• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 Refresh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paulprentice

Would I be right in sayuing this "refurb" took around 10 months?
The first unit (395012) went in on June 12th and was back in traffic on Monday. The next in line for refurb is 395015 and it should take around three weeks, with the remainder taking around two weeks.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
As if these needed doing before the Networkers though!
You are not wrong, although the Networkers are supposed to be ever imminently binned so nobody wants to spend the money. Meanwhile the Javelins will continue to be used for many more years

Doomotron

As if these needed doing before the Networkers though!
The Networkers are going to be replaced entirely within the next few years, and had a minor refresh a few years ago. The 375s also had a refresh after around ten years in service which laid the groundwork for their mid-life refurbishment, so the Javelin refurbishment now is not surprising.

Trainguy34

Can confirm that 395 015 has been refurbed, on it now. Can't see much of a difference in the coach I'm in (5th) however most differences are in the accessible coach (1st I believe)

Doomotron

Can confirm that 395 015 has been refurbed, on it now. Can't see much of a difference in the coach I'm in (5th) however most differences are in the accessible coach (1st I believe)
Differences to 012 or the original interior?

Trainguy34

I assume the interior of 015 is the same as 012?
Probably, haven't experienced 012. Shocked at the fact that there are only 2 loos. Was in the same coach going back and the loo in coach F had a queue, meaning I had to walk 120 metres to the rear of the train. Quite good otherwise apart from the shout screamy child behind me, but that isn't Southeastern's fault.

Doomotron

Probably, haven't experienced 012. Shocked at the fact that there are only 2 loos. Was in the same coach going back and the loo in coach F had a queue, meaning I had to walk 120 metres to the rear of the train. Quite good otherwise apart from the shout screamy child behind me, but that isn't Southeastern's fault.
They've always had two toilets. Granted their placement isn't very good (coaches 2 and 5 would have made more sense) but it's more than quite a lot of trains which may only have one. I find the new interior to be quite different, when it comes to the colours it feels quite different. I'm not sure if the layout changes which were announced were done or not though.

Dumpton Park

I'm sure I saw a SE publicity video suggesting they'd have upgraded CIS, with flat screens and realtime departure info for stations, etc. Then I saw a walkthrough of a completed unit on YT which showed no changes whatsoever to the original set up.

Did I imagine it?

DP

Doomotron

I'm sure I saw a SE publicity video suggesting they'd have upgraded CIS, with flat screens and realtime departure info for stations, etc. Then I saw a walkthrough of a completed unit on YT which showed no changes whatsoever to the original set up.

Did I imagine it?

DP
Perhaps you're thinking of the Southern Class 377 refurbishment which is adding them? I don't remember them being promised for 395s.

JaJaWa

Established Member

Did I imagine it?

DP
Perhaps you're thinking of the Southern Class 377 refurbishment which is adding them? I don't remember them being promised for 395s.

Post 1 in this thread. Screens coming in 2024.

Cletus

Established Member
Found myself on one the refurbs this afternoon. The seats and tables tops look nice but the carpet, oh dear. Never seen a flooring on a train that shows every crumb, dirt and general mess. Does Southeastern have vacuum cleaners? :smile:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Found myself on one the refurbs this afternoon. The seats and tables tops look nice but the carpet, oh dear. Never seen a flooring on a train that shows every crumb, dirt and general mess. Does Southeastern have vacuum cleaners? :smile:

Now is a bad time to look at floors as most trains will be fill of Killfrost from platform edges that people bring onboard.

Trainlog

I have been on a few of them before Christmas, and apart from the carpet they have done a good job on the refresh.

The seats are still comfortable too which is a relief:).

Doomotron

I have been on a few of them before Christmas, and apart from the carpet they have done a good job on the refresh.

The seats are still comfortable too which is a relief:).
I've found the seats have got slightly better somewhat since the refurbishment - possibly new bases or thicker moquette?

Dumpton Park

395s I was on in December looked remarkably well looked after for 10+ years service, but I really don't understand the UK rail obsession with carpets. They just seem to be asking for trouble and mess - and cause it!

I travel on Iryo in Spain quite a lot. High class, brand new frecciarossa trains. With robust non-stick floors throughout, first class included.

DP

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
395s I was on in December looked remarkably well looked after for 10+ years service, but I really don't understand the UK rail obsession with carpets. They just seem to be asking for trouble and mess - and cause it!

I travel on Iryo in Spain quite a lot. High class, brand new frecciarossa trains. With robust non-stick floors throughout, first class included.

DP
I personally think the lino floor is the only thing that really cheapens the Frecciarossa.

Doomotron

Moquette that's simply new and not worn after many years of service, perhaps?
Possibly, although I remember the original interior even a number of years ago having somewhat thin moquette. Then again, that could just be confirmation bias.

Doomotron

The refurbishment on these looks pretty decent I must say.

Can I ask at this point which units have been refurbished?
I was going to ask the same thing, I was keeping an eye on which units had been done but I've lost count now.