• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 to Brighton - 19/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's a shame they weren't used on a Gatwick Express service as that would have given a new meaning to the term premium service! Lol

There was a pair of 377/6 in one of the Gatwick Express platforms at Victoria this afternoon, although they didn't actually get sent out on an Express.

There was a pair of 377/6 in one of the Gatwick Express platforms at Victoria this afternoon, although they didn't actually get sent out on an Express.

I have seen both 377/1 and 377/4 trains used on Gatwick Express services a few times during 2016.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although the seats in 455s are more comfortable than the 377/6 377/7 387/1 387/2 trains.

That is very subjective, I find the "ironing boards" a lot more comfy than the seats on the 455s. Although being 2+2 with spacing helps.

Although I wouldn't mind a nice fast run if sat in the motor coach :lol:

Yes me too.
Itll be interesting to see that 387/1 being used on GX services again

So are they planning to use 387/1 units on Gatwick Express services? Has this happened in the past?

That is very subjective, I find the "ironing boards" a lot more comfy than the seats on the 455s. Although being 2+2 with spacing helps.

Although I wouldn't mind a nice fast run if sat in the motor coach :lol:

Yes it is debatable. Neither of them have the most comfortable seats. The plug sockets on the 377/6 377/7 387/1 387/2 are the major bonus for me. I personally find the seats in the South West Trains 455s to be far more comfortable than the Southern 455s.

Deepgreen

Established Member

This happens very often these days. It makes for an irritating exit as the GX gate line is almost never available for Southern passengers.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Although the seats in 455s are more comfortable than the 377/6 377/7 387/1 387/2 trains.

It's all very subjective, of course, but the Southern 455s have, in my opinion, the worst seats in the fleet. While I dislike the 377/6, 7 and 387 family seats, I find them a little less uncomfortable.

spark001uk

Established Member
It's all very subjective, of course, but the Southern 455s have, in my opinion, the worst seats in the fleet. While I dislike the 377/6, 7 and 387 family seats, I find them a little less uncomfortable.

Who remembers the seats when they were like this then! ;)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 70

Class377/5

Established Member
So are they planning to use 387/1 units on Gatwick Express services? Has this happened in the past?

387124 is on loan covering 387210 which is off to Derby today for some works.

This has never happened before as GatEx used 387/2. That said 387201/202/203/206/222/223 were borrowed by Thameslink last year for a short period.

tsr

Established Member
This happens very often these days. It makes for an irritating exit as the GX gate line is almost never available for Southern passengers.

That's because it will overcharge Oyster cards if people have used a "Southern" branded service from Gatwick, including if they have interchanged en-route (also applies to anyone having used TL up to East Croydon).

Nb. This is not the time or place to discuss the validity of the premium fares GTR try to put in place for passengers on GX-branded services.

abn444

I do and the seats weren't the worst part. The worst bit was how dirty and vandalised the trains were prior to their refurbishment to the point where the refurbishment made (the SWT ones at least) feel like brand new trains.

In fact as coincidence would have it, I'm currently sat on one of its cousins, the 315, which still has those very seats! ;)

I went on a 315 with these seats a while ago to remind myself of what the old 455 seats were like and found them not to be too bad.

Class455

Established Member

I do! I did like the orange interior but the seats were too low down. I was only a baby when the 455's were like this so I remember having to climb up and kneel on the seat to see through the window and look at the trains! Thank god they all have high back seats now, the 319's still have the lower seats and they are in a right state!

Class455

Established Member

I personally find the seats in the South West Trains 455s to be far more comfortable than the Southern 455s.

Agreed, and the SWT 455's don't have the middle seat, unlike the Southern ones. If the Southern 455's were ever refurbished again (which I doubt very much, but given Eversholt's desire to refurbish the 321's, it could be possible), they should get rid of the middle seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.