• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 50 now released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Downlading now, but promises to be good if other things from BVETMD are to the same standard

eifion

Just took it out on the 0800 Maybank - Hammerwich vice 37 416.
Excellent bit of kit just like The Class 31 and 37 901 before it.
Well Done Llangollen-Diesels and The Bodmin and Wenford Railway Staff.
:wav:

Turbostar

Have tried modifying 'panel_mod1' & creating different variations by changing the colour of the left window surround, so I can have different versions, i.e. large logo, NSE, NSE Rev., but for some reason it stays yellow. Is there another file I need to change as well? Cheers.

Mart

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The class 50 is brilliant!

I love every aspect of the train, especially when I pull out of a station, on notch 5, 6 then-7.

The first time i drove this great engine, I went straight up to full power, without knowing about the rev limiter feature which is very realistic, and just adds to the realism of driving the 50.

11/10 :D

Bill EWS

Hi,
Another great addition to BVE4 trains. Having driven these locos in service I was keen to see, and hear what it would do and I wasn't disappointed, even down to the fact that you can't see the speedo below 20mph while the power controller is closed. Of course, on the real thing you can look around ior over it, but in BVE, it stays hidden.

I ran it in place of the HST in NWM 14.00 XP to Hammerwich. I lost three minutes over the entire route compared to the HST booking. Some of this was due to, on first time run, finding the brakes very powerful and bringing me to an abrupt halt short of the mark. Below 20mph brake force 1 & 2 is more than enough. But other than that, which will improve with practice, the Class 50 looks and sounds great and traction hum adds to the realism.

I liked the 50's. They were powerful, good excelleration (for the time) and cruised beautifully. The negative points were the badly fitted seats, which made us stand up driving most of the time and the low exhaust vent on the roof which allowed the exhaust to blow into the cab, especially during shunting, that would have your eyes streaming for ages afterwards and you could almost chew the exhaust in the cab.

Well done to everyone involved.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

thefab444

Established Member
Is it only me who found after installing this loco, the clock always started at 00:00:00 on an activity. As soon as I uninstalled it, the clock began working fine again!

Turbostar

Works fine for me. Question: is there some sorta overspeed device on the loco? Just that if I try to go over 100mph, the power is cut until the speed drops to 100, then kicks in again. Havn't noticed this on any other loco or unit.

Mart

Muppet

I think theres one on the HST, 130 if i remeber correctly.

Gotta thrash the guts out of it though :)

Bill EWS

RE: Today, 10:27 AM #18
Mart 158741

When we first worked class 50's the line, and coaching stock was 95mph maximum. However, we did work over the Coventry-Birmingham line where we could get them up to 100, if for just brief moments, but I don't remember them cutting out. Perhaps someone who worked them regularly between Crew and Glasgow where they would cruise at 100 mph for longer periods, with the possibilty of over running could comment.

A number of changes were made to the 50's when they transferred to the Western Region and a top speed limit may have been one of them. They had Reostatic braking, which was removed, for increased reliability and servicing, so they said. The reostatic brake operated automatically down to 60 mph when the normal clasp brakes would take over. Reostatic braking was excellent and I missed that facility when it went.

I expect the present preserved 50's are probably in the state they were during their Western Region period, unless they have had the reostatic brake system re-enstated! But wouldn't see the need for it in their present use.

Most modern locomotives have 'cut-out' these days. The Class 66's are set to cut out at 75 mph but has the annoying habit of cutting in anywhere between 73-75. You do have to allow speed to drop to 70 mph before power is re-enstated. Give the BVE4 66 a go and you will soon learn how this system works. I think you will find that most drivers keep them cruising around 73 mph and not take the chance of a cut out, which can be annoying. However on the flat or slight up gradient you don't need to brake down to 70 mph, unless the gradient keeps increasing speed, but simply, shut the controller and let the loco/train quietly reduce speed at their own momentum. Then pick up speed if necessary.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Simon_G

The BVE Class 50 does have a limiter set to 100mph (162Kph actually!), but I don't know whether this is a prototypical feature. The 158 doesn't, but the tractive effort will be falling away to practically nothing at that speed anyway.

pedned

tis' good yar. - Great work. :smile:

tis' too big yarr...
:lol: ;) :lol:
thrashen ze E.E ooo tis good :lol::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
RE: Today, 10:27 AM #18
Mart 158741

When we first worked class 50's the line, and coaching stock was 95mph maximum. However, we did work over the Coventry-Birmingham line where we could get them up to 100, if for just brief moments, but I don't remember them cutting out. Perhaps someone who worked them regularly between Crew and Glasgow where they would cruise at 100 mph for longer periods, with the possibilty of over running could comment.

