• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 68 Progress, what's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunbird24

What's the latest on the Class 68 locomotives?
68 011 was on 1K57 London Marylebone - Kidderminster today.

Is it running throughout now or just the southern or northern portion?
None of the second batch have appeared outside the erecting shop yet so they are still some weeks away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunbird24

The landslip problem was fixed sufficiently for normal through services to resume last Friday, if that's what you are referring to?

Thanks, just arrived in uk for a short visit and read that the line was scheduled to reopen on April 2nd, so this is a bonus. Will try to schedule a trip to Banbury before leaving.

Last edited:

Sunbird24

Vosslohs 1st task this year was to supply the frst 15 locos of the Euro4000HP contract to South Africa by April and most have been shipped. I believe both 68s and 88s will appear shortly but the 88 will likely go to Velim for testing before any are released so don't expect any in U.K foe a few months yet. I will announce here when the first ones appear outside the doors, usually 2 or 3 months before delivery.

didcot

According to Chiltern the 68s to take over from April. Also more of the Marylebone - Birmingham services to be loco hauled

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm not normally one for this kind of thing but 68014 was spotted at Stourbridge Junction at around 09.00 this morning and also late afternoon. The loco appeared to be stabled in the sidings and was painted in some sort of silver livery.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thursday 19.03.2015 My observations :-

Marylebone
17:50 to Banbury cancelled (door problem)
18:15 to North(iirc) 67014
18:47 to Kidderminster 68011 - this was apparently the stock for the 17:15 which was not ready in time so presumably swapped diagrams with a 168.
Apparently the earlier services were 67 hauled.

Wembley LMD (18:12-18:17)
68012 + Blue Mk3s (presumably the failed 17:50 Banbury set)
68011 + Silver MK3s (which left for Marylebone)

Apparently :-
1) The coaches give problems and the 68s are pretty good.
2) Once the 68s reach about 30 mph they really accelerate. Funny I thought they were pretty nippy from about 2 mph !.
3) Some people think the 68s sound like Hymeks. I don't know as the first Hymeks I saw were the last seven (or was it 11 ?) in a line at Old Oak Common viewed from the canal and they were derelict :cry:.

The 68s are certainly more of a loco than we have had delivered new for many a year. This covers looks, sound and performance. Maybe not as good as a pair of MD655s imo though ;).

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not normally one for this kind of thing but 68014 was spotted at Stourbridge Junction at around 09.00 this morning and also late afternoon. The loco appeared to be stabled in the sidings and was painted in some sort of silver livery.

Yep 68014 was no where to be seen despite being reported (on TOPS ?) as at Wembley LMD for about the last Month. Presumably its still living at Stourbridge as per most of March !.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That 68 in ScotRail livery looks pretty sweet! 68s starting on Chiltern soon is definitely good news, will definitely be worth doing a WMDR next month to start getting them in all being well :D

CosherB

Established Member
are the coaches to be used getting full livery as well?

well painting stuff in corporate livery is very popular at the moment (91's / Mk 4's, Caledonian sleeper locos) so quite possible.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
are the coaches to be used getting full livery as well?

Don't know, but as DRS are hurriedly refurbishing a further fleet of Mk2s for the Fife Circle jobs it's certainly plausible that they will come out in ScotRail - They have after all got to stretch their Mk2 rakes between Greater Anglia, Cumbrian Coast and Fife Circle.

CC 72100

Established Member
Don't know, but as DRS are hurriedly refurbishing a further fleet of Mk2s for the Fife Circle jobs it's certainly plausible that they will come out in ScotRail - They have after all got to stretch their Mk2 rakes between Greater Anglia, Cumbrian Coast and Fife Circle.

The way that we're seeing Mark 2 fleets in reasonable nick being stretched makes me think that we won't be seeing lots of Mark 3s cut up as soon as they are withdrawn from regular service.

1) The coaches give problems and the 68s are pretty good.

The coaches on the Banbury set are notoriously flaky, being unrefurbished and a bit tired. Even the refurbished sets seem to fail quite regularly, although to be fair it might just be more noticeable when they do.

Quite strange to see the shiny new loco on the front of the oldest coaching stock, though.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I do find it curious that Chiltern haven't refurbished the Banbury set to the same standard, to use it as a common pool.

route:oxford

Established Member
I do find it curious that Chiltern haven't refurbished the Banbury set to the same standard, to use it as a common pool.

Wouldn't the big problem be finding the spare coaches to cover for this set whilst the work takes place?

I'm guessing that "Chilterned MkIII" coach shouldn't be used in the same formation as heritage stock.

ARoo21

Confirmed that this will be the last week of Class 67's running before the full roll out of Class 68 locomotives happens - Richard Clinnick taking a trip to Marlyebone on Thursday (what he said on twitter) :D

Sunbird24

67013 and 67014 were both active yesterday 23rd Mar, seen both ways through Banbury. 68011 was the only class member seen, on a Stourbridge to Wembley run.

Status
Not open for further replies.