387 213 or somewhere around that region, and they are pretty dire really as seats go IMO (obviously I was working so didn't get to sit for long ;)).

The term 'Ironing Board' sprung to mind immediately.

They're no where near as bad as `Urban 90s'.

It has been allocated to 1W94 on a red triple, leading unit if I guess correctly.

After that it does 1W57 Bedford 1840 - Brighton 2111, then 1W68 Brighton 2133 - Bedford 0008, then to the depot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now being delayed en route due to a train fault.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually it was the trailing unit on 1W94. :p

Train 1W94 was terminated at Luton on its northbound journey because of excessive lateness.

I still managed to get decent mileage in 387202 between Blackfriars & Luton though, before being turfed off.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Train 1W94 was terminated at Luton on its northbound journey because of excessive lateness.

I still managed to get decent mileage in 387202 between Blackfriars & Luton though, before being turfed off.

Funnily enough I was saying to a fellow forum member whether we would be able to spot another forum member on the train, especially in the rear unit. It would appear that there was indeed another one on. ;)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Funnily enough I was saying to a fellow forum member whether we would be able to spot another forum member on the train, especially in the rear unit. It would appear that there was indeed another one on. ;)

At least one more ;)

(I happened to catch it for my train home)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've only used 387s a few times on the slow run between St Pancras and East Croydon but found the seats fine.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I like the seats too (and the Class 450/455 ones). Can't stand the saggy ones in the Class 458s.

*gets coat* :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
According to the latest issue of Rail the 387s start on Gatwick Express duties from the 29th February.

-----

I like the seats, a lot better than the memory foam ones used in the refurbished 159s

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
According to the latest issue of Rail the 387s start on Gatwick Express duties from the 29th February.

Also announced by Southern's website on the 2nd Feb. Not obvious on the actual GatEx website yet though.

The Southern announcement was discussed around 3rd of Feb, however it doesn't seem to have been linked to AFAICS...

...On 29th February the first new Gatwick Express Electrostar train will enter service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport and is the first of 27 new trains to come which will replace the current 30-year old train fleet.

http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...n-fleet-to-start-entering-service-this-month/

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Also announced by Southern's website on the 2nd Feb. Not obvious on the actual GatEx website yet though.

The Southern announcement was discussed around 3rd of Feb, however it doesn't seem to have been linked to AFAICS...

Ah, the "exciting new changes"

I guess Brian will be at Victoria on that Monday with his BZ6 - Gatwick ticket in hand ready to try out the fresh air carrying system ;)

lev441

Can't stand the ironing board seats.. Have done two gatwick return trips from north of the thames... and on all four journeys i've been very uncomfortable after about 30 mins!

Class377/5

Established Member

MCR247

Established Member
Love?

Can you at least agree that they could be more padded?

Could be, but I'm pretty happy with them as they are. 387, the 377 3+2 seats, the 450s etc are all great to me whereas the much loved IC70s and similar seats are all awful for me tbh :?

fowler9

Established Member
Could be, but I'm pretty happy with them as they are. 387, the 377 3+2 seats, the 450s etc are all great to me whereas the much loved IC70s and similar seats are all awful for me tbh :?

Anyone who likes 3+2 seats needs serious help. (I was going to say I am joking but I'm not sure I am, ha ha).

southern442

Established Member
Anyone who likes 3+2 seats needs serious help. (I was going to say I am joking but I'm not sure I am, ha ha).

Actually, I read an article in one of the rail magazines about the 321 conversion and it mentioned that the majority of passengers preferred the 3+2 layout.

hassaanhc

Established Member

That is generally the case for me too. Don't actually mind the IC70, but my least favourite seats are the horribly saggy ones in the 458s, or the super bouncy 72ts ones that throw you about at the slightest track imperfections (not helped by crap suspension, and 73ts not much better).

Could always have the Class 319 "so-low-you-might-as-well-be-sitting-on-the-floor" ones :lol: that are also very raked back and help you fall sleep :P (not ideal but don't mind them too much).

fowler9

Established Member
Actually, I read an article in one of the rail magazines about the 321 conversion and it mentioned that the majority of passengers preferred the 3+2 layout.

I hear about these studies and no one ever seems to ask me. I'm trying to picture these people sat in between 2 strangers with their arms and legs everywhere and not an inch of breathing space thinking "At least I have a seat" as you all rub up together. Mmmm nice. Purely a personal opinion but if it was a short journey I would rather stand and have more space. If it was a longer journey I would stand an spend the journey sending London Midland e mails asking them to stop putting 350/2's on Inter City trains. Even Merseyrail don't have 3+2.

childwallblues

Established Member
If it was a longer journey I would stand an spend the journey sending London Midland e mails asking them to stop putting 350/2's on Inter City trains. Even Merseyrail don't have 3+2.

Unfortunately LM don't listen to complaints about 350/2.
BHM-LIV requires eight units and EUS-CRE about the same number. LM has 40 2+2 units but the Liverpool route (88 miles) still sees 3-4 350/2 units each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.