• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 390

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Mk4s have the tilt profile, as they were designed so that they could be modified to tilt. I think they were going to be modified if 140mph running on the ECML happened.

How many degrees for a Pendolino? Whatever it is, I'm sure it is a couple of degrees more than a Super Voyager.

SuperVoyagers can tilt to 6º IIRC

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yes, the SuperVoyagers can tilt to 6º, but the Voyagers can't.
That's always seemed a bit odd to me, and I can see no logical reason why the Voyagers dont tilt, when the SuperVoyagers do :?

Vast expense to kit them out to tilting specification.

The reason for only the Supers tilting is that the only EPS routes that XC ran on when the Voyager family was ordered were Glasgow - Brum down the WCML and Manchester - Stoke - Birmingham. Because the tilting kit is heavy and expensive, it didn't make sense to kit out every new train with it.

XC have removed the tilting kit from their SVs because they simply didn't need it anymore, the only EPS running being Manchester - Brum.

Personally, I think they should be given the WCML Brum - Scotland runs anyway, and give Virgin back the 4 4-car SVs to do their North Wales services with!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I think that the XC franchise should cover the North West at least as far as Preston, with plenty of connections available towards Blackpool, Carlisle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and beyond.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Which ones are you talking about?

Cross Country Super Voyagers, or Virgin West Coast Super Voyagers?

All Virgin 221's can and do tilt.

The other 221's- The Cross Country sets, as already correctly stated by another member have had, or are having their tilting mech removed.

SuperVoyager

I am talking about Virgin's Supers, i assure you that they do not tilt. Yes they have the equipment but they don't tilt.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Since when?

They definately have done, if you're correct..

I've been on many a VT 221, tilting at what i assume to be 125mph (100 at least), including the very big curve at Berkhamstead..

me123

Established Member
Virgin units tilt, I assure you. It can be seen here when the train is stationary.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Find me a picture of one tilting then

Why the heck have you randomly decided to delcare that all Virgin Super Voyager's don't tilt, without any evidence to prove it?

As a side note, am i right in thinking that all (or at least most) Virgin West Coast Super Voyager services are now timed for tilt?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Well they were certainly pulling your leg..

I can assure you they definately do tilt. ;)

devon_metro

Established Member
You were told WRONG then. Virgin 221s tilt. Cross Country 221s don't.

Don't argue - you are wrong.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Many thanks for that devon_metro :D

(Wait a minute, something's definately going wrong.. this is the second time within a week, that we've agreed with each other! :lol: ;))
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i think the driver manager knows what he's talking about...

You're wrong!! :roll: :roll: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

they are designed to tilt, but whether they use the facility or not is another question, that driver guy might have meant that they don't use the tilt, but still have it.

Established Member
i think the driver manager knows what he's talking about...

If he's telling you that Virgin SuperVoyagers don't tilt, then he obviously doesn't.

Why would they go through the process of having it fitted, going trough the testing process, setting up everything onf the tracks so they can tilt, spending huge amounts of money, and then not actually using it?

SuperVoyagers don't tilt in the same way that Pendolinos don't tilt :P

Status
Not open for further replies.