• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 390

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Do me a favour Super Voyager..

Go on a sodding Virgin Super Voyager, and tell me if it tilts or not..

Unless it has the tilt isolated, it will do!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Grow up. It definitely not "end of". You ask for proof that they tilt, but where's your proof that they don't?

Well said..

That's why i'm very annoyed-

Everyone makes mistakes, and i couldn't care less that SV is trying to say that VT 221's don't tilt.

It's just his incredibly immature attitude, that just because a DM has declared that VT 221's don't tilt, that is definately the case.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
look im not going to argue anymore... i know im right and your wrong so im leaving this argument

Have you even been on a Virgin Super Voyager before?

Established Member
Find me a picture of one tilting then

2_EN_SuperVoyager.jpg

There you go, a SuperVoyager tilting in regular service.
Happy now?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
:lol:

I'm going to remove myself from this thread (from the notifications), but if anyone wants to say anything to me, feel free to PM me.

Super Voyager, i don't understand why you are being very babyish. If you want to tell me why, tell us all & also PM me.

Pumbaa

Established Member
2_EN_SuperVoyager.jpg

There you go, a SuperVoyager tilting in regular service.
Happy now?

YES!! Thanks 90019!

look im not going to argue anymore... i know im right and your wrong so im leaving this argument

Virgins 221s tilt. End of. Confirmed by many, and to finalise the point, if they didn't tilt, they wouldn't be allowed to run in VHF as a regular service, due to all 100/110mph paths in use, and only 125mph paths left. In addition to prove this, only 125EPS traffic is sent via Weedon in the TT, and the SuperVoyagers run via Weedon, leading us to the conclusion that they are capable to run at EPS speeds, hence they can tilt.

Bittern

Established Member

221 do tilt. That pictured is a tilting 221.
Quoted from Virgin Trains' website.
Class 221 Super Voyager Diesel Units: Virgin Trains placed an order worth more than £1 billion with Canadian Company Bombardier Transportation in December 1998 for 78 trains.The trains were procured in association with train leasing company Voyager Leasing. Of these, 44 are tilting trains known as Super Voyagers, of which 16 have been retained by Virgin Trains, with the remainder being operated by Arriva when it began running the CrossCountry franchise from 11 November 2007.

http://www.virgintrainsmediaroom.com/index.cfm?articleid=191

Pumbaa

Established Member
Looks like a XC that hasnt been painted... no badge

It's a Virgin 221 - 4 cars though. The route pictured is the WCML through the Lake District. XC don't run that part of the WCML, so it must be a Virgin tilting 221. End of argument!
christ i think this has been said 1000 times...
221's can tilt!!!!!! But they dont use it!!!!:roll:

they do! See my above post about weedon!

me123

Established Member
I'm sure they do with Virgin, but not with CrossCountry.

Looking at journey times down the WCML Glasgow-Carlisle, Pendolinos and Voyagers are timetabled to complete the journey in about the same length of time, give or take. Whereas TPE trains (which definitely do not tilt) take about 5-10 minutes longer. On this stretch of the WCML, a non-tilting train cannot keep to Pendolino timings; EPS speeds are everywhere!

Wikipedia is also under the impression that the trains can tilt, for what it's worth. And several other sites mention it as well.

EDIT: Whilst I was researching this, everyone else has answered the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.