• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
My only concern will be the utter chaos on the last day as I suspect many people will be disappointed at not being able to board

If they all turn up on the last day they only have themselves to blame, come down before christmas and enjoy them sensibly and respectfully.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alholmes

National Rail Enquiries posted a report at 12.30, advising of a train fault. Buses to replace trains for remainder of the day.

Chris125

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries posted a report at 12.30, advising of a train fault. Buses to replace trains for remainder of the day.

Electrical fault apparently, fingers crossed for a quick fix and they can get 006 going as backup.

spark001uk

Established Member
I knew going yesterday was a good idea. ;)

(myslef and some other forum members managed a couple of trips on 007 yesterday :D )
There was some talk over on fb group that 7 had a badly sticking door this morning, did you witness such an issue yesterday?

spark001uk

Established Member
Same here, I hope to as well. Even if it is only a 1tph service.
I know I might be jumping the gun a bit as there's not even one working at the moment, but I'm guessing there's next to no chance of returning to a 2tph, ie full 483 service now is there?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The timetable is now officially 1tph to January.

3007 is only out due to the unexpected death of 3006 (or 3008 depending on who you ask). It was never realistically expected to be back in public service. After hibernating since 2017, consider it a bonus if you get it, and I would recommend sooner rather than later.

Probability of full timetable returning before January shutdown is exactly the square root of zero.

Journeyman

Established Member
It is notable that A ends and D ends are mixed although there are 5 of each. Can these trains couple A-A and D-D as well as A-D?

Good question. 70xx and 71xx cab ends normally never coupled to each other in service, as these units had a DM at one end and a UNDM at the other. The double cab unit DMs were numbered in the 75xx series. District line trains don't normally turn in service. I'm assuming if there were any mods needed to allow multiple working on the island, they've been done.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
As mentioned, 007 failed today and limped back to depot with an electrical fault. Reports on the ground suggested it unlikely to return; again as mentioned it was never expected back in service. Contrary to some reports above multiple doors on 007 were sticking on Friday, and there were a few other snags from talking with the train crew.

The fault with 006 is fairly terminal, although as I haven’t seen it elsewhere in the public domain I’m reluctant to say. 008 is a better prospect of return but far from guaranteed.

Absolutely recommend anyone who wants to visit does so ASAP, where permitted by local COVID-19 restrictions.

spark001uk

Established Member
I will do, once I know at least one is back up and running, then it's just a case of get over there sharpish before it packs up again!

jumble

No from what I could see all the doors were operating OK - I certainly didn't notice any delays at stations.

I did observe the guard giving his door a hefty shove shut at Esplanade just before it went off onto the pier.
I am so glad I travelled to IOW on Friday as it was very last minute

Journeyman

Established Member
I did observe the guard giving his door a hefty shove shut at Esplanade just before it went off onto the pier.

This has affected the entire fleet for a long time. The doors on all of them are really sluggish.

Gloster

Established Member
Five years ago I was sitting in a train at Pier Head waiting to go back up to Esplanade. The doors were their usual unpredictable selves. Both sides of one pair slowly wheezed closed: one side got halfway and then thumped to fully across, while the other gave up and had a rest while only part way over. A couple - almost certainly tourists - were sitting opposite me and the woman asked me, “Is there a problem with the doors? Should we tell someone.” I replied, “No, that’s quite normal. The doors are often like that, but the trains are seventy-five years old and you’d take your time at that age.” “Seventy-five! Are they safe?”

TC60054

The fault with 006 is fairly terminal, although as I haven’t seen it elsewhere in the public domain I’m reluctant to say. 008 is a better prospect of return but far from guaranteed.
008 is in worse condition than 006, and that is part of the reason why 008 remains dumped in platform 3 at St Johns and 006 is in the shed being lifted.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This has affected the entire fleet for a long time. The doors on all of them are really sluggish.

Well, the D78s will be familiar, then, as slow doors are a feature of those since Vivarail got their hands on them! :)

008 is in worse condition than 006, and that is part of the reason why 008 remains dumped in platform 3 at St Johns and 006 is in the shed being lifted.

I know it'll be sad for enthusiasts (I too fancied a last go), but is it even worth trying now? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get the buses in for a month?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well, the D78s will be familiar, then, as slow doors are a feature of those since Vivarail got their hands on them! :)

I know it'll be sad for enthusiasts (I too fancied a last go), but is it even worth trying now? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get the buses in for a month?
The railway has people employed to fix things so that’s what they will attempt to do!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get the buses in for a month?

I doubt it, depending on the fix. Cancelling trains is very expensive when you add up the financial implications on all fronts.

That is why sometimes services still run even when it is clear there is no chance of any passenger catching it. It is cheaper to run it than to cancel it.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Which is exactly where DfT needs to look at what the rail industry is costing itself in these ridiculous money-go-round penalties!

AndyW33

Make sure there's no engineering work this weekend. Last weekend there wouldn't have been any trains even if all of them were serviceable.

adc82140

Established Member
I'm there anyway for other things, so if they're running that's a bonus.

MotCO

Established Member
If the old trains are in such a fragile state, is it possible to 'mix and match' the trains, i.e change the trains so that one train comprising carriage A + carriage B and and another train comprising carriage C + carriage D becomes a train composed of carriages A + D? Or do the faults affect the whole train?

Status
Not open for further replies.