A number of changes were made to the 50's when they transferred to the Western Region and a top speed limit may have been one of them. They had Reostatic braking, which was removed, for increased reliability and servicing, so they said. The reostatic brake operated automatically down to 60 mph when the normal clasp brakes would take over. Reostatic braking was excellent and I missed that facility when it went.

I expect the present preserved 50's are probably in the state they were during their Western Region period, unless they have had the reostatic brake system re-enstated! But wouldn't see the need for it in their present use.

Most modern locomotives have 'cut-out' these days. The Class 66's are set to cut out at 75 mph but has the annoying habit of cutting in anywhere between 73-75. You do have to allow speed to drop to 70 mph before power is re-enstated. Give the BVE4 66 a go and you will soon learn how this system works. I think you will find that most drivers keep them cruising around 73 mph and not take the chance of a cut out, which can be annoying. However on the flat or slight up gradient you don't need to brake down to 70 mph, unless the gradient keeps increasing speed, but simply, shut the controller and let the loco/train quietly reduce speed at their own momentum. Then pick up speed if necessary.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

the power was restricted late on into their lives due to high speed running causing main genny flash overs.
|Not sure if they were restricted though or if the drivers wer told to not exceed xx mph... not to exceed 85 at one point wasnt it... and what year(s) was you driving between cov and brum bill...

My dad used to bash the hoovers in 83 / 84. Living in cov it was customary to give a bellow from the back of westwood road if he didnt have fair 8-) 8-)

bodmindiesels

Hi All

Really nice to see some good comments about the loco. It's just me and Martin (from Llangollen diesels) who spent our own free (?!) time making this project. It took many many photos all at the same time to get the animation, but I think it's a great addition. It was never going to be perfect, its a limitation of BVE but it's not a bad one either :)

Anyhow, like I've said elsewhere, 50s are expesnive machines to keep on the road, along with three other big diesels in our fleet we would appreciate if you chaps could download and dig deep and support preseration of 50042 "Triumph" You can do this in various ways,
postal orders or cheques must be made out to Bodmin And Wenford Mainline Diesel Group, and posted to;

Bodmin & Wenford Mainline Diesel Group
Bodmin & Wenford Railway,
General Station,
BODMIN,
Cornwall,
PL31 1AQ

We are looking into a paypal account thingy me jig and will update as and when this comes to fruition. If you wish to contribute another way or just wish to make known that your making a donation, please contact through our website at www.bodmindiesels.co.uk or support(AT)bodmindiesels.co.uk

Now, I'm off to prepare the real Triumph for her running day tommorow (if your there come up and say hello) and we'll make an impact on Bodmin's ozone layer.

Cheers
BOB (beast of bodmin)

Bill EWS

Hi Pedned and Bodmindiesel,
I returned to Didcot Depot from Marylebone in 1980 and learned the Class 50's soon after that. Our main work was on the Western but had some duties to Birmingham via Oxford on express trains and worked 50's until their demise from the mainline. I can't remember what year that was now!!!

Knowing the financial costs in running most mainline locos I am always surprised as to how a group or individual can afford to preserve and run any one of them. It's always good to see these locos up and running and I wish them all the success. The Class 47 was my favourite loco and would have loved to have owned one, if only as a static display, but somehow the bank balance wouldn't stand it and I don't think one would fit into the back yard!!! The 47's looked their best in the original two-tone green, in my opinion.

I have never been to Bodmin but came across it while looking over the area in Google Earth. It looks like an interesting railway centre.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.