• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
The real question is whether it was on its way out, or going back into the county.
Definetley staying in Warwickshire. Both Southam and Long Marston are in Warwickshire :) I doubt it was getting delivered to the IofW.
Ah, sounds like one of the units they'll be finishing off at Southam - the most advanced units at Long Marston have already had logos applied.
The way it was heading suggests it was heading from Southam to Long Marston but I'm not entirely sure, this is Warwickshire countryside and was not far from Southam. This direction seems the most likely but the other way wouldn't be that odd.

D365

Veteran Member
Definetley staying in Warwickshire. Both Southam and Long Marston are in Warwickshire :) I doubt it was getting delivered to the IofW.

They’re not quite ready to be shipped down to Eastleigh then.

tracksider

Sorry if I've missed discussion of this already (had a bit of a search for it) but was it ever an option that a preserved 483 could stay on the Island Line itself for specials?

Speed43125

Sorry if I've missed discussion of this already (had a bit of a search for it) but was it ever an option that a preserved 483 could stay on the Island Line itself for specials?
Haven't ever heard of such a proposal. Biggest obstacle, aside from the money, likely is that the platform heights would no longer be compatible.

Chris125

Established Member

I don't think that's ever been realistic sadly - platform heights, a lack of undercover storage and spares, the probable need for TPWS and cab radio next year all make it impractical. I did see an interesting suggestion that the people looking after Brading could keep one in the old bay platform, but I've no idea if that's a serious idea and it wouldn't be operational.

Gloster

Established Member
Based only a quick glimpse from a passing bus, the set (483 004?) stabled/dumped at the north end of the Down Platform Siding Line at St Johns Road has gone. The set was in the siding was there last time I passed, which I think was Thursday. From an even briefer glimpse there was only one unit in the yard and that was another one as it had no grey paint visible. The start of the clear out?

philthetube

Established Member
, with loads of orange jackets about.If that is the Graffitied one, (grey) it was sat in the disused platform three at St Johns Rd. on Friday lunchtime. along what I imagine to be the defective unit, there waas only a one train service running, sorry, did not see any numbers.

Timmyd

Was on the island today, full service running with 006 and 008. Two units visible in the yard at St John’s, one very dilapidated, one looked quite smart. Didn’t catch numbers although thought one might have said 007, dont rely on that though

Cravens

@Gloster

It appears 004 has been put in the shed for now, based on this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_pilbeam/50497118467/

According to separate commentary (please take this strictly as hearsay), 004 is still designated a runner, it was however overdue an exam. I must admit, from having seen pictures of it with no shoegear and no driving controls, I find that claim somewhat hard to believe. It's too late in the day to examine 004 and have it ready again surely? I imagine they would only have taken it in to cannibalise it further, or else ready it for its departure from the island.

Vespa

Established Member
With 11 weeks to go before the planned 3 months line shut down, it's hardly worth giving them an exam.

008 was on exam that was why it was stopped, I would say the shunt was to recover something for work arising perhaps. It wasn't specifically stopped for a fault.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I presume that in this case it's called SLC because San Luis Railroad Company in Colorado, USA is its holding company?

Do you have confirmation of that statement? SLC Rail appears to me to be a purely British organisation who among other things will be involved in constructing three new railway stations in Birmingham over the next few years.

AY1975

Established Member
Do you have confirmation of that statement? SLC Rail appears to me to be a purely British organisation who among other things will be involved in constructing three new railway stations in Birmingham over the next few years.
No I don't, I'm only guessing. I was wondering what SLC stood for and that was the only railway company called SLC to which I could find any reference where it told you what it stood for. If it's not that, does anyone know what SLC stands for in this case? Those links to SLC Operations and SLC Rail don't seem to tell you.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No I don't, I'm only guessing. I was wondering what SLC stood for and that was the only railway company called SLC to which I could find any reference where it told you what it stood for. If it's not that, does anyone know what SLC stands for in this case? Those links to SLC Operations and SLC Rail don't seem to tell you.
By following up a few Googled links the SLC here is the initials of “Sable Leigh Consultancy”, of the same address. One Adrian Shooter has been a director since 2015.

