• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
The only place that I am aware of where train crews do both roles, alternating between driving and conducting, is the Stourbridge Shuttle which is an independent TOC operating a subcontract for West Midlands Railways.
Do drivers and guards do both roles on the IOW or did I just make that up?

adc82140

Established Member
The only place that I am aware of where train crews do both roles, alternating between driving and conducting, is the Stourbridge Shuttle which is an independent TOC operating a subcontract for West Midlands Railways.
Yep, that's where I got it from. I knew it was a self contained line somewhere.

pdeaves

Established Member
For what it's worth, though nothing to do with IOW, I think Heathrow Express staff used to cover both duties. I don't know if that is still the case.

Goldfish62

Established Member
For what it's worth, though nothing to do with IOW, I think Heathrow Express staff used to cover both duties. I don't know if that is still the case.
They did indeed. Eurostar staff do as well, or at least used to.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Photos on Facebook show 483002 being lifted out of the depot and onto a low loader.
So, I guess during all the discussions about the supposed difficulties of craning them away, no-one had ever appreciated that with the right equipment they could be lifted straight from the up line at Ryde St John’s Rd into the main public car park...

I wonder if they’ll all go that way, including the one for IOWSR preservation?

Hope this link to FB Works:

Last edited:

VEP3417

adam brown posted this photo on facebook showing the different platform heights

Attachments

• ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 313

D365

Veteran Member
So, I guess during all the discussions about the supposed difficulties of craning them away, no-one had ever appreciated that with the right equipment they could be lifted straight from the up line at Ryde St John’s Rd into the main public car park...
Perhaps it’s easier to coordinate while the railway is shut?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's interesting. Apologies if it has been mentioned before, but has the bridge been raised? Or is the bottom of it now 'buried' in the new surface?
One of the recent photos on FB, (also linked from the Island Line Upgrade infrastructure thread), seems to show from the footbridge handrail position that the false floor has been built up round the existing footbridge.

david1212

Established Member

I wonder if they’ll all go that way, including the one for IOWSR preservation?

Hope this link to FB Works:

Thanks for your update.

Easier for the units going for scrap as not got to worry about damage either during lifting or on the trailer without the bogies.

I was expecting all the 483s except 007 to be removed to the mainland on the same transporters that bring the 484s in.

Given there is no physical link at Smallbrook I presume 007 will have to be transferred by road.

paul1609

Established Member
Not entirely sure where you got that from, Southeastern definitely don't have guards or drivers that interchange roles.
Unless its changed recently all Southeastern Mainline Drivers who joined after a certain date also hold a Conductor competency and could be seen doing the Conductors role to keep their competency in date.

Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap! :)

I thought with all that money going in they'd at least build the actual proper platform up.
Hopefully they seal it up properly, it's effectively decking and i know someone who had rats breeding under theirs due to the obvious shelter, not a nice thought!

Vespa

Established Member
Given there is no physical link at Smallbrook I presume 007 will have to be transferred by road.

A massive oversight in my opinion, supposing IOWR want to transfer stock between the two lines for storage or to borrow a shunter from IOWSR, running a railtour between the two, it's easier to use a physical link than a low loader with all the lifting.

When I saw how close the two lines are, so near and so far comes to my mind.

BigB

A massive oversight in my opinion, supposing IOWR want to transfer stock between the two lines for storage or to borrow a shunter from IOWSR, running a railtour between the two, it's easier to use a physical link than a low loader with all the lifting.

Yes it's easier to move the odd train, but there would then be a facing point on the single line and would need protection from operations on the IOWSR such as a catch point too.
Are any of these things that the IOWSR may "want" to do remotely likely?

AndyW33

Who do you think will pay for this? The Island Line franchise will have no need of transferring stock for storage for the next 10-20 years or so, while the 484's last, and there will only be 5 of them, so lots of room in Ryde depot yard, in fact more room than there is at Haven Street. As regards borrowing a shunter, why would they need to? They're managing very well to shunt units and move materials about the line using a road-rail vehicle at present, and that can be used for other jobs when it isn't running in rail mode.

Hopefully they seal it up properly, it's effectively decking and i know someone who had rats breeding under theirs due to the obvious shelter, not a nice thought!
There are photos showing staff busy sealing up the gaps. They aren't stupid! Of course Brading has a station cat, so rats are likely to keep well away from there.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank goodness they're not doing an unnecessarily expensive job, when there's an economical way of raising the platform a few inches.

In effect this work is being done for the next 30+ years. It therefore seems to me to be worth doing it well, so the line and its stations will require few if any repairs in that time.

Established Member
In effect this work is being done for the next 30+ years. It therefore seems to me to be worth doing it well, so the line and its stations will require few if any repairs in that time.
Well, you don't know whether the method they're using is likely to need repairs, or whether they considered how much any repairs might cost compared with the higher cost of solidly building up the platform, so we'll have to agree to meet here in 2051 (+) to see how things have been going.

VEP3417

hope someone saves the cabs off the ones being scraped, seems a waste if not.....id have had one in the garden :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.