• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60s

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah Charles Babbage is the last remaining Petroleum 60, possibly even the last remaining sub sector 60? The rest have got the "big beastie" stickers. Absolutely fantastic; a petroleum branded loco actually hauling an oil train, oh the nostalgia...

Are all the Jarrow oils still 60 hauled? Would think it would be a bit tricky to roster one for each service given the small number of 60s active, but I'm sure a 66 couldn't handle 28 loaded TEAs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maxfly

I thought the 66's were leased?? If so to put them into store would cost dbs money in leasing fees whereas the 60's are owned by them so they wouldn't have to still pay a leasing cost to store them?!?!
Hopefully freight will increase in the future and more locos will be needed which could see 60's being refurbed and pressed back into service:)

Established Member
Are all the Jarrow oils still 60 hauled? Would think it would be a bit tricky to roster one for each service given the small number of 60s active, but I'm sure a 66 couldn't handle 28 loaded TEAs.

Hit and miss, last week it was but today it was a 66 - it is usually double-headed by 66s but I only caught a glimpse of one at Jarrow when I went past on the Metro. Also I don't think Jarrow can handle the full 28 rake of tanks, it is usually split at Tyne Yard for two workings.

GearJammer

Hopefully freight will increase in the future and more locos will be needed which could see 60's being refurbed and pressed back into service

It would be good to see but as much as i hate to say it i don't think we'll ever see the fleet back up to 100 again!

Does anyone know which ones have been in store the longest or wether a select few have been robbed of parts to keep the others going like 58002 & 58017 have been at Eastleigh, i was shocked to see pics of them grounded with no bogies, are any of the 60's in a similar state?

whoshotjimmi

Could it just be that the class 60's do not provide enough of a financial return and that the purchase of more 66's is more cost effective in the long run.......

I agree that it is criminal that they are being stored. As it was criminal to retire 58's. But if they do not do what the operator wants, then it doesn't matter really, does it? If a product is available that is cheaper and more reliable and can do very similar amounts of work, it doesn't stand a chance. Sadly.

Established Member
You'd still think that giving them an overhaul would be cheaper than buying new. Especially when they were only 7/8 years old when they got them in the first place.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Saw 60040 on the morning Lindsey to Jarrow oil working today, was well pleased with that!

Yeah the Jarrow oil is split at Tyne Yard into two 14 tank portions to head into Jarrow terminal, I've watched it many times. There's still the need for suitable motive power to haul the whole 2800 tonne train from Humberside to Tyne Yard though ;)

None of the 60s are in as poor condition as the Eastleigh 58s; they are all still on their bogies and reasonably intact. I don't know of any "component recovery" going on between class members at the moment. I don't have any specific details of how long the various locos have been in store, but I know that 60081 (the GWR green one) has been out of use for a couple of years now, with little hope of a return to service after it put a piston through the engine casing.

littleroe

Saw 60085 'mini - pride of oxford' hauling a set of network rail ballast wagons out of the Network rail test track at Edwinstowe on Friday 2nd April. Good to see as even when high marnham powerstation was open, they hardly made an appearance.

KingboyD

Moog_1984

There was an investigation into one of the piston chucking incidents and it concluded that poor inspection, maintenance and simple oil changes caused it!

It is ironic that the locos would probably have been more successful at the original marine PU rating of 3500: the lower rating caused uneven heating along the block leading to failures.

I reckon: The government should force a sale of the 60s, since it is criminal to store them and they were paid for with public money ( interesting to see just how cheap they went for to private). Then they should get the engines properly inspected to see if they are worth keeping or selling off, and then shove in the RK215T v12 without any silencers.......

WOOF!

ailsa

The land of crop circles and white horses
Then they should get the engines properly inspected to see if they are worth keeping or selling off, and then shove in the RK215T v12 without any silencers.......

WOOF!

I was thinking (from a purely enthusiast point of view) that Paxman 12VP185's and new alternators might be a nice cure for the 'piston chucking problem' :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My more realist head says that the A.B.C. V12 as used in the Voith Maxima might work as a solution. The power output is around 3550 hp at 1000rpm. I wonder if it would fit within the bodyshell?

43021HST

Established Member
Hi all,

I read previously that the 60s were put into store, however on one of many Gospel oak shuttles today i saw 60051 pass through Gospel Oak with what looked like an aggregate train (was dark) around 21.00 hrs. Dont normally put these things down but i thought that some would want to know.

I saw 60051 a couple of weeks ago in Acton Yard, dissappointed I couldnt take a Picture cos I was on a HST at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.