Dunfanaghy Rd

How disappointingly humdrum.
San Luis Central Railroad is owned by Ed Burkhardt's company, Rail World. In fact he was its treasurer for years, while he was involved with Wisconsin Central (and, of course, us in EWS). Imagine the reaction if he was involved over here again!
Pat

Wyrleybart

Established Member
How disappointingly humdrum.
San Luis Central Railroad is owned by Ed Burkhardt's company, Rail World. In fact he was its treasurer for years, while he was involved with Wisconsin Central (and, of course, us in EWS). Imagine the reaction if he was involved over here again!
Pat
After the utter devastation caused by the runaway oil train, I wonder if the Americans / Canadians will ever let Burkhardt practice again. For those who don't know, Burkhardt took Driver Only Operations back to North America with him. His railroad was operating a freight train headed by five elderly diesels, the lead loco of which wasn't in the best of health. Hours late the train ended up being tied up in a small town while engineer (driver) went to a hotel for rest. He didn't apply parking brakes to the vehicles because he was already out of time, so chose to leave a loco running which would maintain the air and keep the brakes applied.

Unfortunately, that loco had already been booked for exhaust issues and was smoking, so someone raised the alarm while the train was parked unmanned. The fire truck turned up and shut the remaining diesel down to cure the smoking problem. Because the train was unmanned the fire department didn't realise the results of what was about to happen. The air dissipated, then the brakes released and the train rolled away out of control, derailed and turned the town of Lac Magantic into a firestorm with dozens kieed.

That basically is what happens when you cut too many corners. Fortunately, here in the UK we have restrictions on DOO operation, and that event would not be allowed to happen in the UK.

This is a graphical simplified reconstruction

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
After the utter devastation caused by the runaway oil train, I wonder if the Americans / Canadians will ever let Burkhardt practice again. For those who don't know, Burkhardt took Driver Only Operations back to North America with him. His railroad was operating a freight train headed by five elderly diesels, the lead loco of which wasn't in the best of health. Hours late the train ended up being tied up in a small town while engineer (driver) went to a hotel for rest. He didn't apply parking brakes to the vehicles because he was already out of time, so chose to leave a loco running which would maintain the air and keep the brakes applied.

Unfortunately, that loco had already been booked for exhaust issues and was smoking, so someone raised the alarm while the train was parked unmanned. The fire truck turned up and shut the remaining diesel down to cure the smoking problem. Because the train was unmanned the fire department didn't realise the results of what was about to happen. The air dissipated, then the brakes released and the train rolled away out of control, derailed and turned the town of Lac Magantic into a firestorm with dozens kieed.

That basically is what happens when you cut too many corners. Fortunately, here in the UK we have restrictions on DOO operation, and that event would not be allowed to happen in the UK.

This is a graphical simplified reconstruction
And will using 484s on the IoW increase or decrease the risk of this happening?

DavidGrain

Established Member
As we have established that Burkhardt has nothing to do with SLC Rail/SLC Operations can we close this line of discussion please?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
And will using 484s on the IoW increase or decrease the risk of this happening?
Very much reduced or even eliminated.
I just hope that sometime between January and April, Network Rail are going to run a tamper the length of the route several times to make the track a little sweeter. 483008 which I rode last month could probably cope, but if Vivarail are sticking TPWS GSM-R and other computerised kit into the 484s they will be in for a rough ride.

Fincra5

Established Member
I just hope that sometime between January and April, Network Rail are going to run a tamper the length of the route several times to make the track a little sweeter. 483008 which I rode last month could probably cope, but if Vivarail are sticking TPWS GSM-R and other computerised kit into the 484s they will be in for a rough ride.

Will they even have either? Small area, 1 Signal Box and so on. Will NR feel the need for TPWS?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will they even have either? Small area, 1 Signal Box and so on. Will NR feel the need for TPWS?
TPWS throughout.
It’s in the PIN for the work, which was quoted in the Line Upgrade thread here:
Signalling works: New signalling will be provided to control the new loop at Brading station together with the provision of a new control panel at Ryde St Johns signal box. Additionally, TPWS will be provided throughout the Island line together with the upgrading of a number of point mechanisms. To support the new signalling system at Brading station, a time division multiplexor system will be installed which will also replace the current westinghouse S2 legacy system provided at Sandown.

Dunfanaghy Rd

If NR / SWR don't replace a lot of the existing Island ballast there won't be any point tamping. It will just grind the shingle down, and squeeze it out of the sleeper ends as well.
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.