• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 68 Progress, what's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunbird24

68 003 should be almost completed by now with 004 well under way?

At least one is virtually complete, it can just be seen in this picture https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...76472130.1073741830.1192973669&type=3&theater behind 772. This was taken on December 27th so it could be nearing completion now and its likely that at least a couple more are almost at the same stage by now. It is also likely that the remainder may be held back until testing has been completed in case there are any modifications required which could be incorporated easier in the factory.
Factory output is 150 units per year but this includes trams also so locomotive output is perhaps half that or less. One per week on average seems to be about what I see and as this includes Euro 3200's for Israel and Euro 4000's for 2-3 customers we are possibly looking at 1 per month more or less.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

'Intrepid' might be out and about Mon/Tue

Dynamic brake testing with rake of Mk2 and the DBS 90 on hire to DRS, 020 or 028, between Carlisle and Preston.

Meanwhile, 11 class 68s for Chiltern to follow the DRS 68s and 88s off the production line...? Hmm...

83G/84D

Established Member
68002 registered on TOPS today but no workings shown for today, loco still at Carlisle Kingmoor.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nice one!! Can't wait to see what the final fleet size in the UK will be. I would hope Scotrail can put in an order for a handful.

If they're happy with the service DBS's 67s are giving them on the Sleeper it is unlikely. Perhaps the standalone sleeper franchise may take loco provision "in house"- as soon as they possibly can Scotrail will get rid of the Fife hauled service and go all-unit.

route:oxford

Established Member
If they're happy with the service DBS's 67s are giving them on the Sleeper it is unlikely. Perhaps the standalone sleeper franchise may take loco provision "in house"- as soon as they possibly can Scotrail will get rid of the Fife hauled service and go all-unit.

Is the 68 likely to have higher line speeds on WHL?

Photohunter71

I believe that will happen in due course,but not for a good few years yet! And it's always wise to have a back-up plan!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I really doubt that, whatever you may wish, the Scotrail franchise will ever take on locos as part of its main fleet (ie helping fund a ROSCO purchase of them).

fgwrich

Established Member
For anyone aiming to see it going down to Crewe, it's running with the 90 on the front and 'Intrepid' tucked inside. Whether or not it'll run back today I don't know but if it does then it'll have the 68 on the front. It's also running 72 minutes late.

Strathclyder

Established Member
First video of the run now up on Youtube:
[youtube]?v=GUxUXt9MlU4[/youtube]

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
'Intrepid' is out and about again today. Not sure whether it's being 90 hauled again or on it's own now.

12:54 - DRS Class 68 test run - 5Z69 Carlisle to Crewe Gresty Green Up Loop
19:19 - DRS Class 68 test run - 5Z70 Crewe Gresty Green Up Loop to Carlisle

Yew

Established Member
Related Question: How do drivers 'sign' a new locomotive like this?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
At long last a nice looking locomotive. Not perfect but arguably impossible to achieve perfection. But better than most of the efforts from the last 20-30 years. A bit better than a 60/92 and far better than 59s/66s/70s.

A real cast nameplate as well.

andrewg70

ModernRailways

Established Member
At long last a nice looking locomotive. Not perfect but arguably impossible to achieve perfection. But better than most of the efforts from the last 20-30 years. A bit better than a 60/92 and far better than 59s/66s/70s.

A real cast nameplate as well.

I really quite like the 66/70s myself! All depends on taste really. To me the 68 looks like an angry 67 :P Hopefully the will sound just as good as 70s do!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Has the 68 pulled a train in the UK yet, or has the 90/47 always been the lead loco?

EDIT: my two thousandth is an untypically short post

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Has the 68 pulled a train in the UK yet, or has the 90/47 always been the lead loco?

EDIT: my two thousandth is an untypically short post

It hasn't ran itself yet. I believe it will be a few weeks before it does so too as it has a load of testing to do first. It may be used in Kingmoor yard though to do some work

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Were my eyes playing tricks on me, or did I just see the 47 + mk2s + 68 going northbound through Stoke?

Had the same problem. Train went passed, 47 on the front and I thought nothing of it for a while, then I realised there was a 68 in the formation behind the leading loco. It ran Stoke to Derby just before 1100. Details were on Realtime Trains (or was it Open Train Times?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.