• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I expect that people will still be saying that even when the 484s have been back and forth a few times, it comes up that often...
It's understandable, I suppose, given how regularly we were told that only Tube stock would fit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Only up until the 484s were announced though, I’d have thought...
It's amazing what people think gets overlooked. I worked on the Edinburgh Tram project, and explained to someone how the trams don't have axles and each wheel has an independent motor. He claimed this was a physical impossibility and the trams would never move...despite the first vehicle having already completed tests by then.

Trackman

Established Member
Doesn't the tunnel track bed have to be lowered first for them to fit?
I thought the width was the gauging issue rather than the height regarding other stock running through the tunnel, could be wrong.
Lots of people about now for the final trip on Railcam. edit: about 5 mins away
Edit: 547 now watching!

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
I thought the width was the gauging issue rather than the height regarding other stock running through the tunnel, could be wrong.
Lots of people about now for the final trip on Railcam. edit: about 5 mins away
Edit: 547 now watching!

No, I'm not sure tbh, just thought tunnel gauging was an issue.

The issue was a beam in the roof of the tunnel at Ryde, but it was remedied several years ago.

So can they ( or have) passed through the tunnel?

Chris125

Established Member
So can they ( or have) passed through the tunnel?

The 'beam' theory appears to be another myth I'm afraid.

As posted previously there's a first-hand account in the new RydeRail book about 03079, a good few inches taller than a 484, getting through the tunnel many years before the covered way was re-roofed. This is consistent with the headroom being reduced to 12ft 3in at electrification.

"03079 with it's original (12ft+) cab was squeezed through the tunnel both ways on its arrival back in '84 - that wasn't possible with the bridges carrying Smallbrook Lane and Rink Road so both shunters had their cabs cut down at Ryde.

This is consistent with photos of the 'covered way' being built and it's recent reconstruction (I'm not aware of anything in the 60s), both showing it's original cast-iron construction which had no obvious impact on headroom"

Last edited:

VEP3417

IMG_20201212_200932_852.jpg.gallery.jpg

can you blame people for thinking the new ones wont fit at a glance :lol:

saved the photo from online ages ago but forgot the original poster to credit them

adc82140

Established Member
There was a comment on local radio this morning from presenter Rick Jackson. He is a bus and ferry enthusiast. He was making fun of the rumours spreading around the island on Facebook that coach loads of rail enthusiasts were coming off the ferries. It was a rather satisfying slapdown of the internet rumour mill, and he was commending the sensible behaviour of the few enthusiasts that turned up.

Journeyman

Established Member
Is there any sign of boots on the ground in terms of the upgrade project? Is there any construction going on yet?

Mainline421

Is there any sign of boots on the ground in terms of the upgrade project? Is there any construction going on yet?
There were some people in full Network Rail hi-vis there yesterday. I heard power was switched off within 10 minutes of the last service arriving back at Ryde.

Journeyman

Established Member
There were some people in full Network Rail hi-vis there yesterday. I heard power was switched off within 10 minutes of the last service arriving back at Ryde.
Makes sense. Am I right in thinking the power supply is getting an upgrade?

pompeyfan

Established Member

the power gets switched off every night after last train

Journeyman

Established Member
the power gets switched off every night after last train
No, it doesn't. London Underground do that as a matter of routine, but Network Rail don't. Under normal circumstances all electrified lines are live 24/7.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
No, it doesn't. London Underground do that as a matter of routine, but Network Rail don't. Under normal circumstances all electrified lines are live 24/7.

I promise you Island line gets the power switched off at the end of service....

Journeyman

Established Member
I promise you Island line gets the power switched off at the end of service....
If it does, that's completely different from what happens on the mainland (and Island Line's power supply is controlled from there). Where did you get that info?

dorsetdesiro

View attachment 88157

can you blame people for thinking the new ones wont fit at a glance :lol:

saved the photo from online ages ago but forgot the original poster to credit them

The 483 coming face to face with its successor reminds me of the Daleks vs the Paradigm ones in Dr Who

old-new-dalek.png

pompeyfan

Established Member
If it does, that's completely different from what happens on the mainland (and Island Line's power supply is controlled from there). Where did you get that info?

I agree it isn’t usual precedent. I’m not at liberty to explain exactly how I know other than it’s a very small part of my job

Lockwood

The mainland has stuff moving all the time. If nothing runs on the iow after the last service, what would the benefit of leaving the juice on be?

Makes sense to turn it off to preserve equipment (unless the startup process is more taxing) and to save fuel/money.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Just posting this from Railwaygazzette.com for amusement

GERMANY: The first Class 483/484 EMUs for the Berlin S-Bahn network began running on route S47 in the early hours of January 1, as the route became the first in the city to be operated under a tendered contract.
1609930237271.png

D365

Veteran Member
Wow, Vivarail’s really branching out!

In fairness, they do have a speciality in two car units.

Status
Not open for further replies.